Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Formula RX brake question
  • Shackleton

I've got a pair of Oro K18s on one bike and a pair of now rather tired Juicy 7s on the other. I'd like to replace the Juicy7s with something else and wondered about the Formula RX.

My reservations would be that with the Oros there doesn't seem to be any automatic adjustment for pad wear. As the pads wear the lever has to be pulled further and further to get the same effect as the pads are further away from the disc. I don't know if this is normal but it happens with mine and the wife's sets.

Do the RXs also do this? Other than this what are peoples opinions on these brakes?

Cheers,

P

juan
    Free Member

nope RX are just fine, fit and forget…

Shackleton

Cheers, any opinions on what they feel like in comparison to other brakes (lever feel, modulation, etc)?

nickegg
    Free Member

Big fan of Formula here…got RX1(RX Caliper/R1 lever) on my Zesty and RX on my wifes 575.

Superb brakes IMO. Came from Hope X2 previously and these are much nicer in a few ways. They're stupidly powerful (180F&R on my Zesty) and modulation is far superior, they seemingly only require a very light touch, if that makes sense. Pads are lasting forever but it has been very dry here in Bristol. They also look great, thats the most important thing obviously!

As the pads have worn i can't say i've noticed the lever travel increasing so they must auto-adjust.

I can't really comment on the long term as mine were new in early march and my wifes new in April so not really long term use yet. Our annual Alps trip will be the real test as we'll be riding them on the same trails we did last year using Hopes (X2 and Mono Mini).

I would recommend you buy the bleed kit too as you may need to shorten the hoses which might require a bleed through.

Hope that helps….Oh…and buy some now! UK Bike Store is cheapest although Evans will price match if you ring them.

Gotama
    Free Member

Don't know about the RX but on my Ones i believe they auto adjust. If you do need to adjust them (I did at the start as i like a very early bite point) you basically drop the wheel out and pull the lever in all the way to the bar once or twice. Replace the wheel, check and repeat if necessary. That method was taken off the interweb but posted by someone claiming to be a Formula rep (so no idea if its the way you're meant to do it but it worked for me!)

RicB

Formulas are rubbish at auto-adjusting for pad wear, even though they use an open reservoir design and are supposed to do it.

I found zip-tying (or similar) the brake levers tight against the bars between rides cured the problem.

Gotama's method works but sometimes one piston will shoot out further than the other and the pads rub.

nickegg
    Free Member

I just said above they auto-adjust, no increase in lever travel with half worn pads in mine.

chakaping
    Free Member

I've got two sets which came with bikes. They're pretty good so far. Light, nice modulation, powerful enough.

Squeal a bit in the wet and standard pads wear very fast though.

Might be selling a set soon, email me if you're interested in secondhand. Address in profile.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they auto adjust.

nickegg
    Free Member

Chakaping: They certainly squeal. God knows what people must of thought as i started off down Snowdon Ranger Path in dense fog with the noise mine were making!!!! They're fine once warmed up though. Also, what kind of conditions/where have you been riding? I ask as mine were new in early March and pads are barely half worn, if that.

chakaping
    Free Member

One set only dry weather and DHing (so less time actually in saddle) have only got normal wear.

Other set have seen more riding, including a couple of grotty ones, and pads have worn v quick.

I'm putting it down to the stock compound being a bit rubbish.

nickegg
    Free Member

Your experiences are the polar opposite of mine. I can think of only two rides that were particularly wet since i've had my bike (there must have been more!) A lap of the July trail at Afan and the start of the Snowdon descent i did a couple of weeks ago. Neither has made much difference to the pads.

I was actually thinking the stock pads must be pretty good although they can squeal abit and actually make a 'Honking' sound in the wet!

nasher
    Free Member

I have 6 bikes with rx and the one brakes and although they are very powerful and work great i do have to pop the wheel out and squeeze the lever to push the pistons out as the pads wear…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX brake question’ is closed to new replies.