Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fort William for world cup
  • pendlechris
    Free Member

We are travelling up from thee North west, was wondering if anyone could recommend any other cheapish way of getting there other than car, problem we have the 5 who are going all have company cars, so we could not split driving, has anyone done it in the past on train or coach?

druidh
    Free Member

Hire a car?

pendlechris
    Free Member

Had thought of this, but would prefere train, chill out have a few beers etc, has anyone been on train, I know sometimes you can get cheap train fares once you get in certain counties and you can travel anywhere within a certain area, tried phoning trainline, but they have no times or prices out yet

roundwheels
    Free Member

you could maybe cycle up just a crazy idea

will
    Free Member

Just ha a look for you:

Train from Sheffield to Fort William.
    2 changes
    9 hour 44 minute journey.
    traveling in May (as far in advance as i could get it)
    Return £107.50… Each…

I’d hire a car 🙄

pendlechris
    Free Member

Yes are you joining us!! 😀 will give you 3 hours start 😉

cbike
    Free Member

Its well worth doing the Top Railway Journey in the World.

Might be cheaper getting a load of singles. £23 glasgow to fort william £11 somehting if you book ahead 1812 is the last train to fort bill from glasgow queen street.

Check the first scotrail website for info not in my head.

TheSanityAssassin

Why do you need to split the driving? I’ve done the journey from Huddersfield to Fort Bill in 5.45hrs before (including a 15 min break at that Shell garage just over the Foreskin Bridge in Dumbarton) by setting off at 2.30am. It’s a lovely drive up and I always feel like I’m nearly there once I’m through Glasgow because it only takes a couple of hours or so through fantastic scenery from there. Just take the biggest car and get your foot down. Once you’re there you can dump the car for the weekend anyway, then you’ll all get to chill.

thomthumb
    Free Member

split the driving. mtfu. i’m coming from southampton. 🙂

HeatherBash
    Free Member

5 in one car sounds like the cheapest option to me and most folk in Scotland would think nothing of that journey with one driver. Why can’t 5 of you poor company car owners share one car?

If you really want to travel /arrive in style hop on the sleeper at Preston:

London ? Scotland by sleeper
    Mondays-Thursdays Fridays Sundays
    Boarding at Euston starts: 20:30
    23:00 20:30
    22:30 19:30
    23:00

London Euston depart: 21:16
    23:45 21:16
    23:00 20:00
    23:30

Watford Junction depart: 21:33
    00:04 21:33
    00:04
    |
    |

Crewe depart: 23:45
    | 23:49
    |
    |
    |

Preston depart: 00:44
    | 00:46
    |
    |
    |

Arrive next morning:
    |
    | | | | |
    Edinburgh |
    07:16* | 06:40* | 07:16*
    Glasgow |
    07:17*
    | 06:30* | 07:17*
    Stirling 04:57
    – 04:57 – 04:57 –
    Gleneagles 05:21
    – 05:21 – 05:21 –
    Perth 05:44
    – 05:44
    – 05:44

Dundee 06:08
    – 06:08
    – 06:08

Aberdeen 07:37
    – 07:37
    – 07:37

Aviemore 07:40
    – 07:40 – 07:40 –
    Inverness 08:30
    – 08:30 – 08:30 –
    Fort William 09:54
    – 09:54 – 09:54 –

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Could you take two cars and like I do have a site audit/visit on the way up!!

Gang of 3 of us go every year from Sheffield and the drive up is part of the weekend, great drive once past Glasgow and added bonus you can then take the bikes!!

We camped at Glen Nevis last year and doing the same this year but with the bikes so we can ride some of the trails seeing as the programme isn’t so full without the XC

Cheers

kona_uk
    Free Member

Every year we have looked at the train option, but it works out expensive and a right pain in the ar$e, so we always end up going in the car….

footstomper
    Free Member

I Go up a lot in a transit van from lancs to fort william then onto inverness, no problem at all. Once you get past the lakes the traffic is virtual non existent until you start to get near Glasgow then fantastic scenery after.
    Hire a people carrier, between 5 of you it won’t cost so much each and lots of leg room. 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

just drive in one car, it’s easily doable by one person.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fort William for world cup’ is closed to new replies.