Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Formula The Ones. Over kill on a hardtail?
  • elliott-20
    Free Member

So I was looking to upgrade my brakes to some Hope X2 when suddenly I found a good deal on some Formula The Ones. I generally ride hard and fast but the question is, are they too much power for a Chameleon and should I go with the Hopes?

strangertothelight
    Free Member

IMO you can never have too good a set of brakes. It’s better to have more than is necessary than find out the hard way that you are pushing the limits of your components. And who cares if they are overkill? If you like them, you like the price and they look sexy on your bike, go for it!!

slowrider
    Free Member

I ran saints on my sovereign, good brakes are ace. The formulas aren’t that heavy, go for it!

beargotsoul

Can we know where this deal is please?

dreednya

Definitely not, they will let you ride faster as you will need to brake at the last moment or only when you need to. I found that I now ride with either no brakes or full on rather than dragging them as I used to with K24s. If you try dragging the OnesMy10 on descents you find that you stop!

ridingscared
    Free Member

buy them- Hopes are like italian cars, if you get the set they made on Friday afternoon they will be nowhere near as good as the formulas.And if you don’t get on with them I’ll swap them for my v2s.

trickydisco
    Free Member

They are coming up at 210 euros directly from the forumla site (2009 the one’s)

with postage and VAT works out at 226 euros. That’s for front and back

Seems pretty good?

heihei

I run The Ones on my Evil Sov and don’t find them overkill. Stronger brakes mean you can run smaller discs which are lighter and offer more modulation.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Seems pretty good?

Aye, they be the kitties.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

those green ones are NICE! But 400EUR!! Just because they are green!

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve ordered some for my hardtail. I’ve also budgeted for a bleed and to shorten the hoses, because the hoses are enormous and they’ve probably been sat in an Italian warehouse since 2009.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

link please, cant find them ;(

got it sorry

depends how fast your going!

But honestly no the weight diff is negligible and you cant ever have too good a pair of brakes!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

are these the dogs balls then??

like one of the best you can get for bikes?

i got a set of code 5’s on my dh bike and love them but i might invest for the future build of my new bike.

GW
    Free Member

lets be honest, disc brakes are overkill for most riders whatever the bike.

flyingmonkeycorps

Oh aye, ‘cos let’s be honest being able to stop when it’s wet is a completely useless concept

wors

Why would a type of brake be overkill on a hardtail?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    Oh aye, ‘cos let’s be honest being able to stop when it’s wet is a completely useless concept

kinda got a point 😉

psychle
    Free Member

link please, cant find them 🙁

Here you go guv… Link to Formula Store

GW
    Free Member

so neither of you think you’d be able to stop in the wet with V brakes (or canti’s for that matter)?
    FFS 🙄

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

haha, when you can come down leogang with v’s or cantis in the wet under control id give you my dh bike! or buy you a life time of rubber blocks! lol

flyingmonkeycorps

so neither of you think you’d be able to stop in the wet with V brakes (or canti’s for that matter)?
    FFS

Frankly no. Not anywhere NEAR as well as with a set of disc brakes. I rather like being able to gently squeeze the levers with one finger instead of having to death grip them to the bars in the hope that mud and grit from the interminable puddles and sludge may have left me enough brake block to actually grip to the rims.

Doubtless it would be possible for me to ride down hills on a rigid bike with solid steel wheels using my wooden clogs to drag along the ground as a method of slowing down, but I’d really prefer not to do that either.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

M800 Saints with 203mm rotors on a hardtail. No such thing as too much brake, you control how much is needed. Big rotors might be marginally heavier but they also dont overheat.

Some people forget how powerful v’s are/were, my first discs (hope Mono) were a step DOWN in power from my LX v’s (with the “chip” in the lever set to give maximum leverage)-the only reason I persevered with the discs was the reliable wet weather performance.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Some people forget how powerful v’s are/were, my first discs (hope Mono) were a step DOWN in power from my LX v’s (with the “chip” in the lever set to give maximum leverage)-the only reason I persevered with the discs was the reliable wet weather performance.

Not only that.. I found some V’s were very powerful but too off/on.

I had set of avid arch rivals that would flex the frame.. but they didn’t offer as much modulation as disc brakes

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I guess it must be flat where you ride GW

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>lets be honest, disc brakes are overkill for most riders whatever the bike.<

Bet you’ve got a garage full of worn out rims to prove it 😉

stevede
    Free Member

I have tech v2’s on my soul – yes they are overkill but at £60 each with braided hoses and floating rotors 2nd hand i decided to get them anyway, the key is control, the v2’s as with the formulas have plenty of control/modulation so you have usable power not just on/off like a hayes 9, use 183mm rotors on mine, think they would prob be too much with 203mm rotors.
    Not quite sure why rim brakes are being mentioned, its really not difficult to see the advantages of disc brakes over rim brakes, not quite sure why people post on here just to be argumentative.

elliott-20
    Free Member

lets be honest, disc brakes are overkill for most riders whatever the bike.

Apparently at the World DH champs this year it’s U-brakes as standard 😉

backhander
    Free Member

No such thing as overkill.

thebunk

To hijack a hijack, is everyone basically saying spend the extra 50-60 euros on The Ones over Oro Biancos / K24s? What’s the difference?

Assuming that disc brakes are the way forwards, anyway… 🙄

flyingmonkeycorps

Well mine just arrived. Assuming I can get them fit for Sunday I shall report back as to whether a) they are any good and b) they kill me due to being overkill. My current set are definitely worse than good V brakes (and probably clog dragging) so I forsee OTB moments down the Beast…

GW
    Free Member

Nick_Christy – Member
    haha, when you can come down leogang with v’s or cantis in the wet under control id give you my dh bike! or buy you a life time of rubber blocks! lol

Dude, I’m old enough to have ridden down the old (7min+) Grundig WC track in Les Gets in the wet back when pretty much no-one had discs.
    If you’ll add paying my flights into the deal, you’re on. 😀

flyingmonkeycorps – Member

Frankly no. Not anywhere NEAR as well as with a set of disc brakes. I rather like being able to gently squeeze the levers with one finger instead of having to death grip them to the bars in the hope that mud and grit from the interminable puddles and sludge may have left me enough brake block to actually grip to the rims. I think you might need a little skills training, coz once you’ve pulled that hard on a rear V-brake the wheel locks and you’re no longer riding, you’re sliding! 😉

Heather – back when I still used Vs I never managed to make a rim last long enough to wear out a braking surface.

Elliot – er..most riders don’t race DH world champs.
    http://dirt.mpora.com/news/british-world-champs-squad-announced.html

psychle
    Free Member

Avid Arch Supreme V-brakes on my Bow-ti are rather nice I have to say, excellent modulation and control, plenty of power for the type of riding the bike does (XC/trail). There’s only so much power you need and only so much you can apply before the wheels lock up! If you’re constantly bombing downhill, then discs are a massive improvement of course 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seems pretty good?

I bought a set of those, 203 front and back, only thing to be aware of is the size of the rear. My rotor was about half a baw hair away from the chainstay (Cotic soul), too close for comfort. I got a 180 rotor and adapter off here for much cheapness. Silver fish are 40 quid for the rotor and 18 for the adapter.

Great brakes, fantastic power, but well modulated as well.

flyingmonkeycorps

I think you might need a little skills training, coz once you’ve pulled that hard on a rear V-brake the wheel locks and you’re no longer riding, you’re sliding!

I’m sure I would benefit from skills training, but I’m pretty sure I’d still like to use the front brake as well as the rear. I’ve also experienced what a lovely mixture of rain, mud and grit can do to pads on V brakes (and indeed rims) and I’d really sooner not go back, thanks very much.

Heather – back when I still used Vs I never managed to make a rim last long enough to wear out a braking surface.

I take it this means that you’re one of those elite band of riders that actually justifies discs then?

GW
    Free Member

fmc – I’m not saying you need to go back but if you are a serious brake dragger, V’s with cartridge pads might actually work out more economical.
    V-brake cartridge = £3 takes >1min to fit (on parallele push V’s) and lasts a comparable amount to a set of £15 disc pads and the only maintenance should be lubing/changing the cable every once in a blue moon the saving might just justify a new rim every 18mths if you ride in shit a lot.

flyingmonkeycorps

I know, I suspect we’re both arguing for arguments sake. I’m actually pretty economical on pads, I tend not to drag much at all – just a little squeeze here and there to control speed, though I’m very, very far from DH speeds. My frame and forks don’t have V mounts so I couldn’t go back if I wanted, and I do reckon that riding through massive puddles makes discs make more sense.

If I ever get around to building a proper light XC machine I would actually consider Vs, depending where I was planning on riding it. But I wouldn’t fancy them on the full sus I’m thinking about building for uplifts / Alps trips.

stevede
    Free Member

Another point to add to the pointless rim brake argument – how many modern trail forks actually come with mounts for rim brakes? And frames come to think of it, that’s right not a lot.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Let’s be honest though – modern forks and frames are just overkill for most of us mere mortals…

elliott-20
    Free Member

No no no Heather, lets be really honest, a modern mountain bike is overkill for most of us…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Formula The Ones. Over kill on a hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.