Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Forks for Turner RFX?
  • GT85

Just got myself a 08 Turner RFX frame and am undecided on what forks to fit. I have a brand new boxed set of RockShox Pike 454 Coil U-Turns in the garage. My original intention was to fit these to a 09 5-spot but the RFX deal was too good to refuse. I’m not sure if the 140mm of travel will do the frame justice and have been looking at 160mm adjustable travel forks (Fox 36 Talas/Rockshox Lyrik/Marzocchi ATA). I want to keep the weight down as much as possible as I like to be able to ride up as well as down.
    Anyone with any thoughts?

GT85

BTW, I’m not a hardcore downhiller. I do keep a SS inbred for my more day to day riding.

mrpink
    Free Member

The RFX needs a 160mm fork!

Coasting
    Free Member

Ive got a RFX thats built basically from pretty light stuff and im running some Fox 140’s on the front.I use the bike for heavy duty xc type riding,no large drops or uber steap stuff.I find the forks gr8.Keeps the weight down and doesnt do anything strange to the bike.I suspect if u wont to go hardcore something with a little more travel would b advised.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’ve got 36 FLoats on my 08 RFX. As MrPink said, the RFX needs a 160 fork, 140mm belong on a Spot. Even with 160mm, it climbs surprising well. I regularly out-climb others on hardtails up technical sections. I can’t say that I miss not having travel adjust.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Van 36s on the front of my 6 pack. Can’t say I’ve ever missed adjustable travel.

GT85

Thanks. Think I’m sold on the idea of the Fox 36. Have read many good reviews and no bad. Hope I can get up those hills as well as you doof_doof! All my mates have 5-spots w/o travel adjust.

mrpink
    Free Member

The Fox 36 is a good match,i have a 36 Talas on my 5 spot,if i had a RFX i would use a float 36.What sort of price did you get the frame for?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Lyriks! Coil of course.

Gary_C

My ’06 RFX is fitted with 36 FLOAT’s most of the time,nice & (relatively) light,plush as owt,& the lack of travel adjustment is forgotten about after a couple of rides.(They replaced a set of Wotan’s which had the travel adjuster).
    When I use the bike for a bit more d/h action,a set of Marzocchi 66’s go on,they’re 180mm travel,weigh a ton…but what the heck!!

the_lecht_rocks

fox 36 van and CCDB on my 6 Pack. Awesome awesome combo.

just perfect geometry, apart from a too slack seat angle for LONG climbs.

FOX 36’s !!!!!!!

GregB
    Free Member

I used a set of Marzocchi Z1 Light ETA on my Six Pack as I didn’t get on with 36s. All down to personal preference though! I found they matched the frame well (150mm travel, same as the rear and were light enough for all-day riding but still stiff enough for DH courses.

(Shameless plug: I’ve actually now got both the frame and the forks for sale if anyone is interested – mail me for details if interested. greg_barton AT btinternet.com)

sonicbob
    Free Member

hi mate if your selling the pikes let me know regards bob robert.mersey@btopenworld.com

heihei

Have a virtually brand new set of coil Lyrics I may be tempted to part with…. ajryanATbtinternet.com

toons
    Free Member

I’m running the Fox float 36’s on my 08 RFX. Keeps the weight down and I reckon the bike out climbs my 05 Spot(had pikes).

The 36’s are amazing; you can pick any line and hang-on 🙂

RFX weight is about 29.07lbs

Photos

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Lyric U-turns on my ’02 RFX.

It does *need* 160mm forks. 140s are not really man enough to keep up with the back end.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Forks for Turner RFX?’ is closed to new replies.