Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Forum ride – Isle of Wight Sat 24th July
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Its that time of year again.
    Following on from last years sucess (apart from the pub lunch FAIL) there will be another one this year.
    The plan is reasonably fluid. The intention is to get the train from Ryde to Shanklin and then a nice 25 mile loop taking in some of the wonderful countryside and climbs in the area.
    Once again there will be a contingent from the Brighton MBC joining us, but the more the merrier.
    Aiming to meet up at Ryde pier around 09:30 for a 10:00 start.
    Anyone interested in joining should be reasonably fit and capable of having a laugh.
    Either reply on here or drop me a mail (address in profile)
    Look forward to seeing you there!
    Paul

bigyinn
    Free Member

NOBODY??

Anna-B
    Free Member

I'm a possible – I do fancy a bike ride on the IoW. I have something else pencilled in for the 24th though, so will have to see what happens with that. There is a 2 for 1 with ferries at the mo, don't know how long that's on for?

woodsman
    Free Member

Well I'm coming – should be able to bring some mates! 😉

Mr CB500, if you're reading this, how about joining us this time?

Pete

I ride with a group of IOW locals most Saturdays but we normally start at 1pm. Maybe we could meet at your pub stop.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thought you lived in Dorset Dave?

Pete, i KNOW you're coming!
    CB500 = Adrian? I'll give him a bell this week.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Paul, your fellow GMBC emigre Steven here. Might be interested in that but it depends – have that week off, am supposed to be going on holiday but have not booked up yet, so it might be a case of Haimulldaemie. Are the dates set in stone? What about the weekend before, the 17th-18th?

Dave, where do you and your mates ride from? I'm in Cowes and have had to go a bit roadie recently for want of any mountain biking buddies.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Id given up on you steven! Good to see youre still about. Im still in ryde if you fancy meeting up for a blast.
    Paul

Thought you lived in Dorset Dave?

Used to live on the IOW until I was made redundant. Moved to Dorset but still come over to ride regularly.

Did 47 miles on Saturday over St Catherines and Ventnor Downs on the hottest day of the year. Tough but brilliant riding. We do loads of cheeky stuff, coastal FP mainly.

Next ride is at Carisbrooke Priory layby (NOT the castle) Sat 12th at 1pm. Doubt if I'll be there but there's usually at least 4 turn up. 20 to 30 miles normally, but always a cake stop.

mmb
    Free Member

Sounds good to me. only been to the island once and it would be good to get some local knowledge, most likely bring some mates too.

sharki
    Free Member

I maybe in the area by then, if someone can lend me a bike to break/ride..

Hang on! what date is it today? i've still 215 miles of coast to walk, inc stops for work and play..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Be cool to meet you, having seen the infamous "wheres sharki" thread. Keep up the walking. You've got about 5 weeks to get here!

woodsman
    Free Member

Yep, Adrian that's the fella!

sharki – if it looks like you may get there in time, put up a seperate 'borrow a bike from Ryde thread' as our group are all training/riding from Sussex. Hopefully you should get a result 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

5 weeks?

average of 10 miles a day
    5 weeks less rest day, play days = 25 days = 250miles..

That's pretty tight, i'll have to see how i progress and what crazy opportunities come my way en-route.

Once i've got to Poole, the next stage will be sofa hoping across the country, breaking bikes and riding with as many of you friends present and future i can..

So prepare your worst bikes for a ride to doom.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Could well be up for this… I make frequent trips to the IOW with my missus as her sister and mum live in Ryde. Just got to plan one of those visits to coincide.

I did Walk The Wight a few weeks back and was struck by how many trails there were along the way that looked like prime MTB candidates.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh yes there are loadsof trails, most pretty quiet if they happen to be cheeky (ahem!) so be it!

bigyinn
    Free Member

A wee bump……

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Could you post some pictures to tempt us?

woodsman
    Free Member

Buzz – for you

http://picasaweb.google.com/BrightonmtbClub/IsleOfWhiteSept09#

thanks for showing us around the Q's with Sharki last year!

Pete

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'm going to run another STW Mendip ride on the 15th of August. I'll put up a post soon. Would be great if you came.

Nice sunny pics. Those steps look interesting:

woodsman
    Free Member

It was a great day, with a few pints of the local ale at the end whilst contemplating which crossing to go for! I'm pretty sure the 15th is our local Big Dog event.

bigyinn
    Free Member

buss, thats coming off ropund the back of Stenbury IIRC, used to be much better when there wasnt a gate at the bottom!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shocking typing, sorry!

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

daveatextremistsdotcouk, I just tried to email you but it bounced – could you drop me a mail from a working address please?

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Ooh thats me in that pic 😉

I'm hoping to be there with Woodsman.

Would be great to meet up with you again Sharki. I am sure we can find a spare bike for you!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Be good to meet up again. Looks like i'll be off the bike for a couple of weeks, following a textbook over the bars this eve.
    Bike ok, knee landed on a nice chicken wire covered boardwalk and is now clean and weeping nicely. Grrr. First time i've done serious damage to myself for YEARS!

daveatextremistsdotcouk, I just tried to email you but it bounced – could you drop me a mail from a working address please?

Done

daveatextremistsdotcouk = spamatextremistsdotcouk is the problem 🙁

StefMcDef – did you turn up for the ride today?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bugger, possible fracture of the elbow. Find out for sure tues morning!

mike61
    Free Member

Yinn

Hopefully the elbow is just sore and not fractured.

Dreaming of a repeat of last years post ride fish'n'chips and beer(s).

Cheers

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Dave@ – No, I was up at a music festival in Scotland over the weekend.

Is there another ride next Saturday?

bigyinn
    Free Member

RockNess per chance Stephen? Long way to go for a music festival!

Oh and yes it is a probable radial head fracture of the elbos. Off the bike for a min of 3 weeks, posibly up to 6 weeks. So not sure about the ride, hopefully…..
    Mmmm fish and chips and beeeeer.

Is there another ride next Saturday?

Yes, Carisbrooke Priory again, 1pm again.

You'll be expected 😆

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Aye Paul – Rockness. Half the bands were playing at the IOW Festival in my backyard on the same weekend. Although it was really Leftfield that I travelled all that way to see, and they weren't at the IOW festival.

Dave, is that the layby opposite the castle, across the big field from it?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cool, midges galore was it?
    Will need to catch at some point, haven't been out with you for a couple of years!
    Im hoping my arm is healed sufficiently for this ride, or im gonna be well annoyed.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I don't know what they do to the site, some fields right near the loch, but the midges were conspicuous by their absence. Been the same every other year I've been to Rockness. Not complaining though. 😀

So might see you on Sat if you get your arm out of traction?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I was meaning the 24th July ride, not two days time! Doc has already said off the bike for 3 weeks.
    Still have no strength on my arm to lift stuff etc. No riding for me yet! :cries:

bigyinn
    Free Member

Less than 3 weeks to go now. Should get the ok to ride on wed, well i bloody hope so. Been going stir crazy. Still it forced me to bleed my brakes, with good results i think.

woodsman
    Free Member

Hi Paul,

How's it going – any good news from the doc?

Pete

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Hi Paul, I definitely can't make this on the 24th – going to Austria! The Tyrol! Mountain biking! (and other touristy stuff) For a week! 😀

I met up with Dave's mates and they are a good bunch to go riding with – if your arm is healed up they're riding from the car park in Brightstone Forest from 1pm on Saturday.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hi Pete doc gave me ok on wed so im up for it, yay! Went out last night and the trails were bone dry and i was absolutely loving it! We found a new bit of singletrack which still has the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. It wasn't too long but REALLY fast and twisty. BLOODY awesome!
    Trouble is its kinda nowhere in terms of a route, but was gooood!
    Looking forward to meeting up, two weeks tomorrow!!

Stephen, sorry to hear you cant make it, will need to meet up soon. Enjoy Austria!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Forum ride – Isle of Wight Sat 24th July’ is closed to new replies.