Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Fox Forx – Massive mark up or clearance sale?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Ive just bought a pair of Fox Float 150mm Kashima 15 QR forks from CRC.
    (Lucky me).
    I paid £349 for these forks.
    My question is………….. how can CRC sell these at such a massive discount to original RRP?
    They must still be making money by selling them at £349 surely?
    I understand that they have bought a shed load from Fox to get them at a reasonable cost but it kinda shows how much is being added.
    Whats your take?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Bought OE, massive overstocks, get rid cheap and turn into cash.

njee20
    Free Member

They buy in such obscene quantities they are able to squeeze margins all the way down the chain.

I remember when Avid first did the Juicy Carbon brakes, they were £175 each, there were quantity discounts (fairly healthy ones) for buying 2, 4 and 8 units in the Fisher trade book, you could mix F/R and rotor sizes. CRC bought… 200 of each size.

With that sort of purchasing power they’ll get far far better margins than ‘normal’.

So… sort of. Prepared to wager a fair few people will have taken a cut on their margins to get to that price, but I imagine everyone will still take something home. That’s not ‘normal’ though.

twoniner
    Free Member

The mark up on things is obscene. I was looking at getting some Crank Bro’s Candy 2’s and the guy at the bike shop was showing me what was available in the catalogue they had. They bought them in for £30 and then the RRP was £70 😯

messiah
    Free Member

Destined for Original Equipment or distributor in another county… not used due to supply problems or not sold… offered to the market to reduce stock at which point CRC buy them and flog them on to us… pisses of the official distributor channels no end.

bellerophon
    Free Member

The mark up on things is obscene.

These comments always make me smile.. firstly that £70 rrp will include VAT, so to compare that to the trade price either add VAT to trade price or subtract it from rrp (and I know that VAT on buying is offset against VAT in rrp).

Also when we sold t-shirts and skiing gear, we were always laughed at as we used to multiply trade by 1.7, our suppliers would suggest between 2.35 and 3. So as an example an Animal tee we would but in at approx £8-9 (inc vat) and sell at £25 (inc vat).

Best not look at multipliers on sandwiches….

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thats the way it needs to be shop rates/bills wages etc.Life.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I wonder of the Fox forks sold how many are actually sold at anywhere near list price?

sssimon
    Free Member

…………are you sure they are kashima?

bellerophon
    Free Member

Thats the way it needs to be shop rates/bills wages etc.Life.

Exactly

MartynS

Was it these ones..

Fox Floats on CRC

They’re not the kashmina coated stanchions..but that is a good price.

I reckon there cheap because there seems to be lots of tapered or 1.5in steerers
    CRC always seem to do good deals on these but not 1 1/8in forks

I’ve got Floats and they are brilliant

vinnyeh

Madisons have just announced that they were dropping the lines they carry from Easton-Bell, including Giro, due to the volume of grey products available.

Bit of an eye opener, though I’m not sure how whether it’s a stand or just an acceptance of reality- they haven’t dropped Shimano it seems.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I wonder of the Fox forks sold how many are actually sold at anywhere near list price?

You might be surprised. Speaking to a number of shops and it’s apparent that CRC’s ability to sell Fox forks is diminishing as Mojo apparently now won’t deal with them. So they’re constrained to getting OEM kit on a ‘WIGIG’ basis. I’ve noticed over the last few years that they have less availability of Fox forks.

The other thing is that there are quite a few ‘shops’ that have been dabbling in OEM as well lately. Those shops that have distributor relationships with bike brands have been quietly buying OE kit through their distributor channel and then selling in the shop, usually heavily discounted.

It’s a smart way to do business in one sense and pretty dumb in another.

alexcornwall
    Free Member

I bought a set and can confirm they are 150 mm tapered kashima float rlcs with 15mm thru axle 🙂

MartynS

I bought a set and can confirm they are 150 mm tapered kashima float rlcs with 15mm thru axle

for £349…. complete and utter bargain

alexcornwall
    Free Member

£338 with quidco 3% cashback 😉

njee20
    Free Member

They bought them in for £30 and then the RRP was £70

Even then, that’s not a normal margin for parts unless you’re buying bigger quantities. Then you add the VAT etc as said above.

Bike shop mark ups certainly aren’t obscene compared to many industries!

Mister-P
    Free Member

plecostomus
    Free Member

Going slightly off topic a pal of mine bought what he thought was a kashima coated rp2 off crc last week the display picture showed a kashima rp23 the product arrived and it was one of their evolution factory series shocks so not even kashima coated and was just a rp2 he complained to crc and they refunded him £60 he paid in the end £100 for the shock. Refund was given in crc vouchers.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Hang about, so they’re RLCS with a 15mm through axle.. not 9mm qr open bath like the description states? That’s a bit of a steal isn’t it.. they’re what; £8-900 rrp?

Are CRC being a little coy about the description hoping that the main distributors wont notice?

mildred

not used due to supply problems or not sold… offered to the market to reduce stock at which point CRC buy them and flog them on to us… pisses of the official distributor channels no end.

The thing is, its the official distributor channels that make the most money by keeping the price up. RRP is just laughable on most products because if anyone including official channels can reduce something by 50 odd percent in a sale, it means it was too expensive to start with.

I’m not against people making a living, but lets be honest the price of bike components have gone up by ridiculous amounts in the past 3 years. There would probably far less supply problems and stockpiles if the price was kept to a sensible level in the 1st place.

For some reason, bike products have gone from leisure items that anyone can access to premium lifestyle objects that provide a commentary on the kind of person you are. It all balls. The prices are artifically high – the sale price is probably closer to what the RRP should be.

alexcornwall
    Free Member

This was the ad!

These are the forks but there was a 150mm option until they sold out (in a few hours). They were part of a 10% reducer style sale. RRP of forks is ridiculous!

geetee1972
    Free Member

if anyone including official channels can reduce something by 50 odd percent in a sale, it means it was too expensive to start with.

Not really. At 50% off it could still be being sold at less than you bought them for so as to limit the size of the loss. You’re assuming everyone sells at a profit 100% of the time and that’s not the case.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I get a lot of Adidas kit at cost price, due to having a family member who is pretty damn high up the Adidas food chain. You should see what they buy their products for if you think bike parts have a huge mark up.

xiphon
    Free Member

£350 for some forks….. yup, bargain.

zelak999
    Free Member

Yep they are defo Kashima!
    I was watching the 10%s add up and ordered just after the price had been updated on the website.
    If the rrp is £800+ then the mark up is obscene.
    I wonder how much my lbs would buy a pair in at? 25% less than the rrp at a guess.
    Just imagine how much profit Fox/SRAM etc are making?
    But I guess the rrp must reflect the R&D costs and the ongoing product updates/branding etc.
    Still I’m chuffed to bits 😆
    Should of bought a few pairs and flogged ’em on Fleabay…………

zelak999
    Free Member

Part of the problem is that the marketing man ages every product so quickly in order to fool the gullible (myself included) into buying the latest iPad, Fox fork, 661 glove etc.
    These annual updates rarely see a massive progress from the previous version!
    What’s next, 2013 Shimano chain?
    That’s consumerism I guess.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just imagine how much profit Fox/SRAM etc are making?

I am willing to bet you it’s around 9% EBIT on sales

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Today I took delivery of some f100 rl’s – just what I needed for an old school style orange R8 – £269 from je James, 2010 model, but perfect for my function 🙂

I too am a happy fork purchaser 🙂

zelak999
    Free Member

@geetee1972
    You reckon it’s a low as 9% 😯
    Who is making all the money then?
    Too many links in the chain?

butcher

I’ve seen products on CRC that are a good bit cheaper than trade prices. How they do it, or why. I have no idea.

james
    Free Member

“I guess the rrp must reflect the R&D costs and the ongoing product updates/branding etc”
    On the face of it, it would appear fox RRPs are based on Rockshox/everyone elses and then add £100, being more expensive ‘must’ make them betterer (Fox Doss?)
    It would appear everyone else then has to up their RRP so they don’t look devalued compared to fox (KS Lev?)

Or that could be tosh

geetee1972
    Free Member

@geetee1972
    You reckon it’s a low as 9%
    Who is making all the money then?
    Too many links in the chain?

No I reckon it could be as high as 9%. They’d be doing well to make that given the nature of their business.

9% is a world average for all business of all types. It’s a reasonable yardstick to use. Some businesses make a lot less, like Tesco or Sainsburys which will make about 1% maybe 2% (although on a very large number and their stock turn is so fast they can generate cash four times over before they have to pay their creditors). Others will make a lot more, like consulting and B2B services which might make upwards of 20%.

If a bicycle component manufacturer was making the average, 9%, I think they could be very pleased with that. We may never know as they are private held although They have been rumoured to be floating soon so we should then start to get published accounts and then we can find out for sure.

In answer to your question its a combination of the value chain and the discounted price you sometimes pay not necessarily being one that yields a profit for the seller. £300 is what I would expect the distributor to be buying a fork at that retails for £800-900 so if you’ve bought one for £340, there’s barely any profit in it for anyone.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That is certainly will below even distributor cost price. They could be buying OE at that price.

I’ve seen products on CRC that are a good bit cheaper than trade prices. How they do it, or why. I have no idea.

They could like right now be running way too heavy on stock, hence blowing stuff out, quite often at less than cost, because on the stock line they have already turned a decent profit. It happens quite regularly.

Northwind

Here’s an example of Fox pricing btw… For the DOSS seatpost:

December 10, 2012 at 8:08 am

“Rarely do we have the opportunity to inform our customers of such good news regarding pricing. Many of our key markets have reported feedback that the cost of the product versus features is preventing consumers from choosing the DOSS over other market competitors. In an effort to overcome these objections, we have decided to reduce DOSS retail pricing to get the product out on the trails and being ridden.”. $100 pricedrop.

Or in other words- “we can sell this for $100 less than we do now, we just thought people would pay this much”

somafunk

Northwind : You get the mtbr email as well then?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Massive Volumes, OEM Stock (below normal trade Price), not s standard market product (IE downspecced OEM), very low sales overhead, no need to fit or deal with silly set up quetions, clearing stock covering cost + something etc.

It’s a different business model. Both sides need to come together a bit.

Also the number of people buying aftermarket taper or 1.5″ forks is still lower. There are never any decent bargains on 1 1/8th as they are still very popular.

Northwind

somafunk – Member

Northwind : You get the mtbr email as well then?

Aye, just read it and thought of this thread.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The $100 happened with the DOSS here in Oz. More the fact that it’s only got 3 positions and the lever is huge might be putting people off though.

Agree there is margin out there but using CRC sales as the base point is a bit wrong. Especially as no supplier is obliged to state if products are OEM etc. Having to use CRC for returns would put me off.

ndthornton
    Free Member

£338 with quidco 3% cashback

Great bargain – buy yourself a drink!

I just spent £250 on F120 Kashima upgrade and £300 on some second hand float 36s……and on the latter I thought I got a good deal! More fool me

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Fox Forx – Massive mark up or clearance sale?’ is closed to new replies.