• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • fox 831 for trail/all mountain use?
  • danlate
    Free Member

right so ive decided, i will get a yeti asr 5, now the spec'ing starts. i need a taper steerer tube, and being a yeti, its got to be a fox. so i saw the new 831 on mojo site and its a bit lighter than the float 32 and seems to be a bit cheaper as well. and an all black bike will look wicked.

what i want to know is, how would the firmer high speed compression and modified low speed compression be for trail riding. im not going to go big like in jumps or drops. just trail center use and local berkshire trails.

titusrider
    Free Member

stop being vain, the damping is specifically tuned for jumping = poo for trail riding. Basically firm high speeed compression will give you damping spikes at high speed

danlate
    Free Member

ok fine, float 32 it will be then.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The 831 is a Dirt jump / 4x fork. If your not going to be jumping don't buy a dirt jump fork. The damping will be basically set so they don't dive when you pump lips and then only move enough so you dont break your wrists when you case.

If your riding xc then buy an xc fork.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It tends to be trail forks that spike on jumps not the other way arround.

But yea, it will have a very firm low speed to eliminate any bobing and help pumping and a pretty progressive high speed damper to stop it botoming out.

You need 5" of travel in Berkshire? I've been here a year and thinking of ditching the 5" hardtail for a 80mm race bike! I've not seen a rock or significant root since I left the Peaks!

danlate
    Free Member

well im off the 831 idea, the float will be perfect.

thisisnotaspoon: its probably an overkill for berkshire, but i want a do it all bike, something that will handle trail centers (afan etc) and all round trail riding. the anthem x is great but its too long for me, and medium frame will be too short again. its time giant do medium /large mtb frames.

GW
    Free Member

who says a fork set up for jumping is poo for trail riding, it depends how you ride.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘fox 831 for trail/all mountain use?’ is closed to new replies.