Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Forks for a Dialed Prince Albert Classic
  • Sodajim

Hi guys,

I have brought a small Prince Albert Classic for my lad off of a kind forum member but the old coil Manatou forks I had in mind to put on it we in a worse state than I remembered when I dug them out of the back of the shed last night.

Looking at serviceable 26″ straight steerer QR forks on ebay new or used is throwing up some shockingly high prices so I am thinking of keeping it simple (and in budget) and using a ridged steel fork. He’s not had suspension before and weights next to nothing so I’m of the mind that no suspension and a decent sized front tyre will be better than bad suspension.

If I’m correct the classic Prince Albert was designed around 120 mm of travel so I thought a ridged 29 er fork with an axle to crown measurement of about 460 mm might be the best bet.

Has anyone run a Prince Albert on a ridged 29 er fork and on the off chance does anyone have a half decent one with disc tabs that they want to shift?

nedrapier

Dunno, but I’ve just bought some coil sektors for my PAC from CRC for £250 (I bought couple of other bits at the same time and allocated the total 10% saving to the forks to make me feel better about buying new 26″ straight steerer forks)

flashinthepan
    Free Member

What’s the budget?

Would have thought you could get some second hand Recons / Rebas fro around £120 on eBay

Sodajim

Thanks for the reply’s unfortunately the budget doesn’t stretch into to the hundred’s. With hindsight in the last year or so I’ve sold off really good condition Revelation RLTi’s and Reba World cups with Push Dampers on ebay for not much more than £120 hence my shock that people are asking that for what look like well used Tora’s and Recons. If I’d had any sense I should have realized my lad would one day grow and hung onto my better 26″ forks!

Budget realistically is £50 or under hence thinking ridged steel.

moonboy
    Free Member

Dialled PA rides beautifully on 120mm. Give it the fork it deserves.

Finding straight steerer 120mm Rebas 2nd hand is a total mission mind you. May have to look at fox or x-fusion options.

I regret selling mine, went for peanuts, should have just kept it and built it back up with bits.

Sodajim

Dialled PA rides beautifully on 120mm. Give it the fork it deserves.

Finding straight steerer 120mm Rebas 2nd hand is a total mission mind you. May have to look at fox or x-fusion options.

I regret selling mine, went for peanuts, should have just kept it and built it back up with bits

I know what you mean about the Reba’s, after selling my lovely clean straight steerer World Cup’s with carbon crowns and a push damper for not a lot I thought I’d be able to pick up cooking set for under a £100 no problem until I looked.. Oh no I can’t !!… 😥

nedrapier

Sektor’s just arrived in the post! 😀

Wasn’t planning on a bike ride tonight, but I might just have to now.

Haven’t ridden the PA for months. 😀 again.

Edit: Tits. Crown race is still on the Revs in the shop. 😡

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Only 100mm travel but these look in good fettle. Cheap too (not mine BTW)
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182759380092

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg

105mm BITD

120mm

sobriety
    Free Member

Early 2000s marzocchi mx air/grand fondo is where I’d good

Cheap, plush, but not light.

Will probably surviv Kim and Donnys Instant Sunshineathon too.

andyg1966

Let me check, might have some Marz MX COMPs. You can have them for the postage.

Sodajim

andyg1966 – Member
    Let me check, might have some Marz MX COMPs. You can have them for the postage.

Hi Andy if you have a set of MX Comps that would be fantastic I’ve run them happily myself back in the day. I’d gladly make a donation to charity as well as the postage if you want 😀

Monkeysfeet thanks for the heads up buddy but unfortunately the MZ comps were coil and heavily sprung at that. My lads so light I doubt they’ll move with him on there so what with the weight penalty I think ridged would be better. I appreciate your help though 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member
    mark90
    Free Member

Run 140 Sektor RL’s on mine. Fun for bashing about the woods 🙂

mehr
    Free Member

On the op 2nd hand 1 1/8 fork prices fluctuate like crazy, earlier this year I couldn’t get hold of a set of lyriks or 36’s for less than £250 even 66’s were going for crazy money

Lately they seem to be going for £100 less

ajantom

Older Magura forks are good. Very well built, and last forever.
    Something like the Phaon(?) would do the job well.

nedrapier

😀 It’s still a little bit small for me, but great fun. Been riding rigid since Feb, suspension’s quite nice, isn’t it!?

All Of The Spacers meant I could just whack it all together and head out.

matt_outandabout

Holy spacer stack!

matt_outandabout

We had a MK2 from another stw user, now being ridden fast by a friend’s son. Despite on paper being not that different from my Sanderson, it managed to be totally different in character – much more hold on and batter through/jump off, rather than slink n shimmy through that the Sanderson was.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Personally I would forget e-bay and head to Pinkbike. E-bay is just full of people trying to make more money on their parts, Pinkbike is full of people clearing out sheds or upgrading so let stuff go for cheaper.

Sodajim

Thanks for the tip on Pinkbike, I never think of venturing over there! I’ll go and have a dig!

hypnonewt
    Free Member

No problem seen these on there that might fit your requirements

Marzocchi Z1 –

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2253402/

nedrapier

I forgot the props to the bike shop: new forks in my sweaty mitts, but crown race was on the knackered forks in the shop, and I couldn’t get back before they shut. Still got to go out that night, though!

Thanks to the guys at MB Cyclery (the shop formerly known as Cycleworks) Haslemere. Nice bunch in there.

Sodajim

Can I just openly say a massive thank you to andyg1966, Andy took the time to dig out, photograph and box up a pair of MX Comps ETA’s which just turned up at work for the cost of postage! Top fellow!!

Its continually warming to know there are some really great people out there on this site 😀

nedrapier

Wot a lovely man! I gave the exact same fork to a mate, after seeing what a state he’d got his into. still in great nick. You upgrade to new and shiny and get the MX comps out of the box a few years later and think “what was wrong with these?!”

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Forks for a Dialed Prince Albert Classic’ is closed to new replies.