Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fork servicing, Mojo or 'av a go?
  • relboy
    Free Member

Fox float 32 rl about 3 years old never touched them. Got gradually used to the deteriorating performance. I think its time to do something about it.

Should I:

a) Service the lowers with new seals and oil only.

b) Try and service the whole shebang including the mysterious damping cartridge.

c) Pack it up and send to mojo.

Will "a" actually make much difference? The fork still gets full travel and holds its pressure, stantions look fine.

Any experiences/advice welcome.

lalazar
    Free Member

Fox do have quite good instructions on their website.

Onzadog
    Free Member

realworldcycling has a great step by step guide. Do it at home, don't bother with the damper unit other than flush fresh oil through it. If it all goes wrong, then send them off to the service centre of your choice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mah05
    Free Member

if they aint been touched for 3 years mojo will say you need new stantions. they did with me after half that time of not touching them. i think it ended up about £200

stumpyjon

Have a go yourself. Spares can be tricky to get hold of (service kits etc.) but try TFtuned, they list quite a few bits on their website and encourage you to ring if you can't see what you need.

I'm going to fully service my REBAs as soon as the motion control service kit I've ordered arrives, not sure about my TALAS 32s, they definitely need looking at, wondering about sending them off to TFtuned rather than playing myself. £ 10 cheaper than MOJO and I have to admit the professionalism of website scores higher with me over MOJO.

cp

if yoou've got all the right tools (mainly just sockets actually), then it's a fairly easy job to do. took me 3-4 hours to remove, strip and rebuild my TALAS, so I guess your floats will be a little as you don't have the minor faff of the talas assy. There are loads of videos and detailed step by step instructions on the fox website:-

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

you'll need a dust wiper seal kit from mojo before you start, and the appropriate weight fork oil. a syringe helps A LOT for putting oil back in the fork. it's easy to do. if you find the stanchions are scored you're best of replacing the crown steerer assy, which will be about 120 quid for you 32's.

cp

professionalism of website scores higher with me over MOJO.

maybe tftuned are better at servicing forks than making fancy websites?

i've used tft in the past – they are very very good.

[edit] – just re-read your post – ignore me!!!!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

both are good. never had a problem with either service centre. personally, I use the enduro seals (BETD or CRC) but I know someone will be along soon to slag them off. They've worked for me and the seperate oil and dust seal keeps things clean inside.

garethh
    Free Member

I've only ever heard positive comments about tft and very very negative ones about mojo. Personal experience of mojo has left me fuming, I would not recommend them in any way.

I service my TALAS 32 and missus' fox's every 3-4 months- oil change sometimes and seal clean etc depending on usage, haven't yet touched the cartridges though think I might try that next. Oil and seal change is dead easy once you've done it once, it takes me about 15-20 mins now.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

tft – nice people get my business

stumpyjon

I just got a good vibe from the TFT site today. I very nearly ended up sending my forks to MOJO earlier in the year but their website was so vague about what you needed to do, just chuck them in the post and pray, I didn't bother. The TFT site was really clear and I really like the idea of them arranging a courier each way. Really didn't fancy sticking £ 600 forks in the post. I can't comment on their actual service credentials but the site has made me seriously consider sending them my TALAS forks in the autumn. I like the fact they will sell you spares and seal kits as well.

cp, no worries, quite nice that there is someone out there with a good website and gets good feedback from users, makes me feel even more warm and fuzzy about letting them loose on my forks.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

TFT – I went to the unit to see them – they were pleasant, informative and pragmatic about my Fox forks and shock.

The Mojo guy seems to have a bit of 'tude from what I've read.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Tft very helpfull and the push stuff is great . But non talas forks are very simple to do at home , just have a go

psychle
    Free Member

Though TBH I haven't tried Mojo, I'd certainly recommend TF, they're always happy to chat on the phone and their work is first rate as well (from my experience). Their workshop is near my works head office, so that's a bonus for me as well 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I'm a few minutes down the road from Mojo and have never had a problem dealing in person, sorted me out a really good deal converting a DHX 3 to a DHX 5, service and custom shim stack.

Although one of my LBS always slates them for their lack of knowledge/spouting bs.

the_lecht_rocks

STENDEC if you're sending them away perhaps ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fork servicing, Mojo or 'av a go?’ is closed to new replies.