Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fox 36 Talas – Compression tuning advice
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Just replaced the oil and seals on my 160 Fit talas forks.
    I used the fox recommended amount of oil in both sides.
    I have now found that I have to add too much low speed compression using the dial and I’m wondering if I need to add more oil or less oil to the damper side to give me a slightly firmer feel?
    If I add more air it’s just too stiff. Currently roughly 48 psi?
    Anyone know for sure?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I thought the FIT damper cartridge was a sealed unit that could only be opened by a Fox technician? Is this what you serviced or are you referring to the oil that sits in the bottom of the legs, which is just for lubrication?

zelak999
    Free Member

@Geetee1972
    The oil in the leg on the damper side.
    I thought I’d read somewhere that you can put in more or less oil in the leg to adjust compression?

khani
    Free Member

You can add oil to make the air spring ramp up a bit, low speed compression is pretty much the opposite to that though and works on the start of the stroke not the end of the stroke
    If you’ve fitted the new SKF low friction seals it sounds like they’re a bit plusher at the beginning of the stroke so adding low speed compression is what you want to do if you want a firmer feel, not adding oil to the insides which will stop you getting full travel and make them ramp up at the end of the stroke

sailor74
    Free Member

48 psi sounds very low as far as air pressure is concerned unless you weigh less than around 10 stone.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

48psi sounds very low, think I’m running 75 in my 36 talas although I am 13stone. You can add float fluid in the air chamber to adjust the ramp up characteristics, changing the amount of lube oil in the lower legs wont affect the compression adjustment. See here for how to do it; http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/36mm_TALAS_III_SpgServ.htm

This should be part of your oil change procedure anyhow.

banks
    Free Member

70pdd psi very high, what kind of sag are you getting.

I’m running 40mm sag on me 160 talas so its roughly 45 psi <13stone

zelak999
    Free Member

48psi gives me about 40mm sag I’m about 12.5 stone.

banks
    Free Member

48psi gives me about 40mm sag I’m about 12.5 stone.

Usually what I’d be running bit xmas excess has made some changes. What hsc/lsc you running out of interest? I’ve got my lsc on full – seems to combat the forks diving

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve been running lsc at about 5 clicks from off, I guess I will try it on 8 and work back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 Talas – Compression tuning advice’ is closed to new replies.