Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fork lockout musings/bodging – cable pull/thumbies/gripshift
  • clubber
    Free Member

Pretty much just because I enjoy playing around with bikes, I’m toying with ideas about fork lockouts. I was thinking that a low profile gripshift might actually be a very neat way to do it. Or otherwise a small thumbie. Anyone know what the cable pull for an RS poploc is?

Also, suggestions on a low profile gripshift? I seem to recall that the older (eg original Xray type) gripshifts were smaller than the current models

(as an aside, while googling I found people have been using poploc remotes as front shifters for doubles – interesting idea…)

clubber
    Free Member

No fellow bodgers about today?

Speshpaul

the old pace lock outs for the hollowforms were nice

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah though they were very short cable pull as I recall.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the Poploc?

clubber
    Free Member

Poploc’s ok but I quite like the idea of a gripshift…

oh and I might want two on a bike (fork and shock)

Raymond

I’ve tried a thumbshifter, works quite nicely and gives remote variable compression adjustment. It does stick out quite a bit from the bar though so would be vulnerable in a crash.
    A grip shift would be nice and low profile but you’d need a lot of bar space to fit everything in.

clubber
    Free Member

That was kind of my thought – at present, poploc is on or off. With a gripshift, you could, depending on the cable pull, tune the compression damping.

Anyone know the cable pull of a poploc then?

Bar space could clearly be an issue though I’m sure that older GSs were shorter than the current ones.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why don’t you just use an an adjustable compression pop loc?

daznal
    Free Member

if you could find an old raleigh chopper gearchange that would look propper niche on the top tube

Ladders
    Free Member

That was kind of my thought – at present, poploc is on or off. With a gripshift, you could, depending on the cable pull, tune the compression damping.

Is that how they work though? Aren’t they either ON or OFF? Are all shocks and forks progressive like that?

njee20
    Free Member

as an aside, while googling I found people have been using poploc remotes as front shifters for doubles – interesting idea…

Doesn’t work very well, not strong enough.

porter_jamie

Yes you can use a thumb shifter instead of the rockshox remote. You get kinda adustable compression. Mate did exactly this with some rebas.

clubber
    Free Member

Is that how they work though? Aren’t they either ON or OFF? Are all shocks and forks progressive like that?

Yeah, it works exactly the same – the remote version of the damper is basically just the same as the non-remote version but with a spring.

adjustable compression poplocs still only have two settings but you can adjust how much compression it has while in the unlocked position.

evanssuspension
    Free Member

I love bonkers idea’s like this!
    Give me call at the Evans Suspension Centre tomorrow and i’ll tell you much cable pull a pop-loc has 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

it’s OK I’m home and have one here to measure 🙂

so, a poploc remote pulls approx 20mm of cable.

a front shifter conveniently also pulls a near identical amount.

so, in theory a front shifter with trimming (eg not just 3 positions) would allow fine tuning on the fly.

clubber
    Free Member

boink

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fork lockout musings/bodging – cable pull/thumbies/gripshift’ is closed to new replies.