Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fox prototype addressing reliability concerns?
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Spot the grease ports?

How would that work then, fresh grease pushed down into the fork surely?

https://twitter.com/#!/PeteMichaliszyn

wrecker
    Free Member

Good idea; invert them to remove the old crappy oil and then right then in inject the nice new oil. ALL forks would benefit from those I reckon.

strike
    Free Member

Manitou Prep-M grease ports (circa 1999) anyone?!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Surely the problem wouldn’t exist if the seals were allowed to weep oil, thus pushing contaminants out of the way?

I do agree that more forks should have lube ports though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Manitou Prep-M grease ports (circa 1999) anyone?!

That’s what I thought, and Pace forks.

PJM1974
    Free Member

If this sort of thing catches on then it’s a good job Hayes don’t insist Manitou use their brand name marketing forks…

techsmechs
    Free Member

Are you sure they’re grease ports….?

MadPierre

Surely the problem wouldn’t exist if the seals were allowed to weep oil, thus pushing contaminants out of the way?

I thought Fox seals did that anyway?! 😉 Can’t beat having plenty of oil on the stanchions for the dust to stick to….

Rockshox Totems come with little nub screws at the bottom to allow a “5 minute oil change”. Dunno why others don’t?

titusrider
    Free Member

Techsmechs: no, just look like that to me

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Any reason you couldn’t drill and fit them to current forks (carefully)
    not that I’m qualified..

khani
    Free Member

They don’t look like grease ports, more like something to attach a syringe with a hose to, turn upside down, suck out old oil, inject new oil type thing
    Looks like an ok idea, but you can’t give the seals a wipe clean if any cruds trapped in em…

techsmechs
    Free Member

My guess would be either a mount for a potentiometer or some other data collection device.

Its a prototype – it’ll probably be apart every other run so a device to reduce time apart probably isn’t important

greeble
    Free Member

direct mount for the mojo defender…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My guess would be either a mount for a potentiometer or some other data collection device.

Its a prototype – it’ll probably be apart every other run so a device to reduce time apart probably isn’t important

For measuring the voltage drop accross the stanchions? Naahhhhh, given the cost of making one off castings would be horrificly high it must be something usefull for production models.

Syringing oil in/out would be a good idea, presumambly having it at the top gives the foam-rings a good soaking making them plush from the start?

Odd that it’s on the 180mm forks, you’d think any greese/oil injection would be more usefull on forks that saw hours of use every day in the mud rather than <1hour of downhill runs in the bike park.

greeble
    Free Member

Odd that it’s on the 180mm forks, you’d think any greese/oil injection would be more usefull on forks that saw hours of use every day in the mud rather than <1hour of downhill runs in the bike park.

200mm forks.

and the forks get alot more hammering in 1hour of dh than a few hours of xc/ enduro.

cookeaa

don’t think they’re for oil changes looks to be positioned between the oil and wiper seals, I’d expect the best place to put an oil change port would be towards the foot of the lower, could possibly be a grease port but then it’s in about the worst place you could put it for picking up dust and crud from the wheel?…

techsmechs suggestion of a potentiometer is a good one, could be for a pressure transducer to try and measure changes in pressure between the seals and/or even a thermocouple to gauge heat buildup at the seals over the course of a run?

Might just be the official 2013 model Fox mounting points for a fender, just so they can piss on MoJOs chips again…

I do like the “Spy shots” a few wild guesses over the latest unfamiliar whirlygig…

compositepro
    Free Member

they did hire a guy who knows lots about magnetorheological dampers

uselesshippy
    Free Member

U-brake mounts 😀

dirtydog
    Free Member

Could be grease ports.

Apparently in race circles it’s not uncommon to remove the foam rings and fill the void with grease.

Maybe they’ve done away with the foam rings!

see 7:00

http://mtbcut.pinkbike.com/blog/Team-CRCNukeproof-Tech-Sessions-MSA-Fork-StripBuild.html

Northwind

I don’t think Fox prototype this sort of thing- they just declare “New mcguffin improves reliability” and rely on the press repeating it, then when it doesn’t work they just announce another one next year.

khani
    Free Member

Not sure about the electro magnetic damper thingy, it’d only be needed on the damper side not both legs, Unless it could adjust the travel as well,
    For oil changes I reckon,

titusrider
    Free Member

Someone agrees with me + it might be a full air fork

Prototype Fox 40 Photos Surface! Updated

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there v brake mounts……

roberthamer
    Free Member

I don’t think Fox prototype this sort of thing- they just declare “New mcguffin improves reliability” and rely on the press repeating it, then when it doesn’t work they just announce another one next year.

+1

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fox prototype addressing reliability concerns?’ is closed to new replies.