Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Formula Rx brakes any good?
  • jkomo

Seen a set on one of German sites super cheap (£115).
    Are they any good?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I like mine. I’m running 180 / 160mm discs and they are just as powerful as my previous Hope M4’s with 203 / 180mm discs, with the added bonus of being lighter. The levers are nicely shaped and perfect for 1 finger braking if you like that sort of thing and they feel quite progressive. I’m a total Formula convert these days, I also run a set of The Ones.

neninja
    Free Member

Been very happy with the RX brakes I’ve got – been using them for about 2 years with no issues.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Really like mine.

Only draw back was getting someone to bleed them* (after 4 years of abuse and numerous flights without giving them any attention at all). I tried, but am not very mechanically minded and it didn’t work, took the bike to my usual LBS and they didn’t have the kit. Then found a shop used to Formulas and they had them good as new in a few minutes… I understand its simple – when you know how.

Also run a set of ‘the ones’ on my hardtail… another formula convert here.

*Yes I know I should do it myself & yes I know its silly paying someone to do such a simple job – but I just want to ride my bike – not fettle it.

Kato

I liked mine, they seemed really powerful for the size of rotors I was running.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Good brakes, light and powerful. I used to be a big Formula fanboi until I tried the new Shimanos though. Much nicer levers and a bit more powerful. I’d recommend taking a look at the new slx or even deore brakes. Still, I doubt you’ll be disappointed with RXes

Reluctant
    Free Member

I’m happy with my RXs – been powerful and trouble free for a few years now, only ever had to change the pads.

strike
    Free Member

All spares are available for Formula’s, unlike Shimano, plus you can talk directly to the the agent (Silverfish) for Formula…unlike Shimano (Madison).

jkomo

Great info guys. Thanks

bigjim

I really like Formula brakes, and the RX’s I’ve tried are great. I’ve just decided on Shimano though, as the spares and repairs for Formula are just stupidly expensive. I prefer the feel of Formula but sure i’ll get used to the shimanos.

Northwind

bigjim – Member

I’ve just decided on Shimano though, as the spares and repairs for Formula are just stupidly expensive.

Is expensive worse than unavailable?

bigjim

Is expensive worse than unavailable?

listen sparkle tits, it was you saying SLX are better than RX in another thread that set me off on this tangent 😛

but I’ve heard a couple of horror stories about formulas being with silverfish for weeks on weeks, which added to it.

Northwind

So I’m essentially arguing with myself then? Bang on.

bigjim

So I’m essentially arguing with myself then? Bang on.

yup:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-cheeep-formula-brakes

passtherizla
    Free Member

mine have never missed a beat.

Northwind

That is the STW way 🙂

Nah, it’s alright, I stand by the recommend… The RX is a decent but unremarkable brake, the SLX is a better brake allround IMO. Parts availability for Shimano doesn’t really come into it that much when the entire brake costs so little! Meanwhile Formula parts costs aren’t too bad when it’s a The One or something but harder to take for an Oro or RX or similiar.

So you have the right brakes but the thing about parts costs isn’t really that good a reason for buying them 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m another Formula convert, two pairs of R1s for my race bikes, The Ones on the big bike and RXs on the SS, the later two bought for really cheap off German ebay, the former two bought not quite as cheap from French ebay.
    The brakes are excellent and I’ve only needed spares once so far, due to hamfisted bolt overtightening, these were easily sourced from France as Silverfish are a right bunch of useless ****s.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got Formula RX brakes on my current bike. Had SLX on my previous bike and Formula RX on a couple of bikes before that.

The SLX felt a bit sharper and more immediate. The levers have less wobble to them also.

Both have really good lever shape for one finger braking.

The Formula’s are marginally lighter and I can’t be bothered to change them as they have plenty of power. Just be aware that the levers tend to have a little bit of wobble in the pivots, even from new.

If I was buying brakes for a new build I’d probably opt for SLX over Formula, but its marginal.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hey Andrewh
    If you think we’re useless ****s you should try dealing with some of the people who contact us.

alpin
    Free Member

despite seeing fewer Formula brakes on guests bikes than Shimano, i’ve seen more broken/bodged Formula brakes.

isn’t it the case that you don’t need spares for Shimanos as they’re not designed by some floosy italian who is more concerned about the quality of his work that he is about the secretary or the amount of gel in his hair?

mactheknife

richiethesilverfish – Member

Hey Andrewh
    If you think we’re useless ****s you should try dealing with some of the people who contact us.
    Posted 26 minutes ago # Report-Post

Class 🙂

strike
    Free Member

When I needed spares from Silverfish for my R1’s, they were REALLY helpful and my brakes were up and running again in a week.

When I needed spares for my leaking XTR caliper (leaking badly at the pistons and a month out of warranty) Madison said “buy a new caliper”…………

Formula brakes do require a bit more TLC than some others BUT they’re excellent brakes. The only other brake I’d consider would be Hope > again, all spares available.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

richie = legend!

he sorted me out a few spare screws for my the ones, that id managed to snap…i needed them urgently and instead of going through a shop and sourcing them he sent them me directly…

ive dealt with them before, and i only have high high high praises for them….

ps i had formula brakes long before silverfish became importer, and when i heard that silverfish had taken importing them i was overjoyed! it always worried me before if something went wrong as i absolutly love the brakes, they are by far the best out there by some distance, nice to know ive now got decent back up should they go wrong (which they havent!!!)

strike
    Free Member

Toby/Propel (the previous importer) was great when you could get hold of him!!! And previous to that, Windwave also gave good service.

I think, perhaps, people are fast to sometimes have a go at Formula because they are a little different from other brakes in my experience (so take a bit of understanding), and spares can be difficult to get at times but that will all soon change!

dan1980
    Free Member

I opted for Formulas over a 3rd set of SLX brakes.

The parts may be expensive, but they work out cheaper than having to replace the whole calliper/master cylinder every time something gums up.

jkomo

Sparkletits, I love that.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Formula Rx brakes any good?’ is closed to new replies.