Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Forkin' crashes
  • paul4stones

I've been playing on bikes with my son and 13yr old nephew today and I've crashed 4 times, once in a big way which destroyed my helmet! Why, oh why?

Well, firstly I was riding a bike with 130mm forks, something I've just recently got having spent most of my biking on rigid bikes, latterly 29ers. Secondly I didn't have SPDs on today – a bad workman and all that I know but on one occasion my foot slipped off just before a jump, so I crashed.

Drop offs are fine, it's jumps and table tops that got me today. I know I have to get the weight back but I was finding the fork was just soaking the bump up, pitching me forwards then I would land on the front and over the bars as the fork compressed completely. It was much better with it locked out but I'm sure it's my technique.

Any advice?

rolfharris
    Free Member

You need to adjust your riding style- you may well be an excellent rider with rigid forks, but you will need to alter how you move before a jump with a sus fork. You have to pump the fork into the compression at the start of the jump before using the rebound on the fork to "pop" out of the jump- hard to explain in words.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Learn how to jump, maybe get some decent shoes and flat pedals and slow the rebound on the forks down a touch

rolfharris
    Free Member

jonb
    Free Member

I have a similar issue going from hardtail to FS.

I'm used to an instant bunny hop and now have to allow for the suspension compression and rebound which was unnerving the first time as i nearly hit a log.

It's also wierd doing drops as I used to kick forwards and manual to keep the front up. Do that now and the back end soaks it up. Lead to a few nose dives and the bizarre situation that i feel more comfortable doing drops on a hardtail compared to full suss.

paul4stones

Thanks. Sounds like I need to learn some new tricks. I feel a bit like an old dog at the moment – off to lick my wounds.

paul4stones

Well the pain has subsided and I found this thread and I've watched some youtube.

So, which flat pedals and shoes do you recommend davidtaylforth?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Forkin' crashes’ is closed to new replies.