Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox dust wiper seal service – problems
  • mildred

Just done service on my float RL’s no problem, but as I’m putting them back together the damper rod at the bottom of the of the right leg is just turning, so I can’t tighten the bottom nut on. Any ideas how I can sort this?

This pair don’t have the slotted end to hold whilst tightening.

IA

Are you trying to reuse the crush washers rather than using new ones? (the black plastic ones under the footnuts)

spock
    Free Member

Use a belt to compress the fork, usually does the trick

mildred

yes, re-using crush washer, though I don’t see how this can effect the whole damper rod.

By using a belt do you mean it will force the bottom of the damper rod up against the bottom of the inner leg, enough to nip it up?

coatesy
    Free Member

The crush washer, especially if used, can cause friction between the nut and shaft, and make it rotate. Try nipping it up without it to seat the shaft in the base of the leg first.Next trick is to let the air out and compress the fork(same effect as the belt previously mentioned, just with less effort)before trying to tighten it.

mildred

Well that was odd – I shoved the legs down firmly, eased the crush washer on the whole length of thread showing, gently wound nut on until it started to turn the rod, went for a pee, came back and turned it some more and have managed to get it tightened up. I think these forks are haunted.

spock
    Free Member

I mean between the crown and the fork brace, to compress the fork.

mildred

Yeah, I got that, but was wondering what the purpose was – Coatesy, I think, explained it

to seat the shaft in the base of the leg

Anyway, thanks chaps, all done now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox dust wiper seal service – problems’ is closed to new replies.