Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Forks for Pace RC405
  • chrispalmr
    Free Member

Hi,

I've recently bought an RC405 frameset to replace my ageing Fisher Sugar+. With the addition of a semi-int headset, I've transfered all my other parts over to it, including a Manitou Minute 3 IT fork c2006 which has just been completely rebuilt as-new. The fork is max 130mm travel, and the Pace is designed for a 130mm fork. However, I know not all forks of the same travel are the same axle:crown length. On my first ride it constantly felt like the fork was too short – not a good sensation for descents!

So:

1] What fork for an RC405?
    2] Anyone know what axle:crown length the frame is optimised for?

All (relevant!) help appreciated

Cheers

Chris

Simwit

Hi

Just got a 405 myself and I love it. I'm running a DT Swiss XMC130 which I believe was originaly a Pace fork that the frame was designed around so reason says it's the right one for the job. A quick go with my tape measure says that axle centre to bottom of the crown race (i.e the surface the race sits down onto)is 510mm.

Hope this is of some help

Simon

BadlyWiredDog

I'm running a Pushed Pike Air U-Turn – works for me, feels about right though I sometimes drop the travel on steep climbs. The bike has quite a low front end to put a bit of weight on the front wheel, which feels a bit odd if you're not used to it, so I guess it might be worth giving it a few rides to see if it's just that, though I'm no expert.

Ringo
    Free Member

i had an air uturn rev on mine that was ok. Now got a 140 vanilla on and its lovely

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Crikey, what a coincidence, I replaced my Sugar+ with a 405 too (but am currently using it as donor for yet another build). 510mm does sound like the optimum axle-crown length. I ran mine with the DT XMC130 and it suits the bike very well – as simwit has mentioned, it was apparently designed around this fork (or the Pace version).

If you're interested I am thinking of selling the fork, as my new bike is running a 160mm. Fork is in excellent condition and has been serviced by Pace.

p.s. with the XMC on it should certainly be less twitchy than your old Sugar+

Paceman
    Free Member

I spoke to the guys at Pace before building up my 405. They confirmed the frame is designed for 510mm axle to crown length, but a little either side would also work depending on whether you want an XC or all-mountain bias geometry.

I run Fox Talas on mine set at 140mm 90% of the time, only dropped to 120/100mm for very steep and long climbs. They work great with a 90mm Hope stem and two 5mm spacers under the stem.

No prizes for guessing the location … 😉

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help/input chaps.

The Manitou 130 has a axle/crown length of 508mm, so a new fork doesn't seem to be the answer! (I don't think my skillz are up to noticing a 2mm difference in fork length!).

I need to try a few things (including just getting more time in the saddle and seeing how I adjust to it); a shorter stem might be on the list, alternatively I may go for replace the lower headset for one of these [/url]

Cheers again for the thoughts.

Chris

fattatlasses
    Free Member

FWIW, I've also tried a 140mm Vanilla RLC and, more recently, one of the latest 150mm Revelations. Personally, I felt the Vanilla suited the bike really well – whereas the 150mm fork just seemed to give a little bit of a 'perched on the bike' feel. Headset idea is worth a try – certainly cheaper than a new fork. Best of luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Forks for Pace RC405’ is closed to new replies.