Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fort William – CIC Hut descent?
  • thedobbster
    Free Member

I am travelling up to Fort William on Friday for the tour of ben nevis on Saturday which I can’t wait for! Fancy doing a ride on Fri afternoon to tweak settings and get back on it, has anyone any experience with the track heading back down to town from the CIC hut? I would probably hike a bike up to the lake on the ben tourist track and then to the hut… just because I don’t like out and back rides, but have no idea what this is like. I don’t mind a bit of hardwork, just so long as there are no killer drops when carrying a bike!
    other options in Glencoe welcome, did devils staircase the other week which is a potential.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ciaran path?

mugsys_m8

Not been up there for about 5 or 6 years. But above the woods was a good engineered path with LOTS of BIG waterbars cutting across. Below in the woods (i.e. below what was the climbing guides only top car park) used to be a disaster zone of bog and steep slippery eroded narrow path. However I believe they have now put in a new path.

thedobbster
    Free Member

Did that the other week with Devils and it was awesome! Probably wouldn’t have time to do it this time though, and by myself I wouldn’t feel to confident on some of the sketchy lines with no one to scoop me up!

stevomcd
    Free Member

CIC hut descent would be pretty straightforward (techy in places though) other than the huge water-bars mentioned above. I’d do it as an out-and-back though, carrying a bike up the tourist path would be grim (lots of steps).

Sanny
    Free Member

Out and back for the win. I did it as part of a ride to the summit of the Ben last year. The bit between the hut and the Lochan doesn’t flow. A bit too stop starty to be honest. I love my tech and will happily hike a bike but it doesn’t really work in either directional I had hoped it would. Still worth doing though for the big hills experience. Aside from the waterbars, the CIC descent is really rather nice.

In Glencoe, I would consider going up Lairig Eilidh and return via Laraig Gartain. There is hike a bike from Glen Etive but as I route, I think it works! Well worth a mooch!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Done it a few times back in the late 90’s on my Kona stinky 5 and a mate on his stab. Got heaps of pics (prints!) kicking about. Might be scanning soon so I may return..

martinxyz
    Free Member

Steve, We dragged the Kona’s to the summit a few times and yes, it’s dire! Dragging the lava dome with mag 20’s was easier going.

thedobbster
    Free Member

Sanny… That Glencoe ride looks good, is it flowy singletrack descents? Looking at the OS map looks around 11-12km of offroad, so i am thinking around 2 hours for the whole loop?

However if i have time CIC hut it is!

Sanny
    Free Member

Think 3 to 4 hours. The climb up is pretty technical. It starts with a short push then has a few on and off sections. It gets easier the further up the Glen you go. The descent to Glen Etive is tech loveliness but there are several opportunities to spanner yourself on it.

After that, there is a push and carry up to Lairig Gartain saddle then a flowy (albeit with some waterbars) descent back to the start. I’ve ridden it all except for the push up Laraig Gartain which is a clear, well defined path which I’ve only looked down on from above. It may well be that sections of it are rideable on the way up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fort William – CIC Hut descent?’ is closed to new replies.