Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Found a picture of first car, Renault 4
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Just uncovered a pic, well I liked it at the time (a long time ago), cost £90 to buy and £100 to insure, had 6v electrics and a starting handle too… I bought a R4 van after this, got quite good at using rust killer, chicken wire & body filler to keep them stuck together. Suspect there are none left on the road now.

porter_jamie

I’d love a r4. My mum had one

bearnecessities

Astra GTE 8v. Bought for £600; insured for £1200. Exploded in a fireball at the bottom of Haldon Hill.

Great days.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There’s plenty of Renault 4s in Portugal. There was a Mini Moke style one parked outside our apartment block. It looked like a very homemade conversion.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One of the best cars ever made the R4.
    Although mine did blow it’s engine into 400 exaggerated pieces…on the road between Ironbridge and Much Wenlock whilst full of windsurfing gear..

sheeps

I’ll never forget my mum parking ours in the drive, followed by a major clunk. Turns out the engine had fallen out!

Northwind

Too cool… Mine was a dadmobile Focus diesel 😳 You win this round, and all future rounds.

mike399
    Free Member

Im guessing it may not be too accurate but according to ‘how many left.co.uk’ there are 261 Renault 4 variants registered in the UK.

More than I would have thought to be fair…

Mine was a mighty 1.2 nova trying to look like a SR… awesome. Still my favourite car, despite running on three cylinders at the faintest sign of rain!

singletrackmind

I can fondly remember a hot and steamy fumble in a yellow R4 in the 80’s.
    This girl used to give me a lift home from the pub, and the last bus was 10.40. If it was busy the Landlord used to ask me to work longer and would arrange a lift for me.

Klunk
    Free Member

mk1 1275 mini cooper S

0-30 in nothing flat, would spin the wheels up in 3rd, the massive understeer through roundabouts in the wet was very scary you may as well not bother steering :). Lakes to Northamptonshire with a blown back box was effing loud. First and Coolest car I’ve ever owned.

PePPeR

I’ve got a 1963 4l I’m rebuilding at the moment, I sold my 1984 GTL to buy it.

Love Renault 4’s

There’s a great forum for them too.

milky1980
    Free Member

Another one here who had a Mini 😀

A 1984 Mini City though, 998cc and a huuge steering wheel. Really regret selling it although according to the Govt MOT website it’s back on the road! Blew the engine up after 3 months so I parked it meaning to do something to it, sadly I got distracted with girls and my Nova (the shame..) so it sat for a long time being a glorified storage chest. Hopefully it’s being lovingly cared for and used as it should be. If I ever see it I’ll try and buy it back!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

First car was a mini – £750 I recall and I proudly earn’t the money writing some software in 1980. Photo will have tonwait a while as it’s in a photo album I got for my 50’th

Had a friend who’s mum had a R4 – brilliant fun with the dashboard push/pull gear lever 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

Always worth checking https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk to see, well, how many are left! 🙂

Moses

They are more common than 2CVs in france.
    Mrs M had one in the early 70s, until the brakes failed and she ran into the back of an ambulance. Write-off.

badlyoverdrawnboy
    Free Member

Saw a Renault 4 on a trailer on m11 saturday, car towing had renault reborn sticker seem to do up renault 4

garage-dweller

My first car was a beige Triumph Acclaim.

A lovely little 1335cc twin carb engine surrounded by a lot of rust.

It was in a modern car sense quite crap but it got me and others all over the country with bikes and boats attached.

The Renault 4 bears a certain resemblance to the modern French ‘van people carrier’s in its lines.

Pigface
    Free Member

I had a Renault 4 F6 Van which was a brilliant vehicle, had so much fun in that.

First car was a Mini pick up.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Mini Traveller. Christ it was slow but cheap. Could be started with a penny the barrel was so worn.
    Still remember the exhaust was about the diameter of a biro.

DezB
    Free Member

My dad was given a Renault 4 by a friend. It was a bit of a mess and a horrible blue colour, so Dad got the Hammerite, black out and painted the whole thing. God it looked manky!
    I was between cars, so was given this Renault. I hated it. It was awful to drive with the column gear change and massive steering wheel and was like driving a boat – when you went round corners the thing rocked and rolled and made you feel sick. I remember taking some mates out for a laugh and going round a mini -roundabout a few times to give them the full experience! Soon told the ol’ man I didn’t want the car and got a Austin 1300 instead. Which was so boring I don’t remember a single thing about it.
    (Little blue Hillman Imp was my first motor though – crashed it checking out a girl)

Cougar

Suspect there are none left on the road now.

When I went to France this summer I saw shitloads. It’s a bit of a mecca for spotting cars from my childhood (especially French ones for obvious reasons). Peugeot 205s and 309s, Citroens of AX / BX / ZM vintage and the older bubbly-shaped ones, there’s loads still going.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I had a Renault 6, 850cc, with the gear stick in the middle of the dashboard – it appears there are actually still 3 left on the roads!!

ollybus
    Free Member

Dad had an R4. We used to like lifting the rubber mats in the back to watch the road going past underneath through the rust holes!
    I believe the engine and gearbox are back to front, hence the umbrella gearstick?

br
    Free Member

My Dad worked for Renault so we had loads of them, use to go to the coast with Mum and us two kids plus next doors Mum and their four kids – rear seat out and a blanket on the floor 🙂

I then learnt in an 1100 R4, once passed had a new 5 GTL.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I believe the engine and gearbox are back to front, hence the umbrella gearstick?

Indeed, there was a rod went right across the engine to the gear box at the front of the car.

user-removed
    Free Member

My mum had a series of R4s with huge “Nuclear Power? No Thanks!” stickers. The last one was left to rot in the small lane next to our house so me and my 12 year old mate used to joy drive it into the countryside. Got a few odd looks from garage owners but never reported…

finishthat
    Free Member

Had a 4 saloon and 2 vans blue mk1 and white mkII both with the full roof racks.
    Incredibly practical vehicles had a 6 too .

Mate had an identical blue 4 van – at a rainy festival we backed them together and threw a tarp over the roofs to make a dry space with windows.

Vader
    Free Member

we had a 4 when I was about 5 then followed by a 6. You see loads of 4’s and 4 vans in france and italy, most in ok condition. Never seen a 6 though. I seem to remember it had a foot pump to wash the windscreen, and of course the gearstick comedy!

tenfoot

Up until 18 months ago, when I changed my commute, I regularly saw a R4 van trundling down the M20, complete with yellow tinted front lights.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

My dad had two R4s, one bought new in. 1970 and the second new in ’72. In those days R4 drivers would wave as they passed each other. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Y’a gotta love em’

Cougar

I seem to remember it had a foot pump to wash the windscreen

My 1977 Fiesta had that, bulb on the floor next to the pedals. You could control the distance of the jets depending how hard you booted it, kinda useful really. I’d totally forgotten about it till just now, thanks for that.

I’ve half a memory that the old – Beetles or 2CVs, not sure – used pressure from the spare tyre to power the windscreen washer. I wondered how quickly that rendered the spare unusable…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Found a picture of first car, Renault 4’ is closed to new replies.