Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fork setting, Revelations
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

That ever present fettling urge is back. I mainly ride singletrack but go for the odd bit of descending/jumping now and then. I’m 64kg ish and have my pressure around 105psi+ and I think 100psi-. I want more squidginess, without the fear of something happening in the event of a huck. I was thinking of reducing the positive and increasing the negative air to give more sag and more more small bump response but don’t want to bottom out on my landings

It works fine, but I can’t help but feel there is more I can tweak out of the settings.

Pointless discussion, or the whole point of having a very adjustable fork?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

Ive got rev dual airs on a 456 so gets ridden in all sorts of manners, I weigh about 65kg (in gym kit which is the only place I weigh myself so ignoring 2ltrs of water and tools in a camelbak) and I run about 85psi in both springs. I dont blow through my 140mm, do you get any travel out of your forks?!

Youre unlikely to bottom out as air springs are usually rising rate towards the end of their stroke, and yes running higher negative pressures increases small bump sensitivity (MC has 5 to 10 psi more in the negative chamber in her Rebas).

HermanShake
    Free Member

Mine are firm on the rooty climbs, track nicely when there’s some momentum and a clumsy landing will suck through 70% and then recover. When I say clumsy I mean too nosed and unbalanced.

Maybe I should have more faith in the fork, but I like uphill too so want it fairly firm without the need for lockout.

Any other’s experiences? I know it’s trial and error but the anecdotes help contextualise the adjustments.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d give it a go – I had my old Pike Air U-Turns Pushed by TFT and their setting suggestion was to run 120+ and 130- – obviously the fork was non standard, but it worked brilliantly on those settings. So why not up the negative pressure and see what happens? You might find the fork sucks down into its travel slightly, but hey, how long does it take to change negative air pressure.

There’s a whole Revelations setting thread over on mtbr.com which is notable for the massive variation in air pressures that people use…

pinch_flat
    Free Member

I found that my forks didn’t have the small bump sensitivity I was looking for, so I spoke to TFTuned and they recommended running 10 PSI more in the negative than in the positive chamber and run the positive at 125PSI, I weigh about 85Kg and was a little skeptical that the pressure would be enough but the forks now run so well and I’d say actually use slightly less travel when I’m landing big jumps nose heavy

HermanShake
    Free Member

Thanks people, a day in the woods with the pump is inevitable but it’s good to hear what other riders do to set up their forks.

I’ve gone for 80-, 90+ to give more cush, but keep the bob out (maybe) and will tweak and add from there. They seem more lively than my 100-, 105+ ratio but only riding will tell.

I tried 100-, 85+ and they seemed less responsive than the 100/105. Reading about progressive vs linear makes me think I can run softer and still have some jump absorbency in reserve.

Just to clear it up, what happens when you bottom out? I imagine some kind of damage occurs internally, or does the force just transfer through the bars?

Cougar

I’m far from an expert, but isn’t there generally some form of ‘bottom-out’ protection? A big short spring or some such? I was under the impression that it wasn’t a big deal anyway.

BadlyWiredDog

Isn’t there a rubber bottom-out bumper both side in the fork lower legs which would take the edge off the initial bottom out?

HermanShake
    Free Member

That figures. I wasn’t sure about how brutally you can treat an all-mountain fork 😆

billyboy
    Free Member

A Fisher Outdoor techy told me that you should not run more than 10psi difference between the + and the -.

I’m thinking…. that isn’t “infinitely adjustable”!

dseenya
    Free Member

I’m about 85kg and running 110+ and 100-. Maybe they haven’t bedded in yet but it’s a lot lower than the recommended pressure. I’ve hit full travel a couple of times but for now that setting seems fine.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Weather permitting tomorrow it’s 80 psi+/- and singletrack, maybe a jump or two. Then more air from there. This has now cascaded into the rear shock being tinkered with. Fox Float R (I know, “floater”) at 100psi for a generous 30% sag, I think it was 110 before. I’m on a Meta 55 so have faith in the back end, it just seems to get on with it without me noticing.

Do any riders have a winter setting and a summer? Would it correspond to run softer in the mud for traction and harder in the dry for speed?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fork setting, Revelations’ is closed to new replies.