Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • fox forks wiper seal service, i'm confused about oil volumes!
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

forks are F100RLC

going to take the lowers off my forks and clean the seals. I've read the mojo leaflet http://www.mojo.co.uk/media%20pix/ForkFlyerWeb.pdf and it says put 5ml oil (not float fluid) in the lower legs when reassembling.

The fox instructions though say put 5ml float fluid in the air chamber.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/oil_volumes.htm

And if you read the instructions on the fox site about reducing travel (i know i'm not doing this) it says after installing the air shaft back in the fork to turn the fork upside down and pour in 30ml suspension oil before doing up the nut on the bottom of the fork. If this is the final step in the assembly of the lower part (ie before the crush washer and lower nut tightening) then isnt this the same as when i'm putting the lowers back on after doing the wiper seals?

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/forks/32mm/frlc.htm
    (scroll down towards the bottom for the travel adjustment and reassembly bit)

wwaswas

with the mojo method you don't drain the oil (as you keep the forks upside down) or remove the air chamber so you're only topping up small amount of oil lost when you take the lowers off.

the fox instructions are for a full service and involve drainign all the oil and takign the air spring apart.

lakesrider
    Free Member

ahhh bollocks, i tipped my bike up the right way to drain the oil out 😳 was trying to avoid making a mess and thought it would be easier to catch the oil this way.

So do i put the full volume in the air side then? And will all the oil have drained out of the damper circuit as well or is this sealed in a different part of the fork?

wwaswas

problem is you can't tell how much oil came out the damping side…

if it were me I'd cycle the damper circuit quite a few times (it takes ages to push all the oil out) and then put the full amount of oil in that side too.

unless you've taken any of the top caps off you can ignore the float fluid in the air chamber thing.

for future ref if you keep the forks upside down you lose very little oil out of either side when you take the lowere off – just wrap a piece of cloth around the stanchions to catch any that does spill.

anc
    Free Member

Foxyriders instructions are good stick them in your favourites for next time.

As said just cycle the damper rod to get as much out as possible, then put in the fox volumes(its not that critcal if your slightly over)

lakesrider
    Free Member

thanks! I should be banned from doing jobs like this 😀

lakesrider
    Free Member

Have temporarily abandoned the job until i have more time tonight!

When i cycle the damper circuit do i do this with the lowers back on?

anc
    Free Member

No Lowers, cycle the damper rod whilst the bike is the right way up on a stand or something so any oil left in there is released and drops out.

luke.ellis
    Free Member

follow the video instructions on Mojo they are spot on

foxyrider
    Free Member

The video is good but its difficult to look at it while your hands are covered in grease 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Give me a call at the workshop if you would like to be talked through it.
    01443 838336

simon

lakesrider
    Free Member

its done! removed all the old oil from both sides, fitted new seals and assembled it without any problems. I think….. 😆

They feel nice and smooth and still bounce up and down with no nasty noises which is a good sign in my eyes.

The new seals werent very easy to press in place though, but they seem to be fully seated all the way round. Any tips for this for the next time?

One thing i did notice when i removed the old wiper seals was that the inside if the lowers was quite rough where the seal or foam ring had been touching it, sort of looked a bit like mild corrosion or something. Stanchions were ok, and the rest of the lowers looked fine apart from this one bit. (on both legs)

Thanks for everyones help 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘fox forks wiper seal service, i'm confused about oil volumes!’ is closed to new replies.