Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Forks – new or fix old ones?
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My stanchions on my Fox 90RL (90mm) are bu66ered so need new ones which means a new crown and steerer – probably over £200 all in (need to send off to Fox, etc).

Just done a bit of checking out and there are some 2009 models available for under £300 (well under half price in some cases) – mostly Float 100s.

Could it be worth getting a whole new set of forks?
    Will going from 90mm to 100mm travel kill my geometry (Stumpy HT)?
    How about converting to 15mm Maxle – currently using normal QR skewers but had a few issues (i.e. Hope ones come loose – now using an old XTR one up front)?

They need to be air, light and 100mm or less so cheap SIDs could also be a goer.

Hmmm….

clubber
    Free Member

Can’t you use your Jesus-like awesomeness to heal the fox stanchions?

Could it be worth getting a whole new set of forks? Yes
    Will going from 90mm to 100mm travel kill my geometry (Stumpy HT)? No
    How about converting to 15mm Maxle – currently using normal QR skewers but had a few issues (i.e. Hope ones come loose – now using an old XTR one up front)? Up to you. Doesn’t really change your life/your bike much but if you think the added security is worthwhile, go for it.

iainc

buy the 100mm, QR ones and flog the old ones for spares. extra 10 mm will be un-noticeable. stick with a Shimano QR – I doubt the ‘extra stiffness’ of a bolt through would be noticeable on that setup.

I’d get these :

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/Rockshox+Suspension+Forks/Rockshox+Reba+SL+-+2010_880.htm

LoCo
    Free Member

Service, csu and bushes will make the forks as good as new, apart from the dings and scratches, mail me if you want a quote.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Clubber – I stood by the forks last night for an hour chanting at them but the little gits wouldn’t “heal” – my powers are slipping…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Your powers are weak old man

mboy
    Free Member

DEFINITELY buy new forks, spending £200 on a new CSU for an old fork is poor economy. Especially when like you say, you can get a full new fork for £300.

What hubs are you using? Hope Pro2 per chance? If so, Don’t bother going down the QR15 route (unless you can get a fork really cheaply), get the 9mm QR adapters and a 9mm QR axle from Superstar (£7.99, a LOT cheaper than the DT one), this route makes a massive difference over a normal QR and for not much money at all and works with normal forks.

As far as going from 90 to 100mm of travel is concerned, I’d be very surprised if you really notice it. It’s not going to kill the geometry, it’ll slacken the bike by less than half a degree, if you feel the front end is a bit high after doing this, drop the stem down by 10mm of spacers to compensate…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

mboy – brilliant info – thanks! Yep I am using Pro 2 hubs.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

I picked up some RS Reba SL form Merlin in white with the remote lockout for £230, they had an extra 10% off that week, keep an eye out for them. They are on my chicks on-one, bought them to bring the weight down and replace the coil forks, weigh in at about 1700g. Absolut bargain if you ask me.

Its definitely worth keeping an eye on the merlin site and on-one.co.uk, they usually do some awesome deals but they seem to be a bit low on stock right now.

As Iain C says, buy new and sell the old ones for parts.

iainc

10% off Merlin again this weekend too 😛

robhughes
    Free Member

mboy.
    are they the switch 9mm adapters your talking about.
    do they fit pro 2,s?

robhughes
    Free Member

ahh.
    wires crossed there.
    didn,t think those switch ones would fit pro2. 😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hmmm – £275 to fix mine (90RLs – they’d be serviced and converted to 100mm too) , or spend just under £400 on some 100mm Fox Floats – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46179 or possibly look at Rebas/SIDs. My “sourcing” mate is checking out RS with his SRAM mate so this could be an option.

As usual, all more pricey than expected!

LoCo
    Free Member

£275? Csu, bushes, service and conversion? Pricey 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If CSU is “crown steerer unit” then yep – that’s what I’m being quoted on.

Did you say you can do it?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep mail me for detail.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Via the contact form on your website? Can’t find a direct email address.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Forks – new or fix old ones?’ is closed to new replies.