• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Formula Mega or The One brakes for DH?
  • kevin1911

What is the consensus about Formula’s Mega or The One brakes?

I previously had oro K24’s on a trail bike and found them to be well modulated but really quite underpowered.

The Mega’s or One’s would be to go on a DH bike (it’s over 40lb, and I’m no lightweight either).

Ideally I’d prefer some Saint’s, but they’re looking like ~£300 + rotors, whereas Formula are doing a set of Mega’s or One’s for about £130, including discs.

xiphon
    Free Member

Had a blast on a pretty chucky Yeti 303, with One brakes – stopped on a penny. Rather impressed…

Northwind

The latest The Ones are fantastic brakes, best I’ve used, and can be seen on a lot of world cup race bikes too.

But the cheaper ones at Formula are the old model and IMO not as good. Certainly not bad at all and will do the job, and at £130 all in you can’t go too wrong.

kevin1911

Any idea what’s different about the newer models?

Northwind

It’s a total redesign of the lever tbh. Same intent/target market but they’re effectively different brakes.

To me the old model (and most of its generation of Formulas) just felt a bit soft and vague, though do still have plenty of power. They’re also a bit fiddlier to bleed.

Burchy1
    Free Member

In true stw fashion I’m gonna disagree with Northwind 😉

I bought the Mega’s direct from Formula that you’ve mentioned and found them to (one bled, which is a bit of a pain tbh until it clicks) have a really good feel. Power comes in, in an on/off way and can then be squeezed for more if needed. If they are the same as the ones I got the lever has a nice bite point adjusted aswell which is useful.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Oh and if you want a different size rotor to the one in the shop just ask, I wanted 180’s and they were more than happy to swap rotors+adaptors for me.

Northwind

It’s all relative- the newer models are Incredibly Awesome, the old ones are just good. I’m still using a set of The One FRs on the DH bike and they do the job perfectly well but I do wish I could afford another set of new Ones as they’re just not Incredibly Awesome.

To be fair, if I’d not had the newer ones I might be less judgemental.

jamj1974

I have some of The Ones (2009 model). In 3 years of use they have been proven to be powerful, reliable and have huge modulation. I weigh 13 stone and like riding steep, rocky, technical trails – for which they have been excellent. Whether rapidly decelerating from 40mph or easing the brake on to negotiate a tight, twisting ‘staircase’ they cannot be faulted. Good on pad wear too!

Much better than the multiple pairs of Hope I have owned previously…

grum
    Free Member

Can you really get The Ones for £130 including discs? If so bite their hand off.

I paid £300 for the pair without discs – felt ridiculous at the time but they’ve been awesome and I don’t regret it. I weigh nearly 17 stone and they stop me easily with one finger braking.

kevin1911

OK, thanks, that’s it decided then.

Anyone know what the difference is between The One and the Mega’s?

vorlich
    Free Member

I bought Megas direct, 203/203 and have been superb on my HT. Now downsized the rear to 180. Never needed bled until recently. MEGA is 2 piece caliper, One is 1 piece. FWIW, I’m 15st, but was about 16 when I first bought them.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve used loads of Formula brakes over the past few years – Oro, Bianca, Mega, One, and a few others I can’t remember…

They seem to get amazing write-upa and reviews, but my experience has been far from rosey. I’ve finally given up on them.

Shimano – XT (best brake I’ve ever used), Saints – 4 pot callipers FFS! They are the best DH brake I would say. XT’s 200/180 would be pretty close too, if not get the better of the Saints

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Just fitted a set of Megas to my new build, they are older I think 2009 and I’m very impressed with performance 203mm Front and rear, they are progressive and the lever action I think is much better so far than my Shimano Deores with similar sized rotors.
    Richard

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got ones on my ht, and megas on the fs. Can’t tell the difference, both great. Ones are over 2 years old, never needed to bleed them, megas just over a year, ditto.

I think my ones are the single best mtb component I have had in just under 10 years of biking.

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve a set of 2010 Ones and they are really powerful. Almost too powerful for my liking. A few guys got the Megas (for DH) as they were cheaper and they like them a lot. If i was buying again, i’d opt for the Megas too.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve a set of 2010 Ones and they are really powerful. Almost too powerful for my liking

What size rotors? I used to have 203/185 and went down a size as they were unnecessarily powerful.

Shimano – XT (best brake I’ve ever used), Saints – 4 pot callipers FFS! They are the best DH brake I would say. XT’s 200/180 would be pretty close too, if not get the better of the Saints

Not IME, one mate has XTs and the other Saint calipers with XT levers – both agree my Ones are way more powerful.

kevin1911

Closest thing I’ve seen to consensus on STW for years 🙂

Some Mega’s just ordered. 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

203’s front + back Grum. If they go pop, i’ll probably swap to 180. Was there much difference with the smaller size? (what do you opt for?)

I seem to be in a minority, but I like crap/average brakes. I generally only want to slow down a little bit and my other brakes are perfect for this. I can’t manage that with the Ones, especially when my arms get weary.

edit: good choice Kev 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Formula Mega or The One brakes for DH?’ is closed to new replies.