Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Fox forks = poo poo?
  • pinhead
    Free Member

They look good and that’s as far as it goes other than that total over priced but ok for trail centres I suppose

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m not over-enamoured by my Fox rear shock either. I paid extra for it as an ‘upgrade’ on my bike, but so far it’s on it’s second warranty visit. The juries still out, but I’ll not be tolerating a third warranty return. My Rockshox forks on the other hand, have been nothing but faultless. As for being overpriced, well at the end of the day they’re cans of air, there is not much to them in terms on new or high technology, so yes, they’re a rip off. But then again this is cycling. Everything’s a rip off.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

pinhead – Member
    They look good and that’s as far as it goes other than that total over priced but ok for trail centres I suppose

What makes them OK for trail centres? I’m baffled by that.
    Also, open a set up and you’ll see where your money went.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Double post

cloudnine
    Free Member

Op…the hot weather getting a bit much for you?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Which fork / issues have you had ?

growinglad
    Free Member

Must admit, I blew up a set on the 2nd day of use….second pair appear to be doing better…..I did find it strange considering I wasn’t really hammering them.

njee20
    Free Member

What makes them OK for trail centres? I’m baffled by that.

It’s an elitist dig, the OP’s too cool for trail centres which are too easy, he has to ride ‘proper’ trails, which need better forks 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He probably rides all day on boggy trails dodging dog eggs and walkers testing his forks to the Max with dials at 11 too.

Just got my new ones and love them, the last lot are on the HT 06 36’s going fine.

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

I don’t understand what you are saying here. Why would they be ok for trail centers if you deem them bad? Do you consider trail centers not to be a full work out of the forks?

There are so many threads dissing Fox forks. I think it’s two reasons:

1: Service intervals are quite short (officially)
    2: They are so common/popular that they are likely to have more issues reported

I have Fox forks and they need attention, but then I haven’t touched them in 2 years. I do worry that if I leave them I will get Stanchion wear so I need to look at them. However, in terms of actual feel and performance…fine. They work and feel plush to me. I’m not sure how much better “better” forks could feel for me and my riding.

travo
    Free Member

I’ve only ever owned one set of fox forks, 2011 180 rcs vans with that kashima coating, they worked ok for a few rides and the performance was ok but not mind blowing, then the creaking started, after 3 new CSU’s within 18 months I got shot of them, it also seems like the issues are still going on http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2011-fox-forks-creaking-cracking-noise-711911-post8082272.html

I’m now on a set of 2012 marzocchi 55’s the ti ones,
    whilst they perform way better than the fox’s, guess what? they’ve started creaking too, they’re going back for a warranty replacement CSU once they have stock.

I’m currently under the opinion that all modern high end forks are rubbish, if you ever strip them down and see just how little is in them your just left feeling a bit ripped off

stumpy01

Was a bit concerned about perceived reliability of the Fox 140 TALAS forks that my Stumpjumper came with.
    But, in reality they’ve been brilliant. Haven’t been serviced as often as ‘required’ but are still operating fine. They can sit unused for several weeks and work fine striaght away, they don’t leak oil, they are consistent, the air spring never needs topping up….

Whereas my 2008 Reba’s have been a real pain. They don’t seem to maintain air in the spring side very well, they require more frequent servicing or the damping goes to pot, the lockout sticks, they leak oil profusely in warm weather when the bike is turned upside down…

Only thing I don’t like about the Fox is that grit gets caught between the lockout dial & the rebound dial so if you use the lockout, you invariably twiddle the damping too, which is a pain.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d only ever ridden mine at trail centres, then I took them down a canal towpath and they vapourised. Would you believe it?

ransos
    Free Member

Mine are way, way better than the Pace forks I used to run. They were a bloody nightmare!

tinribz
    Free Member

They’re like the iPhone of the fork world.

legend
    Free Member

well at the end of the day they’re cans of air

Shock guru in the house!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Whereas my 2008 Reba’s have been a real pain. They don’t seem to maintain air in the spring side very well, they require more frequent servicing or the damping goes to pot, the lockout sticks, they leak oil profusely in warm weather when the bike is turned upside down…

Sounds like they need new air seals, especially as they are 5 years old.

The leaking from the top cap means can be fixed for 25 pounds if you take it out and send it TFTuned. Theres an “umbrella” seal in the motion control unit that needs replacing. Its reverse threaded if you want to take a look yourself. Some people have just put a rubber seal on the threshold adjuster, but that just stops the oil coming out the top rather than fixes the damper.

jairaj

I used to get on fine with the old RLC damper but I don’t like the new CTD. I haven’t tried the CTD adjust yet which might offer enough adjust-ability so I can adjust to my liking.

But its the cost of the forks that really puts me off. Far more expensive than the competition and for me anyway no benefit. If the forks came as part of a full bike the costs don’t seem to be too high so don’ think I’d mind too much but I don’t think I’ll be buying one after market any time soon.

kimbers

my 03 float rlcs have taken a battering, the stanchions are a bit worn and scratched, the enduro seals were a big improvement, I had to get LoCo to fix my rebound cartridge and the lockouts intermittent
    theyeve been all over the UK, megavalnche, spain etc etc

they are on my xc bike these days and while the arent as plush and controlled as my 44rc3tis they still work

however

RRP for the equivalent model is 3x what I paid for them ten years ago which imho is ridiculous

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m a hater when it comes to Fox forks.

They were the least resilient of anythin I’ve had.
    RS faired little better. Neither lasted more than 9 months from new before waring through the stanchion coating. They’d both had lowers off and oil changed at about 3 month intervals.

2010 Marzocchi ti coils have been excellent for me though. Oil changed annually and still on original seals/wipers. So much nicer to ride and far more resilient.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Only thing I don’t like about the Fox is that grit gets caught between the lockout dial & the rebound dial so if you use the lockout, you invariably twiddle the damping too, which is a pain.

This is the only thing I’ve found was a problem with my Fox fork
    ( I now have Rockshox though)

Northwind

Supposedly this year’s damper fixes the diving problem of last year, it had better tbh as they were terrible out of the box. But that won’t fix the high price, and the flex of the 32s, and the essential ropeyness of TALAS.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I really like mine – a pair of 2005 36RC2’s with the Talas removed and swapped to Vanilla internals. They get serviced once a year and are still in their original stanchions. They seem plush, adjustable, stiff and reasonably light for a 160mm coil fork.

My previous 32 Vanilla’s were great forks too. I’ve never had issues with stanchion wear band yes, I do ride my bikes). I’ve never quite gelled with Rock Shox forks for some reason. I’ve had a few pairs of Boxxers and not liked them and the first pair of Pikes I had were a pain in the bum.

I’ll get some 55 RC3’s when the 36’s die having been a Marzocchi fan boy for a long time. I wouldn’t buy any fork new they’re all over priced. Lyrik’s aren’t cheap the only difference is that they get discounted. Hopefully X Fusion will shake things up a bit with regards to costs.

andymc06
    Free Member

Just put some x-fusion slants on my Nomad. They seem very good out of the box and cost half what Fox are charging. Time will tell on durability, but x-fusion could be taking a big slice of the market at this rate.

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

What does CTD or RLC mean and stand for? I cannot find this on google.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The new price is eyewateringly large and hard to justify

Despite the ropeyness claim I like my TALAS
    granted you take a choice of performance for adjustability v the FLOAT

creamegg
    Free Member

CTD: climb, trail, descend
    RLC: Rebound, lockout, compression

I thinks

jairaj

CTD: climb, trail, descend
    RLC: Rebound, lockout, compression

I thinks

Yep got it right.

The RLC had adjustable low speed compression tune from fully open to lockout. So I could add a tiny bit of compression damping to stop the front end diving too much but still kept it supple enough over the small stuff.

The CTD has 3 pre-set positions, in descend mode its far too open and dives everywhere and in climb mode is far too stiff and doesn’t track well over smaller bumps.

pinhead
    Free Member

Trail centres are groomed man made tracks and designed to be rode zzzz
    Lakes,munros peaks non classic etc warrant a fork which is both reliable and up to the job
    Pal

walla24
    Free Member

wrecker
    Free Member

ok for trail centres I suppose

Yeah. Minaar, bryceland, peaty, the athertons, blenkinsop, etc etc loves them trail centres.

pinhead
    Free Member

Industry boys riding trail centres shock horror

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you’re trolling or just plain thick!

pinhead
    Free Member

Ey Pal c’mon now think about it

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Glad I just sold mine.

They were ok but as they were n my holiday bike probably only got used for 30 days or riding, 6 or 7 hours a day.

I couldn’t live with the servicing if they were n my UK bike!

That’s got Rockshox

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Pinhead please explain what you mean by ok for trail centres, what are they not ok for?

I have had a few sets. Find them ok for mot things. Think the FIT damper feels better on the small bump than the older open bath system.
    Have had to replace a CSU due to wear as there is little lube oil in the TALAS side leg.
    I would like to try so Marrzochi 55 TI but they are pretty costly too.

I guess im open minded to the strengths and weaknesses of fox forks. I just dont understand your original post…

Flaperon

Performance of the 2013 stuff is leagues ahead of previous generations. You can also run more oil in the spring side of the air forks without knackering them, which will help longevity.

I lube the seals with Float Fluid every ride anyway. My 2003 TALASs wore out three sets of stanchions in 7 years. The 2010 Floats had no wear after three years, and we’ll see how I get on with the Factory Floats on the Sight.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I must have serviced 20+ sets of Fox forks this year (I’ve done 3 this week). I’ve probably seen the inside of more forks in general than all but the Big Boys like Loco and TFTuned.
    I’ve only ever seen one set of worn Fox forks which are actually sitting in my garage as I type. They’re 8 years old. I’ve done the seals and a service and I reckon they’ll go into double digits as they are. Which is pretty good in my book

pussywillow
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    I must have serviced 20+ sets of Fox forks this year (I’ve done 3 this week). I’ve probably seen the inside of more forks in general than all but the Big Boys like Loco and TFTuned.
    I’ve only ever seen one set of worn Fox forks which are actually sitting in my garage as I type. They’re 8 years old. I’ve done the seals and a service and I reckon they’ll go into double digits as they are. Which is pretty good in my book

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

You must be clearly bull shitting there

Forks are by far the weakest and most vulnerable to damage/wear than any one other by far!

Marzochi are for real riders!

pussywillow
    Free Member

You must be clearly bull shitting there

Fox Forks are by far the weakest and most vulnerable to damage/wear than any one other by far!

Marzochi are for real riders!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Fox forks = poo poo?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM