Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Forks and wheelset for alpine 160
  • jsdvtr
    Free Member

Morning everyone.

So i currently have 2010 orange crush and just bought a 2016 alpine 160 frame to build up over winter. Bought XT cranks, shifters, etc.

2 things im really stuck on are wheelset and forks.
    I originally wanted pikes but heard so many horror storys of them having problems and being sent back constantly! I have narrowed it down to the lyrik and fox 36. The lyrik doesnt seem to have the problems of the pike and is on par to the 36 from reviews and is £300 less. The 36 looks better made and so many good reviews of how much better than the pike they are.

I know there are a few other cheaper forks like the x fusion, marzocchi 350r, manitou mattoc.

Any alpine or fork owners of any of these could give some feedback would be great.

Thanks Jamie

russyh
    Free Member

Interestingly most of my riding group run pike forks. Not one pair has had to go back under warranty! They are a great set of forks in terms of value for money. I had sworn never to touch Fox kit again after the shocking set of 36’s egos that came on one of my bikes. But the new kit looks and feels sublime. If I were in the market for some forks again now I would be hard pressed to look past Fox (apart from maybe the price )

As for wheelset I guess it depends on budget. I have a pair of Hope pro2 evo hubsvlaved on Easton arc 2£’s coming availe soon if any interest?

jsdvtr
    Free Member

What year are the pikes, any idea? They do get very good reviews overall. The lyriks are meant to be much better.

I could be interested in the wheels, do you have a price in mind?

julians
    Free Member

I’ve got a set if lyriks, they’re pretty good hard to fault really.

russyh
    Free Member

My pikes are 2015, been faultless and now just been Andreani upgraded by Sprung suspension. In fact in my group we have them ranging from about 2015- new over the last week

jsdvtr
    Free Member

Well its good to hear some good stories about the pikes. Maybe it is the earlier models with the problems and have since been rectified.

I do really like the fox 36 but its just the price.

tmb467
    Free Member

X fusion metric get good reviews

Mate raced megavalanche on em and did pretty well too

russyh
    Free Member

What are these problems you are talking about? Short of the creaky csu which was warrantied? What issues have there been I have had Pike forks from just about uk market intro in 26″ format initially when they blew everything else away through to my current set. Which are great forks just think Fox has caught up and overtaken. The Andreani upgrade has made a massive improvement to the small bump compliance on mine something I have always struggled with in the pike.

But I would genuinely love to know what all these ‘issues’ are?

jsdvtr
    Free Member

Yes the creeking. Alot of what i have read had been sent back to have the same problem again or on a new set of forks. Im in no doubt they are very good forks id just rather know if its been resolved on newer models before spending my hard earned money.

hot_fiat

Got 36s on my Alpine. They’re the 2012 model with talas. I wouldn’t bother with talas – I very rarely use it now I’ve got the compression and pressures sorted properly (TF Tuned). The only maintainance I do is wipe and lube the stanchions after every ride and change the seals once a year. They are a beautiful fork and have been faultless despite my buldozer line choice. The 2013 model were the first with CTD & had some reliability issues. 2015 and beyond seem to be much better.

The alpine is a monster. Much, much faster and more capable than I’ll ever be. I keep thinking about changing it, but every time I ride it I realise that there’s no point.

Buy the best brakes you can afford. The speeds the alpine encourages and feels at home with need big stoppers.

Wheels: Hope hubs with Flows and big meaty tyres: 2.4 Baron Projekts or Trail kings and High Rollers have been very good on it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Alpine owner here. 160mm Pikes and Hope hubs/Stans Flow rims. Not particularly flashy but get the job done and done really well.

If you’re looking at 36s which seem to be stupid expensive now, have you considered BOS Devilles? Had a set on my old Five and they were brilliant.

jsdvtr
    Free Member

Think lyriks are the best option. I do really like the fox forks but they are a heck of alot of money!

jsdvtr
    Free Member

Just a update i ended up going for the lyriks. Brakes and wheels then its time to build it up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Forks and wheelset for alpine 160’ is closed to new replies.