Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • formula R1 brakes – your opinion on them?
  • jonnyrockymountain

as title anyone use these?

rewski
    Free Member

Very good brakes, very light and powerful. Mine are 2010 model and I had an issue with losing the shifter bolts.

aracer
    Free Member

They stop the round shiny things attached to the round black rubber things from going round. Did you have any other questions?

Janesy
    Free Member

My 2011 are Great! just choose your pads wisely, some Formula compatible ones are absolutely rubbish.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Yep, I like them. They look nice, weigh little, stop you well. That’s the essentials covered. They also have a good feel, easy to control the braking power. Only downside is I find they can be a bit tricky to set up 100% drag free.

drbob65
    Free Member

Excellent brakes, well built

rewski
    Free Member

I use swiss stop pads with mine, bit overkill for south and north downs to be honest.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Love mine great power, been using superstar Kevlar pads and are the only thing I’ve never upgraded on my new build!!!

davewilson634
    Free Member

I know their not exactly the same but I got some RX today just change from hope and cannot believe how much better these feel.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’m happy with mine, as they have better feel and are way lighter than what I was using before. The only criticism I have is that the organic pads should come with a warning…I had to cut a wet ride a short, as they just didn’t work!!! I now use the sintered ones and they’re spot on.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Great brakes. V. light. V. powerful.

I don’t dare do the teensy weensy red anodised alu torx mounting bolts up much though.. They look soooo fragile. 😯

Only thing I would say is that they are very powerful and have great modulation, but a kindof ‘wooden’ feel in comparison to my 2012 XTR trails. The XTRs are almost as powerful but feel ‘spongy’ and ‘springy’ when applying braking force, whereas the R1s are a bit more ‘blunt’ feeling. It’s probably more down to preference in feel than anything else, but if spec’ing a new bike I’d probably be more tempted to go for the XTRs.

It’s probably got something to do with the braided hoses on the R1s and lack of servo-wave bollx.

…probably.

… if any of that makes any sense?

FuzzyWuzzy

I have R1 levers and RX calipers – any problems with braking ability/control is down to the rider.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I’ve had K18’s, RX’s and now R1X’s, awesome.
    As has been said can be a pig to setup without drag but current setup only drags on the rear and who uses the rear brake anyway……?

Gee76
    Free Member

Had em for years n love em… The nice shiny new ones are best yet and have gone back to more robust bolts. The ti on the raving versions nice too;)

Northwind

no_eyed_deer – Member

I don’t dare do the teensy weensy red anodised alu torx mounting bolts up much though.. They look soooo fragile.

Don’t overtorque ’em! They’re not fragile exactly but they’re designed as a weak spot to help protect the lever in a crash so it’s not a very good idea to “upgrade” them, incidentally.

I really rate mine- think The One is a better brake allround but if you want light yet mighty, they are light yet mighty.

alwillis

red bolts which hold the pads in are made of cheese, so much so I have already had to drill out two (successfully). Apart from that they are great and I am a reasonably large (85kg) reasonably aggressive rider

DanW
    Free Member

Pros: Light, powerful, bling, cheap (on ebay if you know where to look)

Cons: Need to replace all alu bolts with Ti, replacement parts have been tricky to get hold of until recently and replacement parts are super expensive and set up wise they are super hard to set up drag free.

The pads have so little clearance around the rotor it is almost impossible to not have them dragging. Slightly inconsistent QR tension between refitting wheels causes lots of drag for example. I got to the stage of needing to adjust them before every ride and decided I couldn’t stand them any more. They were sent for inspection and rebleeding under warranty but I was told they were perfect and this is just how R1’s are supposed to be. These were 2010 brakes but I have heard more recent versions should have addressed the drag issues.

I went with XTR which are a few g’s heavier but far more consistent and reliable

Northwind

DanW – Member

The pads have so little clearance around the rotor it is almost impossible to not have them dragging.

I can honestly say this has never been an issue, nor with any other brake in working order tbh. (mine are also 2010)

DanW
    Free Member

The pads have so little clearance around the rotor it is almost impossible to not have them dragging.

I can honestly say this has never been an issue, nor with any other brake in working order tbh. (mine are also 2010)

As far as I can gather this is a somewhat mixed issues affecting some more than others. The distributor were not entirely helpful, nor were Formula. From what I can gather online there seems to be a mix of quality control issues in the earlier brakes and the very small diameter pistons not quite sitting square in the calipers making retraction harder than intended. Quite a few people mention this online too so I am certainly not alone but with the distributors/ Formula not offering (or maybe even able) to fix the issue most people like me tended to be stuck with very expensive, very annoying brakes.

sig123
    Free Member

have some for sale if interested 2010 ones.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘formula R1 brakes – your opinion on them?’ is closed to new replies.