Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Formula Brakes
  • bobster
    Free Member

Opinions? What are the like to bleed?

And which one for aggressive Trail riding or whatever it's called nowadays, just riding the damn trails and hitting whatever is in front of you. R1 OK for that or too lightweight XC style? Surely The ONe is too much? K24? Mega?

Ta

psychle
    Free Member

I have 3 sets of Puro's (blinged up K24's). They've served me well over the past couple of years, bit of a faff to bleed but not too bad… Getting a set of The One's for my Enduro though, sometimes think the Puro's are a little underpowered for this bike at times…) Propel (the distributers) are great to deal with as well 🙂

pantsonfire
    Free Member

K18 (same as K24 without adjuster) are reasonably powerful and a good trail brake with lots of feel. However Propel are a waste of space in my experience much cheaper and quicker to order spares from Formula USA

heihei

Have a set of The Ones on my 5-Spot and the power of them allowed me to go down a rotor size. Just put a set of R1's on my Titus which is used for fast thrashes. The Ones are light enough for general use and the power + modulation is fantastic, the R1's a bling-tastic for lightweight duty, but reckon they'd do everyday XC well too. Only downside is that replacement pads are not as widely stocked as stuff like Hopes, so carry spares if you are on a trip.

sadexpunk

ive always found toby at propel excellent to deal with. takes ages to make sure you understand everything, and has even sent me bits and bobs that are hard to source. (those fiddly little o rings for instance :-))

psychle
    Free Member

same here, Toby at Propel is proper helpful…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have K18 180/160 size rotors.
    So far i've never felt underbraked with them and the modulation, lever feel etc i find very intuitive.
    Only thing i found was that i went through pads like curry through a pisshead! My fault, since i discovered how to bed them in properly the pads are fine. Good brakes IMHO.

vikingboy
    Free Member

I use R1s on my motolite upgrading from Elixir CRs. Power, modulation and weight were all significantly better. I just put a pair of The Ones on and whilst they are definitely more powerful, the lever pull is significantly longer which although a good thing for a downhill orientated bike, might be a bit of a chore for XC use.
    Personally Im a fan of Formula brakes.

vikingboy
    Free Member

PS R1s are very easy to bleed. The Ones slightly more complicated due to location of bleed nipples.

richtea
    Free Member

My k24s are great, problem free in 18 months. all i've done is change pads whenever they needed refreshing. thumbs up from me

Vortexracing

3 x sets of K18's – love em, great modulation and plenty of poer. plus reliable and a piece of piss to bleed

gizzardman
    Free Member

Toby @ Propel HAS to be helpful as Formula brakes are PITA.

HendyTreker
    Free Member

I had R1'S on my Zesty, which were superb, but replaced them with the ones for the Alps, which are in a different league. Saving the R1'S for my next hardtail build though!

simonm
    Free Member

ive had K18, very powerfull.. the The Megas..amazing. Recently got Avid Elixrs, same stopping power as 2x200mm with 200 + 160mm rotors. Highly recommended.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Formula Brakes’ is closed to new replies.