Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Forks bottoming out. Eek!
  • beaconjon
    Free Member

Was bumbling around Cannock yesterday and got a little air (seriously not much, I’m pretty poor) and felt my forks bottom out a couple of times which was disconcerting to say the least.

The forks are an old set of Fox Vanillla 125 32RL on an old FSR. Preload was set pretty high so I was surprised.

I’ve owned the bike for a couple of years and never looked at replacing the forks but after yesterday it’s got me thinking.
    They’ve always felt pretty soft and keen to dive under little pressure. I know a service might help but will I need to think about changing the spring?

FYI I’m 82kg.

Cheers Jon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What adjustment do you have on those? I’m guessing just external rebound? Next up would be spring and oil weight. If they haven’t been serviced for a while the oil could be half water so not really fit for purpose.

wwaswas

I’ve always read that bottoming out once or twice on your normal ride is about right with forks.

Preload only affects how much energy is needed to start them moving, it doesn’t affect the spring rate thereafter.

Tbh, if you run preload to get the small bump sensitivity you want then a firmer spring might not be the right thing as they’ll be firmer throughout their travel.

They been serviced much since you had them?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve always read that bottoming out once or twice on your normal ride is about right with forks.

File that alongside if you say it enough it must be true, on the big bike I only bottom out occasionally when I either go big or go bad. On the short travel it happens more often but I’d rather have a decent ramp up at the end of the travel

beaconjon
    Free Member

They’ve not been serviced since I’ve had the bike. Would that deffinately breath a bit of life back into them? I’m a reasonably proficient bike mechanic so would be happy to do it myself.

The forks have preload (top of left leg), rebound (top of right) and lockout beneath the rebound on the right.

They do make a squelching noise btw.

fadda

Definitely a service. New oil and seals should sort them right out.

beaconjon
    Free Member

Where’s the best place to get a service kit? Are the ones on eBay any good?

Any idea of oil weight I should look for?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fox list at of stuff, I’ve only ever used the genuine seal kits. Work well.

khani
    Free Member

The pre-load adjustment only affects the sag, it doesn’t make any difference to the spring rate and if it’s bottoming out too easily you probably need a new heavier spring which are available from Mojo and are easy to change, (take topcap off, remove old spring fit new one, put topcap back on)
    There’s guides on Mojos website for lowers services and oil changes as well,
    Great forks the old Vanillas IMO…

legend
    Free Member

Great forks the old Vanillas IMO…

Bullet-proof bits of kit! Only things that rivalled old Marzocchis as fit and forget imo.

I used to run the stock spring in mine, and I weight 62kg. Running the stock (medium iirc) Spring at 82kg isn’t going to work well

beaconjon
    Free Member

So a heavier spring and a service should sort it. Cheaper than replacing the whole fork?

khani
    Free Member

if the the rest of the forks are in good nick with no stanchion wear then it’s a no brainer I reckon, a new spring with an oil change and new seals will sort em right out and cost way less than new forks..
    There’s loads of how to vids on Mojo and YouTube to follow as well..

beaconjon
    Free Member

That’s that then.

New parts to order after the Xmas rush.

Thanks for advice folks.

Simon

What khani said. Old vanillas are simple forks and easy to diy service.

khani
    Free Member

still got a set of Van 125’s on one of the wife’s bikes, 12yrs old and still perfect..
    She tried some much newer Reba 120’s a bit ago but she said they weren’t anyway near as nice as the Vans and made me change em back..

khani
    Free Member

(M’old) they don’t make em like they used to.. (M’old)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Forks bottoming out. Eek!’ is closed to new replies.