Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fox Float RLC 140mm – opinions please…
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thinking of a set of these with the 15mm QR (2009 model).

Anyone got ’em?

Thoughts?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Back
    Up
    My
    Precious

ton

i have some, but i told you that already.
    i would not buy them if i just wanted some forks.
    i would go for pikes or the new revs.
    but they came on the bike i got.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

New Revs would be my first choice too, but they are very pricey right now.

Floats look good on paper and are lighter, but it’d be good to know what others think before taking the plunge.

james
    Free Member

Magura thors (100-140mm, 20mm bolt-thru) are lighter than both of them

rj
    Free Member

I got the 2008s as standard on my Meta 5. They’re OK, fairly plush, but a bit flexy if pushed hard. Quite easy to service yourself if you’re that way inclined. I swapped them for Lyriks and although they’re nearly a kilo heavier I’m a lot happier with them.

mildred

RS Pike 454 dual air is a far better fork in my opinion:

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m5b13s30p2934&rs=gb

£200 cheaper than the Fox and performs better.

vinnyeh

From the price I’d guess these are oem forks- I’ve got a pair the same on my ti456, and haven’t been able to find any mention of any difference in oem and retail forks, better check out what the warranty story is though.

I’m a pretty agricultural fork user so can’t really speak with too much authority, but my opinion is that these forks rock in comparison to the 06 air Revelations and Pikes I’ve used over the last few years. The fox’s feel more supple, and the travel seems to be run through a bit more predictably – less of a feeling of riding into, rather than over, stuff- the damping is more controlled especially on irregular stuff, like when you’re picking your way down a rock garden or pinging off stuff on a downhill a bit faster than you know you really should be- I guess what I should really say is, they do give me more confidence.
    Against the revelations the 15qr is far stiffer- I wanted to try this out, and it was the main reason for buying the forks, I had visible flex on the revelations- having said that the Pikes were (in my memory at least- havent ridden them for over a year) stiffer again, and maybe felt a bit more planted – maybe they put more of your weight over the front? – but they were on a different bike, so it’s not a like comparison.

Don’t really think you can go wrong with the Fox’s though, at that price- if they were full retail or with a 15% discount it might be different, but for 390 ir whatever they are the stiffness and fork action aren’t going to be beaten unless you buy something secondhand.

gizzardman
    Free Member

@ rj… Are the Fox’s still flexy witht the 15mm QR??

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just bought some of the rlc ones that will be replacing my talas on the turner so hope they are alright lol

gizzardman
    Free Member

Me too, they’re replacing some 09 Revs that have packed up after 4 hours riding! Hoping the QR15mm will be stiffer than the std Revs.

coatesy
    Free Member

Using QR15 Vanillas myself, superb fork and definitely stiffer than my old Talas32(which themselves were infinitely stiffer than the Pace EVO3 they replaced). Maintainence is easy, and probably worth the (small) effort involved, routine servicing saw 4 1/2yrs use out of my old ones, bought used,before signs of wear on the stanchions(I replaced them, Mojo suggested i’d get another year’s use).

bomberman
    Free Member

they’re bloody expensive though arent they? £589 for the float 32 rlc

timraven

I’ve just converted my floats to QR15, made a heap of difference, truly astonishing.

Not quite as stiff as the Pikes on my old bike but not as heavy either.

RRD
    Free Member

Timraven

Converted your floats to 15mm?

How and how much?

Cheers

gizzardman
    Free Member

I beleive you can send them off to Mojo and get the QR15mm lowers fitted. Costs around £150 i think??

vinnyeh

bomberman – Member
    they’re bloody expensive though arent they? £589 for the float 32 rlc

betd are selling a few pairs ofr about £390.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers guys – lots of good info there.

I’m just waiting on the verdict on my 06 Revs. If, as I suspect, they are beyond the pale, I’ll take the plunge on the BETD ones.

Assuming they are OEM, what will the warranty be like?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float RLC 140mm – opinions please…’ is closed to new replies.