Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fork upgrade – 27.5 on a 26 bike
  • Garry_Lager

Looking at a new fork for my jekyll, a 26 bike. Worth considering a 27.5 fork if the price was right do ye reckon? Might give a few more options, would enhance second-hand value etc.
    Raising the front end half an inch or so might be significant, but seems like it could be accommodated by changing other things (if need be, may even be a good thing – the bike has quite a low bb in 160mm mode).

Anyone running this set-up? Wondering if there is some critical parameter I’m missing that would make it really bad.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

26 inch Mattocs have the same lowers as the 27.5 version, just a different crown/offset. You can then move to 27.5 inch wheels later with the same fork by adjusting the internals and have a fork thats more stable on the downs due to the lower offset than the 27.5 version.

Supposedly. If you went the other way round, a 27.5 inch fork with a 26 in wheel – then you might end up with twitchier steering due to the increased offset.

Also the travel is internally adjustable, which is good – the only fork that does it at the price point you can the mattoc from Germany is the 350cr which has more basic internals. You’d be getting a fork with high speed and low speed compression adjust, dual flow rebound circuits, hydraulic bottom out adjustment.

The ones to buy are the expert and the pro – the expert is 100g heavier as I think it uses the internal wall of stanchions to pressurize the oil whilst the pro has a cartridge design. Although bother get all the same external adjustments I’m not entirely sure if the damping differs in any other respects.

br
    Free Member

I reckon a Pike 65B would be fine on a 26″, as there is very little tyre clearance as it is.

It’s what I’m looking at doing, so if/when I move to 650B I’ve a good fork.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also from what I’ve read a recurring theme seems to be –

The Mattoc is less spikey over rough terrain, the rebound damping is great and the travel is internally adjustable.

The Pike is a little more spikey but offers a bit more midstroke resistance to brake dive, perhaps a bit stiffer, no external high speed compression adjust and no external bottom out adjustment.

Mattoc is cheaper as well, however the reliability seems to be relatively unproven.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I run 27.5″ talas on my 26″ wheeled chameleon. Partly because if I want to change the frame later it looks like I’ll be forced to buy 27.5 but mainly because the price was right.
    I use a hans dampf and there is no issues at all.

Tracey

Abigales Slants on her Enduro work fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade – 27.5 on a 26 bike’ is closed to new replies.