Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fort William worth traveling to just for the red route?
  • Johnbot
    Free Member

I’ve been wanting to go to Fort William all year, between work, kids, mates working and so on we havn’t made it so far. We have the opportunity tomorrow but there is an SDA race on. The red route is still open but the DH is closed. Is it worth traveling from Glasgow just for the red route? Would probably take in some of the race too.

davy-g
    Free Member

yes, do it…. you will kick yourself if ya don’t go….be warned though, the Nevis Red is more an extreme black, and has caught out a few bikers, Last year my Mate was one of them… O.T.B and landed on his shoulder which he badly separated, ha had months of work and his beloved bike… and he was wearing Armour…..

also watch out for the midges…..LMAO…

gdub923
    Free Member

Yeah def do it. Its well worth it. I travel down regularly from Inverness when I can! I would agree thats its more a black route than a red!
    If its first time I would recommend a sighting run to learn the lines. As they have red dots to follow for best route and some need speed to stop you landing front heavy. I was there in May when the british down hill was on and managed 3runs. If you have a good level of fitness you should manage at least 3 runs.
    Good luck with it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

from Glasgow? – it’s practically next door.

sounds like a great day out.

ride bikes/watch bikes/ride bikes/watch bikes/etc.

and even an idiot non-local like me found loads more to ride than you’ll find on the map…

t-p26
    Free Member

Theres loads of cheeky stuff(Well,whatever its called in Scotland) in the woods off the xc trails… hunt those out too 😉

supertacky
    Free Member

Its a no brainer.

YES

Spend time watching the DH. Ride all the waymarked trails, the ride all the unmarked trails and if your still alive drive round to laggan 40 mins away and ride there too.

On way home stop at Kinlochleven and ride yourself silly.

Some of the best riding in the country !

Johnbot
    Free Member

Sorted cheers everyone 🙂

Northwind

The uplift’ll be disrupted for the race, mind, and they give priority to race traffic. Not sure how much of an effect that really has though.

But yeah, from glasgow? No bother, well worth it, it’s ace. And worth a wee blat around the witch’s trails too (try and wedge in Nessie to your lap, just means a little extra fire road bashing)

And yep, the red route is the blackest UK red you’ll find. It’d be a pretty black black in fact.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Make it an overnighter to save fuel and try the Glencoe lift assisted red for comparison, plus all the goodness of Kinlochleven and the wealth of hidden local trails throughout the whole area: then go home after a week, wishing you’d managed to fit it all in.

gdub923
    Free Member

When I went in May with the British downhill on we had no problem getting the uplift. There was two times when we were actually bumped up the queue as the DH was stopped due to crashes. So never queued that much. Laggan is good. But if doing after Fort Bill I would get the trailer uplift. Knocks off half the up which is boring fire road. Do the Black there. Def my favourite trail where I am challenging my skill level. Few sections will catch you out at speed. Been there. Done that. Bought the body armour to proove it!

grantway
    Free Member

Hope this helps

Just make sure your not on 02 if you get it wrong

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GShyWn5RYoo[/video]

Bagstard
    Free Member

I will be there for a couple of days in august to ride both tracks! Looks fantastic in that vid!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fort William worth traveling to just for the red route?’ is closed to new replies.