Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Found an official dirt jump track in my local woods!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Went to do a trail I hadn’t done for ages, took a wrong turn, and found a large area of woods I hadn’t been in before. In said woods was a huge FC endorsed jump track, the biggest I have ever seen. Fantastic!

Not that I can do jumps much, but I might head over there with the big bike and have a go 🙂

Just outside Caerphilly.

muttley109
    Free Member

van rd trails?

Have you heard anything about the new trails being built up near the mountain ranch/black cock? All i’ve seen is a map with the proposed trails but apparently sunset mtb have something to do with it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Not that I can do jumps much, but I might head over there with the big bike and have a go

It was nice knowing you :mrgreen:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Jeez Molly, I live about 400 miles from you and know about Van road jumps! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes it was off Van Rd.

Not heard anything about trails at Mountain Ranch. I only knew about these cos I literally rode into them so my ear is hardly to the ground 🙂

Someone from Sunset comes on here so you could post a new thread maybe. There is quite a big area of scrub up there without much in it, so would be ripe for trails to link up from Castell Coch area.

🙂 @nobeer

colp

If you don’t do jumps much you need to ride Caerphilly.

SaxonRider

I think I was there with mooman and taxi25 once, but I won’t be going with you if you want to try them, mol, because:

1) I suck, and

2) I have a titanium collarbone to protect.

Kamakazie

I’ve heard about the development at Mountain View Ranch but only because they won’t be holding a CX round there this year.

Any map available to share? Couldn’t spot anything on their website.

Looking at the map there is a fair bit of land to the North of the site which I think was the other 9 hole golf course in the past.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suck too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I suck too.

We are not in Kansas 😐

milky1980
    Free Member

Remember that ‘Cardiff Social’ ride we did a few weeks ago? As we were going along through The Warren I did mention dropping down to the Van Road jumps and you didn’t know what I was on about.

Just be wary that they can bite if you get too confident.

jkomo

There’s some near me as well, they look terrifying. Most of the big jumps seem to go to vert- they look like quarter pipes.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did mention dropping down to the Van Road jumps and you didn’t know what I was on about.

I didn’t know you meant JUMPS… but I doubt I’d do much with them, some of them were quite steep.

Sandwich

2) I have a titanium collarbone to protect.

Molgrips wants one too!

nickc

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MABJ_n0G3o[/video]

looks like a lot of fun 😀

muttley109
    Free Member

This is the map I’ve seen. It was posted on a facebook group.

molgrips
    Free Member

If they put in kid friendly trails that’ll be fantastic. We could really use something like that in our family. We’ve been going to Garwnant or even Afan for trails my kids can ride.

Kamakazie

Thanks muttley.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

but I might head over there with the big bike and have a go

Oooh, you’ll be popular with the locals who maintain them when you case the landings on your full bouncer.

richwales

There’s a smallish (3-4ft) set of table/doubles in the middle of the van road trails. 3 then a berm and another 3 all rollable / pumpable – perfect for building up confidence before looking at the big jumps and saying “Nah”.

samcheese
    Free Member

I find it absolutely extraordinary that a Cardiff-based MTBer would be unaware of Van Road.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s cos I hardly ever ride with anyone, so it had to wait til I discovered them by accident. Word of mouth does not exist for me 🙂

However it is poor that I had not explored that particular corner of the woods. I’ve been doing a lot more MTBing and exploring lately.

sideshow
    Free Member

I believe the jumps behind Talybont Hall on the Taff Trail have become semi official now as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is the map I’ve seen. It was posted on a facebook group.

Checking out the area on the Strava heatmap and it looks like the trails exist now.  Seeing some traffic, presumably from those developing it.

docgeoffyjones

https://www.facebook.com/vanRdTrails/?hc_ref=ARTT4HgVeRD54UF4tkAleCAMrBy-6eLh3XPYfWUN_zJDu41YUoqrppHzPnSa8WvJcbw

They have been there for a long long time. They did get knocked down for a bit.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Found an official dirt jump track in my local woods!’ is closed to new replies.