Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fox Float 32 RLC 150 not getting full Travel?
  • mysterymove
    Free Member

Hi as the title says can anyone help? i’m not getting full travel out of my forks? maybe 120mm max on big hits but generally 100mm

If I let all the air out I get full travel, if I run a lower pressure I struggle to get them to return properly (already pretty much running them on minimum reccomended air pressure as im a 10 stone weakling).

Anyone got any suggestions? dont really want to send them out for a service if i can avoid it. just wondering if i’ve buggered up my settings anywhere or put too much oil in on the last lower leg service?

Cheers

toronte
    Free Member

Had same experience with my 140 RLC’s on my Zesty. There is a solution which goes like cutting a shaft giving the fork a more linear stroke. Too much oil in the air chamber can also cause this problem, however I would call this a general thing with those older Fox forks.

Now after a couple of years of riding, with much more experience I’m glad I didn’t do the shaft cutting hack back then. On my Lyrik I prefer it not to use full travel. When all of that travel sinks in those legs you just get real awkward head angles. Once I had a good couple of psi’s less in the fork and I hit the brakes late before a bump. First brake dive, then hitting the bump with much less travel available was real scary at that speed. I prefer it sitting high in it’s travel. It is important to maintain the bike’s geometry.

I’d say just leave it as it is.

With the speed increasing you’ll notice you need much more damping. At local trails my Lyrik R is perfect. When taking it to the bike park speed is so much higher I have to pump it up real hard to avoid it collapsing on bigger hits. This results in some unwanted harshness on those braking bumps before berms. This is when you consider the DH damping unit or a coil fork with separate high and low speed compression settings.

mmannerr

Most likely cause is the leaking air piston seal which allows oil from lower legs to escape on top of air piston and air pressure to lower legs. One way to fix it is to replace the seal and foam ring on air piston with two new seals,. The cost is some work and few pounds for new seals.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Sent mine to mojo after blowing them up, felt better, but still never got full travel. Sold them bought pikes different planet Of quality

bigyinn
    Free Member

mmannerr, almost, but not quite.
    There was an issue with some forks (2010ish?) which had a wiper seal and a foam ring on the seal head, this allowed oil to migrate into the air chamber, thus reducing the air volume in there. The fix as you say is to remove the foam ring.
    It is not air going into the lowers and pressurising them, as the air will just come out of the lowers via the wiper seals.

If you’re getting full travel with no air in there then theres no physical issue, its just the air in the fork can only be compressed so much, so you rarely get full travel because of this.

deanfbm
    Free Member

My 2 questions are –

What year are they?

As above, if they are a couple years old, they might have the seal arrangement that allows oil migration from the lowers into the air chamber.

Simple fix, let all air out, remove air spring top cap and pour out whatever oil you have in there.

It’s 150mm of travel, what riding are you doing? Too much travel for what you’re actually doing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float 32 RLC 150 not getting full Travel?’ is closed to new replies.