Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox 36 problem
  • peter1979
    Free Member

My fox 36 rc2 forks have developed a problem where they will not fully extended to 170mm. At the moment I have them set to 100 psi and they are at 145mm stanchion extension. Any lower psi and they sit lower still.

Spoke to a mechanic who said it’s a common problem with the negative something or ever and if you pull the forks out they will hopefully correct themselves. Tried this and it worked for 5 mins now it’s the same again.
    I’ve probably not ridden 50 hours on them and they haven’t yet had a service but the mechanic said a basic service wouldn’t solve the issue anyway.

They are only 10 months old but unfortunately on a canyon bike, who are a pain in the balls to deal with.

So, should I be looking at a warranty claim via canyon, or other suggestions welcome.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’d contact silver fish as they are the uk fox service people and see what they say. You may be able to send them directly to them.

honourablegeorge

I had that with mine. Was grease blocking the transfer port (mine are 2016… 2018 have a different spring that uses a dimpled stanchion)

I can’t speak for the newer ones but just removing the top of the air spring might resolve it for the older ones. … pull it out, wipe the grease on the long thin shaft and reinstall.

peter1979
    Free Member

Just messaged silverfish and see what they say.

I have read that it is a fairly common problem, crazy when you consider the cost of the forks.

I’m reluctant to take them apart in case it causes me problems with any warranty claim, so I’ll wait for a reply from canyon or silverfish first I guess.

speedstar

Have you tried the old letting the air out completely then inserting a cable tie past the seal into the positive chamber trick? Not even sure it will work on those forks but if there is air trapped in the bottom of the positive air chamber it will prevent them fully extending.

lyrikal
    Free Member

Most likely grease blocking the port as has been mentioned. I had that with mine. Very easy fix. The shaft in the air spring side has a small recess that allows the air to equalise at full travel. If it gets filled with grease then the flow of air is reduced enough to cause this reduction in travel.

It’s a simple engineering solution that I like now that I know I can sort that minor issue myself. Of course if you are still in warranty send it away to them. They will sort this for you.

honourablegeorge

I wouldnt wotry about warranty….it’s the same process as you use when fitting volume spacers. Worth a go before you go to hassle of shipping the forks.

jimmyoto
    Free Member

My 2017s did thIs. If there is too much bath oil in the lower legs at full compression it has no where to go so gets forced into the negative chamber. Easy to fix by dropping the lowers and removing the air spring. Check the seals aren’t knacked though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 problem’ is closed to new replies.