Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Fort William to Kinlochleven loop.
  • islander

Thinking off heading from Fort William to Kinlochleven by WHW and Luibeilt and back to Fort William. What is best way to do it, clockwise or anti? Also can anyone give a rough estimate of time and toughness of route at all?
    Any info appreciated, Alan.

druidh
    Free Member

If you are going via Leanachan forest, then have a google for the Tour de Ben Nevis – that’s the route.

If you are thinking of Glen Nevis, then be aware that it is VERY soft and muddy in its upper reaches (east of the gorge) and that the gorge itself is a carry.

islander

Was looking at Glen Nevis but sounds as may be a slog and a half. Not got time for Tour route I don’t think. May have to look at other options. Cheers.

CraigW
    Free Member

You could get the train to Corrour, then head back from there.
    Though the section between Loch Treig and Luibeilt can be rather boggy.

bengbong
    Free Member

Done the tour de ben nevis last year, 6 hours 50 mins big day oot and the section after burn crossing was tough carry, but was a great day out. would definately do it again.

dewydd
    Free Member

Have done the full circuit a couple of times anticlockwise and planning to do it again later this year – although I’ve always stayed to the track above KLL to Mamore lodge. Find anticlockwise is better with a good descent to Spean Bridge and always find it easier to go the opposite direction to the majority of the walkers on WHW.

You could get the train to Corrour, then head back from there.
    Though the section between Loch Treig and Luibeilt can be rather boggy.

Having done the KLL – Luibelt – Loch Treig – Blackwater circuit only yesterday, i can certainly vouch for the boggy comment. Not my idea of fun.

E_G

The TDBN route starts off from Fort William by going up the road to Blarmachfoldach, not up Glen Nevis – I’ve not travelled via the Glen or compared distances between the two but I expect going via Blarmachfoldach is slightly shorter and faster as more of that route is on road.
    Let me know if you would like my gpx file for TDBN. A check of the results indicates most competitors finished in the 6-7 hour range, so it is a full day out.

There is a long stretch of carry from Luibelt north towards the bothy – the descent to the bothy was fantastic but tough on a hardtail.

If you don’t have the 6-7hours plus (factoring in stops, photo ops etc) then as suggested head east from Luibelt towards Loch Treig and on to Corrour to pick up a train back to the start. Or go to KLL via Blarmachfoldach and return via the WHW.

Slightly OT: Dewydd – did you drop anything on that journey the other day?

turbo1397
    Free Member

Hey E_G.. doing the TDBN yhis year, would it be possible to forward me the gpx file as i would like to do a ride of it before september..?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Tell you what I’d do cos I’ve done them both. Start at Glen Nevis & go clockwise, then you get the pushing/carrying out of the way 1st. When you get to Luibeilt It’s rideable all the way back to Glen Nevis (apart from the odd deer fence)

dewydd
    Free Member

E_G – somehow managed to lose the peak off my helmet when it was strapped to my rucksack. Had a bit of a comical A over T slip while walking not long after Staoineag bothy, but that’s all I can think of. Why, what’s been found?

E_G

Dewydd – OK, I picked up the visor from your helmet and will email you about returning it. Aside from the 2 ticks which I picked up, I also came across a pair of trousers which I also carried out and thought they may have been yours too.

EG

dewydd
    Free Member

E_G – if you could email me at david(dot)stewart248@btinternet(dot)com about the visor that would be much appreciated. The trousers are not mine although I may have to invest in a pair to help with the ticks – I removed three of the little buggers!!

Freester

I did it from Glencoe village once, Anti clockwise.

Road to Kinlochleven. Up the road to Mamore lodge where we joined the tour route. It’s a carry from Luibelt to the top of the hill. A few short stretches are ridable. I don’t know it personally but all advice I got was avoid Glen Nevis.

The road stretch for us added about 18 miles to the route. We left at 8am and got back 6pm.

E_G

@turbo1397 – I’ve put the route on Garmin Connect – TDBN. I’ll be there again this year, hoping not to puncture on the descent towards the Leanachan forest.

@dewydd – email sent

islander

Cheers for the info guys. Think going for an out and back on the WHW from Ft William now.

honeybadgerx

Can you ride across the top of Blackwater Dam? Currently planning my hols up there at the moment and scheming som train assisted epics but can’t tell from OS map/Google earth! Ta.

dewydd
    Free Member

Can you ride across the top of Blackwater Dam?

If you’re happy to climb the locked gates at each end and ignore the “No Unauthorised Access” signs then yes you can. 😀

honeybadgerx

Cool, all part of the fun! I was just looking for a shortcut to get form the north side of the reservoir to the south to be able to ride down into Glencoe via the devil’s staircase.

trekstar
    Free Member
    tbag
    Free Member

Descending beck towards Fort william on the WHW keep your eyes peeled, you can skip the fire road all the way down, quite the alpine descent at parts 🙂

dewydd
    Free Member

Big thank you to E_G for picking up and returning my visor from the back of beyond. What’s the chances? 😀

totalshell

dont forget that starting this friday and lasting till the following saturday its the classic and ssdt motorcycle trials that will mean heavy traffic in the FW and kinlochleven areas most days ( except sunday) and especially off road and the whw with over 270 competitors and thousands of spectators.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

dont forget that starting this friday and lasting till the following saturday its the classic and ssdt motorcycle trials that will mean heavy traffic in the FW and kinlochleven areas most days ( except sunday) and especially off road and the whw with over 270 competitors and thousands of spectators

Including me. 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Fort William to Kinlochleven loop.’ is closed to new replies.