Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Forth bridge cyclists collide
  • rusty-bike
    Free Member

Forth bridge cyclists collide

Published Date: 08 April 2009
    TWO cyclists collided on the Forth Road Bridge leaving one with serious head injuries.

A 57-year-old man from Auchtermuchty in Fife and a 15-year-old Edinburgh boy, cycling in opposite directions, were involved in a head-on collision on the southbound footway of the bridge at 6.15pm yesterday.

A consultant and nurse were dispatched from the ERI in an ambulance service emergency four-wheel drive vehicle yesterday evening to treat the man at the scene. He was taken to Queen Margaret Hospital in Dunfermline for further treatment, and his condition was described as “stable”.

The younger cyclist was not injured in the collision

From the Edinburgh Evening News

bigyinn
    Free Member

“on your left, NO your left, NO YOUR LE.., crunch!”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jeepers. its 20 ft wide. How did they manage that?

It always makes me laugh the signs on it saying “cyclists obey speed limits” but its really hard to find any signs telling you what the speed limit is

mustard
    Free Member

I wandered why there was a police car driving towards me on the cycle path on my way home last night! Followed by an ambulance (going slowly towards edinburgh, so presumably without any passengers)which didn’t seem to want to leave room on either side for me to ride past anf finally a FETA van. I think there was more traffic on the path than the road.

rickmeister

TJ, must be 50mph, thats what it says on the bridge I think!

konabunny
    Free Member

ooh, nasty.

zaskar
    Free Member

Were they both blind?

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

yep, 50 for cars, so that’s 50 for bikes too……..Forth Road Bridge, most boring downhill (half uphill) course on the NPS calendar

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

anf finally a FETA van

glad to see the value of emergency Greek cheese is not ignored in Scotland!

GW
    Free Member

aslongasithaswheels – think you’ll find that’s Ae 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I had a head-on collision with another cyclist on the FRB a couple of years back. There was a family cycling towards me – line abreast. They parted to leave a gap for me to go through, but a 5-year old decided to close the gap just as I reached it and we tangled. Neither of us was hurt, but it’s not too difficult to imagine such a scenario.

marty
    Free Member

i passed by just before the ambulance got to them (police and FETA staff giving first aid so didn’t stop). hope the guy is OK.

Jeepers. its 20 ft wide. How did they manage that?
    currently some equipment fenced off which narrows the available width of the cycling side significantly. was bound to be an accident at some point, obstructions are not fenced/lit as they would be on a road.

It always makes me laugh the signs on it saying “cyclists obey speed limits” but its really hard to find any signs telling you what the speed limit is
    not really. 15mph.

p.s. southbound footway reference is misleading. the collision was on the eastern cycleway which carries north and south bike/foot traffic. western cycleway has been closed for ages.

marty
    Free Member

going slowly towards edinburgh, so presumably without any passengers
    accident was N of the northern tower. ambulance would have to have reversed off to get back on road. going slowly due to head injury?

mustard
    Free Member

I don’t think so, don’t think it went North afterwards either, although I could be wrong.

Maybe it was taking the kid to Edin

marty
    Free Member

ambulance approached crash from north, but had come across bridge from edinburgh and would have been heading back to edinburgh presumably.

edit: not that it really matters…

IdleJon

I had a head-on collision with another cyclist on the FRB a couple of years back. There was a family cycling towards me – line abreast. They parted to leave a gap for me to go through, but a 5-year old decided to close the gap just as I reached it and we tangled. Neither of us was hurt, but it’s not too difficult to imagine such a scenario.

I had to laugh at the fact that you would class my very wobbly 5 year old as a cyclist!

GrahamS

In other Edinburgh bike news, did you see this:

Keen cyclist targeted in £11k raid on prized rides

A KEEN cyclist has been targeted by thieves who broke into a shed and stole four of his custom-made bikes worth more than £11,000.
    Sean Clark, of Stead’s Place in Leith, was shocked to discover the culprits had ripped metal railings from the shed wall to haul away the bikes, which were held together in pairs by steel locks.

One of the bikes, a Van Nicholas Yukon worth £2400, was later found cut into pieces in nearby Pilrig Park. The wheels had not been attached and the thieves sawed through the frame to make off with the other attached bike.
    The thieves also stole a Rocky Mountain Slayer worth £3000, a Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra worth £1200 and a Litespeed Sewanee worth £4500. The thefts took place between last Wednesday and Sunday.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/latestnews/Keen-cyclist-targeted-in-11k.5101424.jp

redthunder
    Free Member

I bet the kid was a chav/scrote of some kind. I encounter them on the Severn Bridge always riding at you and swerving at the last second. However, only if they are in numbers they do it.

Emaciated cowardly little shites.

redthunder
    Free Member

I bet the kid was a chav/scrote of some kind. I encounter them on the Severn Bridge always riding at you and swerving at the last second. However, only if they are in numbers they do it.

plop_pants
    Free Member

pokes head round door

(should have been wearing a helmet)

runs away……………

marty
    Free Member

here’s where the collision happened. cycle lane on the left, pedestrian lane on the right. what you can just about make out is that the cycleway changes direction slightly when it comes off the suspension section, so with obstruction N/S bound cyclists can’t see each other if riding in middle of lane.

just for TJ:

there’s 5 of them…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I bet the kid was a chav/scrote of some kind.

what a very apt distillation of prejudice 🙁

redthunder
    Free Member

what a very apt distillation of prejudice [:-(]

Aye.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Forth bridge cyclists collide’ is closed to new replies.