Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fork Servicing (as warranty has been refused)
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

My Pikes have a habit of leaking oil and also winding down as I ride (i.e they lose travel).

Sent them off for a warranty to try get them fixed but Fishers would not touch them due to them being a bit too used, there is a slight mark on the stanchion due to grit and bushing rub. They wanted me to but full new upper section, steerer, crown and stanchions for £280 then pay them another £80 for a full service. Stanchion is a much less severe version of this: stanchion wear

Who is best to send them off to, to amend the worn stanchion and silly travel problem, and also the oil leak, TFtuned?

Cheers chaps

trail_rat
    Free Member

you are aware that TF tuned will charge the same if not more … you need new stanchions, crown and steerer as they are made as one piece and stanchion is non replacable !

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Not much point unless you're going to have new uppers, they'll always leak oil as it just escapes through the damage in the stantion every time it passes through the seal.
    Cheapest option would be to buy a good second hand pair of forks.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Sorry, but that's how much a new set of uppers cost. Whether or not Fishers are right in charging this is immaterial, if you'd serviced the lowers according to the manual's recommendations then this wouldn't be an issue.

My Pikes haven't had a service in two years, however I've looked after the lowers hence the lack of stanction damage.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I'll check out 2nd hand stuff and even normal sale stuff, just thought I might be able to stop the stanchion wearing any further and still get some use. As I said the link above is a severe version, mine are nowhere near as bad as that.

Jamie
    Free Member

There were some Pike 454 2010 Coils going on the classifieds the other day for £320. Your best bet is to chuck the forks in a cupboard and get some new, to you, ones.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Why not just phone TF and find out the price?

br
    Free Member

Buy a new set, and ebay your old ones.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Firstly accept that the forks are never going to be 'as new'.
    Make sure there are no rough edges on the stanchion damage/wear.
    Buy some new seals from Enduro Fork Seals.
    Check that the bushings are free from obvious contaminants.
    Re-build the forks using the new seals and the specified oils, although you may want to use a heavier, clingier oil in the lowers for lube purposes. 20wt should be fine.

As for the wind down, assuming they're coil, check the plastic thread on the uturn mechanism, and check the state of the ball-bearings and springs under the adjustor.

If they're air, you need to do an airtube service.

Keep an eye on the damage…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Mine did the same thing; you could do what I did.

Chuck them away. Buy new forks.

Easy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How old is the fork?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My Pikes have a habit of leaking oil and also winding down as I ride (i.e they lose travel).

Sounds like an air fork. Am I right?

Ignore the wear or treat it yourself (Plenty of advice on how to do that on here) then service them yourself, new air seals especially. £30-£40 will have them working pretty well, if not 'as good as new' TBH.

qwerty
    Free Member

technically Pikes require a lower leg service every 10hrs of use 😯

for £15 i brought a lower leg service kit from TF (seal grease and oil)

❓ i'm looking to do a full service soon – where best can i obtain all the bits (seals/o rings etc) from ❓

enfht
    Free Member

Your new uppers will be cheaper if you fit them yourself, why not ring Mojo for a price

And fit new (fox) seals, I've been told by someone in the know to avoid endura as theyre too rigid and create their own problems

Bottom line though, regular quick-service is cricual and stand bike upside down for 10 mins before each ride to re-lube the foam rings otherwise you'll do the same damage again to the new forks

ScottChegg
    Free Member

enfht – not Fox; Pikeys. See OP.

enfht
    Free Member

doh 😳

mieszko
    Free Member

Bungalistic my mate might be interested in the fork if You would be selling it to make some space for a new one (if the price is right :-)). My email is in my profile if You would like to contact me. Cheers.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Pikes are the coil version and wind down when they take the bigger hits. If I have them wound out to 140mm and say do somethign like the omega man at Ae and hit the jumps and drops they will have woulnd down to around 110mm/120mm after that run, simple turn of adjuster puts them back up again but it's still annoying.

The wear really isn't all that bad so I might just try getting new seals and foam rings. I'll try get a quick picture later to show the wear as I have had them apart to check for any further damage (there is none).

May consider selling (as I do have another fork to use, the ever reliable zocchi 55's :P)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fork Servicing (as warranty has been refused)’ is closed to new replies.