Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Forks …kaputt
  • onehundredthidiot

I’ve a 2009 zesty which is without doubt the most fun bike I’ve ever had. Until recently when the front wheel started to go very loose, replaced bearings but no good, bought new wheel no good. Just back from a great morning ride but front end wayward to say the least. Had a look and the dropouts seem pretty worn, which i suppose would explain the wobbly wheel issue. Noticed recently that there was a wear limit for thickness of the dropouts, anyone happen to know what that is?

Secondly assuming I have worn out a set of forks what are my options? Repair? How? or replace? What with? 140mm, straight steerer, qr (unless my wheels can be adapted to….whatever). Had a quick look online and not much meets my old school needs.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Your bike is nearly obsolete so when you need to replace one part you also have to replace 3 or 4 others due to new standards.

However, I think Merlin still have some Revelations and Sektors with 150mm (I think they can be reduced if need be) with a straight steerer but you will need a new front wheel as they are 15mm maxle.

Otherwise secondhand is a good option for eeking a few more years out of your obsolete bike.

thepurist

I’m sure Loco/TF/Mojo can stick some new lowers on – but its probably cheaper to stick a 2nd hand fork on there.

timmys

If you want can fit a tapered fork to the straight 44mm headtube on a 2009 Zesty (I have), using a headset with an external bottom cup. eg from the Hope pick n’ mix you’d need a “2” top and an “H” bottom;

http://cdn.hopetechnology.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPE-HEADSET-FITTING-CHART.pdf

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Oh, is a 2009 Zesty 44mm?

Then tapered will be fine but will raise/slacken the front end a touch assuming you have a zero stack lower at the moment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Forks …kaputt’ is closed to new replies.