Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox CDT and difference between modes
  • golfgtdude
    Free Member

Hello all,

Been a long time since I last posted on here… prob because I’ve been problem free 🙂

Anyhow, I’ve just got my hands on a new last years model Giant Anthem X1 – not even ridden it yet. Was curious about anyone’s experiences on the operation of the rear CDT shocks. Switching between modes and pumping the suspension I can’t honestly tell any difference. I spoke to the bike shop I got it from and they just said ride it as you can’t tell from pumping it.

Being not entirely sure with that response I thought i’d post it out to the wider community and see what people thinks.

I did demo an X2 a few weeks ago and I didn’t do any of these tests before hand but noticed while riding there was a difference.

Comments appreciated.

vincienup
    Free Member

Brace yourself for a storm of CTD mockery.

Personally, I fitted a cheap SH Float CTD to my old Zesty and really liked it. It did pretty much what it said on the tin, full open on D, everyday on T and tighter and more blowoff on C. Taking it around the Basque with Doug guys or down The Beast or Jacobs Ladder in the Peaks, or even just playing in the woods the settings had a sensible effect on the frame’s behaviour relative to their names.

If it’s really new, maybe stiction?

hambl90
    Free Member

Don’t rate the ctd shocks at all that’s why I changed mine to a monarch.

jimw
    Free Member

I think to a certain extend it depends on which CTD shock you have, The Evo ones are less sophisticated than the Factory series IIRC.

As I see it the advantages of them are really for those who don’t want to spend too long working out all of the multifarious adjustments found on a CCDB for example ( other shocks are available)
    It is quite easy to get the set up of such shocks quite wrong, whereas the CTD do work pretty much as expected (as long as you are not expecting a full lockout on C- I have heard some moan about this ) if not as well as a properly set up alternative.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

They will feel different from bike to bike depending what tune initially set with at factory.

On my SC the I never use the climb, its pretty much full on hardtail with zero suspension. Stays in Trail mode for most riding, and all climbing, great plushness with no pedal bob. Descend mode for any off road descents or any flat uneven trails, soaks it all up beautifully.

handyandy
    Free Member

mine doesnt feel any different on the 3 different settings, but i’ve just built the bike and not had time to feel ‘at home’ yet, so maybe time will tell

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You need to give the bike a proper ride out and see how it feels, I’ve got CTD on my Camber and it seems to work as per the settings, although I only really use C for stints along or up flat roads, T is my default for offroad/singletrack and D for anything more extreme.

modig
    Free Member

I’d have to agree with your LBS. At least on my bike there is little to no difference pushing down on the saddle but it’s quite pronounced when actually riding. On a smooth road there is noticeably less pedal bob switching from D to T. But the functionality is totally wasted on me as I prefer active suspension over maximum pedal efficiency and always run mine i D mode 🙂

/Johan

vincienup
    Free Member

Re tune, mine was from another Zesty so already spec for the frame.

Agree also, C only really got used if I was knackered as T was more of a do it all that had noticeably better traction as the back wheel was more active and D only ever got used it it was very steep and rough descending. That’s pretty much what it said on the tin to me though 🙂

Unless something is wrong or you’re way over or under the design weight it should be a decent enough shock. I had lots of fun with mine and it was better than the plain and tired Float R it replaced. I’d probably not set out to buy another but wouldn’t reject a bike with one.

poey50
    Free Member

I put an Evol sleeve on mine which transformed the small bump compliance and gave it more support in the mid-stroke. I now just use trail most of the time and climb occasionally.

lennyhenry
    Free Member

I have a Float X CTD and there is a blatant, night and day difference between the climb mode and the other 2 even when not on the bike (just pumping suspension).

The difference between T and D is just about noticeable when pumping the suspension but is clearly noticeable when riding

As others have said, take it for a ride and if the modes work in that situation you’ll be golden

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got an original Factory,
    Works perfectly well for me.
    It’s on a SC Blur LTc which climbs well enough when in D mode (I mostly know as it took me a while to finally realise the C&T had left the building the first time)
    Think of it as firm medium and soft, if your bike suspension is doing a good job it might be compensating already for that and giving you a good platform.

I spoke to the bike shop I got it from and they just said ride it as you can’t tell from pumping it.

I’m guessing a shop that sells those bikes and deal with the same question a lot might know what they are talking about

not even ridden it yet.

Before listening to a lot of stuff in here and deciding you must upgrade your shock go and give it a good test ride, take a shock pump and have a play.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Get an iphone

Download Fox app

Get codes from shock and fork and input as required on the app.

Set up as per app instructions

save settings

start again do the whole process

save settings

ride bike

adjust up or down as required to suit.

made loads of difference to mine.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

[/quote]poey50 – Member
    I put an Evol sleeve on mine which transformed the small bump compliance and gave it more support in the mid-stroke.

The guy I bought my trance from did the same. I wouldn’t know any difference as I didn’t ride it before the upgrade but yes, mostly on the middle setting. Don’t like fully locked as I’m not sure if there’s a blow off valve and don’t want to knacker the shock. D mode, filly open and very plush. Running at around 30 percent sag, for me that’s about 200psi

chestrockwell

I have a CTD Evo on my 5 29 and the difference between each setting is very noticeable when in use.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

The CTD on my Canyon Spectral is very subtle, wish it was a proper lockout on climb mode, in contrast the Fox 32 CTD has 3 distinct settings.

golfgtdude
    Free Member

cheers for the reply.

Will be giving it a go this weekend anyhow, see how it goes. Fingers crossed it’ll be right.

I tried to get that FOX app but i can’t find it in the apple store – what is it actually called?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I looked at the app, it basically tells you the pressure from the manual for your weight I think, bit of a waste of time. Set based on Sag in D mode adjust to suit.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Its called FOX IRD but i can’t seem to find it on the app search.

I do have it and it does work though!

http://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=app

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Surely fox have a website page that does the same thing as the app?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox CDT and difference between modes’ is closed to new replies.