Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fox fork noise, sounds weird….
  • bigjim

The better half has a new Canyon Nerve, which comes with Fox 32 Float Performance FIT forks. On compression and rebound they make a kind of mechanicaly crunchy noise, it reminds me of my old coil spring Judy’s when the spring compressed against the inside of the stanchions on compression. They feel smooth enough but I think I can feel the vibration I’m hearing through the bars.

I’ve never owned Fox forks, is this normal?

bren2709

Do they have a spring inside?
    If so could be it knocking which can be sorted with heat shrink.
    Also could try reloading the spring if it allows.

Only reason I suggest is I had the same on my Fox 40’s which the above sorted…

bigjim

Well they are air forks but I’m assuming there isn’t a coil spring for the negative spring, will check the manual if i can find it.

Noise occurs in the air spring leg for the first 35mm travel.

bigjim

office hour bumpage

anyone know if this could be a coil negative spring? The Fox service manual site is…interesting…chaotic…

jes
    Free Member

My Talas were making a weird noise at 140mm setting upon compression.
    Did some research and found out some of the forks were shipping with low oil levels.
    Stripped the lower legs and measured the oil, which was clean but was only about 10-15% of volume recommended.
    Rebuilt with correct oil type and levels, seems ok now.

JAG

Hmm I have some Fox FLOAT 140mm travel 32mm stanchion forks.

When I first rode them they made a squelching noise, my Father-in-Law said it sounded like a mechanical duck noise!

They weren’t new but they were freshly serviced – anyhow the noise went away after a few miles and has never come back 😆

raisinhat
    Free Member

If it’s making crunchy clunky noises, something is very wrong inside of them. If you feel comfortable with it stripping them and looking to see if anything has come loose inside and checking the oil levels is a good idea, but if you aren’t then canyon will probably cover them under warrenty. My 36s were clunking and it turned out to be a split o-ring and a loose talas cartridge. Riding on them is just going to make things worse, and the bill more expensive at the end of the day.

bigjim

Hmm maybe it will pass, but it sounds more mechanical than squelchy

bigjim

raisinhat, I’ve stripped RS forks for years but never done a Fox. Obviously I feel they should be fine from new and on those grounds I object to stripping them already, but sending the bike back to Canyon is an annoyance for the missus too. A drawback of internet sales!

Cheezpleez

Crunchy = bad. Send them back

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Is it this sort of noise?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLKuQyRSQNc[/video] (not my video)
    I have the same forks as you and they made that noise when new. They went to Mojo for a service and the rebound damper was replaced. No idea if it was related or not. They still make some noise but no where near as much.

Its hard for me to tell if its normal or not as its my first pair of Fox Forks as well.

raisinhat
    Free Member

I totally feel your pain, if it’s brand new then it ought to just work right out of the box. Shoot canyon an email, someone on here will know more about the process, but you should only have to send back the fork, and they ought to cover the shipping. It’s pretty irritating though.

bigjim

no it isn’t quite that noise, it is more kind of constant than on/offy.

the more i try it the more I think something is wrong, they aren’t as smooth as I would expect but I’m not used to Fox forks, plus because they are new they might need some breaking in. They feel like there isn’t any lubrication going on.

bigjim

I filmed it last night, its pretty exciting stuff….noise is def coming from air spring side.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQ33t3IoXA&feature=plcp[/video]

bigyinn
    Free Member

Does sound a bit like the neg spring. Need to get them bad boys pulled apart I think!

jes
    Free Member

Arrrrr that’s horrible.

Have you let the air out seem to compress very easily, but conversly seems to have a lot of stiction.

bigjim

yeah i dropped the pressure for that video, there is a lot of friction in teh start of the stroke though. I am disappoint.

LoCo
    Free Member

Send them back for a warranty inspection as they’re off a new bike.

bigjim

Canyon have been contacted. Must remember to ring you to order some 2013 Revs loco!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fox fork noise, sounds weird….’ is closed to new replies.