Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fox 36 Talas – steerer too short :-(
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

After all the measuring and double-checking I cut the steerer to discover that I never accounted for a headset. The steerer is some 15mm too short, the headset is FSA Orbit XL. I've run out of ideas and swearing isn't helping either. Anybody knows a solution (the fork is old but she likes it so no new fork option I'm afraid).

druidh
    Free Member

Buy a smaller frame?

Hairychested
    Free Member

She has a frame that fits perfectly. It happens to be good for me too.

steveh

if you're very lucky you'll find someone about to cut theirs really short who'll swap with you for a small fee. failing that its new crown, steerer and stanchions time. someone was selling a set for 32's on here recently cheap

Hairychested
    Free Member

It's a 36 so 32 isn't any good. Is it boiling water and a lump hammer time?

TheSwede
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any spacers under the stem you could live without?

The steerer isnt replacable so it would be new crown and stanchions too, which probably means a trip to mojo or TF as well on top of the bits.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I have a similar problem with some Marz z1's on my Bullit and here's the results

The stack height of the FSA is 27mm and a crank bros headset is 21mm so that's only 9mm left to find.

What is the stack height of the stem?

Most seem about 40mm but DMR do one about 32mm and Spank do one about 30mm. Both are short stems tho.

If you are a few mm short you could always use a Headlock for extra security

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ken – zocchis can have the steerer replaced – windwave do it for around £40

Op – you can get extenders but they are a bit of a bodge.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have no spacers, it'd be easy.
    I'm looking at the integrated headset from Cane Creek, cheap as chips at CRC right now, but will it fit?
    Ken, the stem in question is a brand new Thomson 70mm black one, the steerer reaches to the top of the bottom section of the clamp. No funds for a new decent stem and, even worse, I "tidied" the steerer so the stem was perfect (she isn't keen on spacers). Me = numpty.

ken_shields
    Free Member

TJ even the press fit ones?

The annoying thing is I cut the steerer to fit that bloddy Curtis 😈

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What is the length of the steerer now you've cut it? If it's not ridiculously short the uppers may be of use to somebody and you can use the funds to pay for a new set. It's not unusual for DJ'ers to use Talas 36s and many of those kinds of frames will run shorter headtubes.

mamadirt
    Free Member

If it's not too short then one of these should do the trick.

Used one on a Spooky Bandwagon for a little while as my steerer was about 15mm too short. Not visible in use and you can cut it down if you only need a little extension. Fits inside the steerer tube, with the extra extension protruding, then you use the supplied spacers as shims and you can use your current stem and headset set up.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I have an 70mm X lite stem (not OSand 35mm stack height) and some matching 2" riser bars you can borrow till funds allow the purchase of the bits required

This is the headset you need

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24985

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ken – yes

I have had it done to a dj1 and a Z1 – both press fit steerers

Its one reason why zocchis are good for tandems – you can get reinforced steel steerers fitted. They do alloy ones as well. Only zocchi tho

Hairychested
    Free Member

mamadirt, thanks, I'll get one from the shop tomorrow and see what the outcome is.
    Ken, thanks for your offer but mamadirt's suggestion might be a better one.

mamadirt
    Free Member

No worries. I was happy to use mine for a while as the lower part of the stem was clamped around the original steerer and the upper bolt around the extender which I cut down, so pretty solid. I wouldn't have been so happy if I'd had to use more of the extender although I guess it'd been no different to ye olde quill stems 😉

beefy

Have to agree with mamdirt, used a stem extender for ages, works like an old skool quill stem, trick is tightening your headset, you can use a ringo star thingy instead.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 Talas – steerer too short :-(’ is closed to new replies.