Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Fork options…I need more stuffness than my Fox 32 (150mm)
  • YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have a Blur TRC that I have boosted the travel on slightly. I now have ~140mm rear travel instead of 125mm. I’m running a CCDB Air CS with a few additional Mm stroke (same e2e). I rode it this weekend and it’s turned the bike into an absolute beast- probably more due to the shock (over the old RP23 it had).

The build is geared towards general ‘Enduro’ riding with 1/10 gearing and a dropper. I’m using a Fox 32 RLC FIT (with a custom tune) at 150mm. The current weight is a smidge over 25lbs.

Overall the ride is excellent, I am very pleased with the set up and the weight of the bike- it’s perfect….or so I thought.

Yesterday I was riding some downhill trails for a change (I also had the DH bike with me but fancied a run or two on the short travel rig). I often do similar riding as part of a longer ride.

One thing that was REALLY noticeable yesterday was the flex of my 32’s. The improved handling of the rear end really made me aware of how flexy and unpredictable the forks are under heavy braking and loose rocky/rooty chopped up sections.

So, I think I would like to run a slightly beefier fork- maybe Fox 34’s or a Rockshox Pike. I really don’t want to add more weight but I think it would be worth it for the extra control.

My current fork is around 1700g I think.

Do you think it’s worth upping the fork to something a tad heavier? Also any suggestions for a light
    Ish 150mm travel fork?

Cheers!

poah
    Free Member

pike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

34’s either new or pick up the originals cheap and drop an avalanche in them. Or pikes are lighter

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Cheers fellers- I want to stay as light as poss. I think the Pike is where want to go.

honourablegeorge

Alltricks (I thin0) had 26″ Pikes very cheap indeed recently…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I can’t help but think that the bike you should really have is something like a Pivot 5.7!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Wot mikewsmith said.

The 34 with the crappy CTD pulled out and an avvy cart in is a great combo.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

No need to change the bike- it quite simply is awesome now. The little extra squish has made the exact bike I wanted. Just need the forks to keep up with how much harder I can ride it now.

Cheers!

gg14
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position, I want to change the fox 32 ctd on my trance advanced but I’m not entirely sure what to go for. fox 34-36, pike..anything else to consider?

They’re eye wateringly expensive new so used is also worth looking at IMO.

Northwind

TBF everything is stiffer than a 150mm 32, they’re literally a stretched XC fork, even a Rev is a decent step up (the original 34 was really designed as a Rev competitor I reckon)

Still not the biggest Pike fan tbh but they’re common, they’re generally good value, there’s no terrible variants, and they work. Safe plentiful option

carlphillips
    Free Member

jay your welcome to try my sweeps, with the roughcut damper..I love them and around the same weight as a pike give or take 50g

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

what to go for. fox 34-36, pike..anything else to consider?

They’re eye wateringly expensive new so used is also worth looking at IMO.

RockShox Yari is a fair bit cheaper than 34s or Pikes . Same chassis as the new Lyrics and plenty of travel options .

wrightyson
    Free Member

My 2016 150 pikes are just awesomz

richardkennerley

I’ll be selling my X fusion slants in the next couple of weeks, 130-160mm 😉

guido

I just put some 26″ Pikes on eBay for a good price…

austy
    Free Member

Chain reaction have x fusion slants at £250 at the mo.

legend
    Free Member

Guido,, how old are they?

legend
    Free Member

RockShox Yari is a fair bit cheaper than 34s or Pikes . Same chassis as the new Lyrics and plenty of travel options

Back to Motion Control though, which doesn’t stack up against the other options being mentioned (bar maybe the X-Fusion Slants)

guido

Legend, They’re the 2015 version.

trailhound
    Free Member

I’m also in a similar situation, am planning a new build for later in the year but in the meantime was looking to Ditch my 150 32 fit (9mm qr) for something a bit beefier. Biggest restriction is the 11/8″ steerer on my 575, can you get new pikes or 34’s with straight steerers?

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

LIBERTY: they sound great but I ideally need to sell mine first- they are also verging on a bit much for me- there’s lots of sales around at the mo.

TRAILHOUND- 1 1/8″ limits you big time. I don’t think anyone makes many 1 1/8″ forks now

legend
    Free Member

Yeah 1 1/8″ will to tricky. Plenty of straight steerer 36s pop up 2nd hand though

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Just check for the service history on an older 36 though mate. I’ve had many sets and if not serviced religiously the uppers wear fast.

Cheers

Northwind

There’s still a lot of coil lyriks around, they’re pretty hard to kill tbh. Heavy as hell but absolutely superb, best fork ever imo- I think the reason I’ve never been happy with the Pikes is just that I had Lyriks before and while they were like 33% heavier, they’re better in every other way. If I could get a 29er coil Lyrik, with the MiCO, that’s what I’d have

There’s also new straight steerer revs and sektors out there still and lots of used. Neither of those is a stiff fork really but with a maxle, especially the 20mm, either one is a lot stiffer than a QR 32. For me, stiff enough, where the Fox wasn’t. (but I should say, I’m pretty unfussed about stiffness, I just want “stiff enough”- lots of folks would consider the Revs too bendy)

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

I’ve gone with the Pikes mentioned above. Only 100g heavier and I am sure noticeably less flexy.

Cheers!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Fork options…I need more stuffness than my Fox 32 (150mm)’ is closed to new replies.