• This topic has 53 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Fork lenth question…
  • Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 Yeti 575 frame & they come with 150mm forks as standard when bought built. As the 150mm forks are expensive & like rocking horse sh1t to get hold of secondhand, would it be that much of a difference with 140mm instead of the 150’s?

Any help would be good….

flow
    Free Member

Roughly half a degree head angle difference if they are the same make

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup…i.e. **** all – unless you are a riding god, which many on here are! 😛

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

ok, I’d have 80mm & still feel the same then. 😯

flow
    Free Member

Yup…i.e. **** all – unless you are a riding god, which many on here are!

I don’t know about you but I can feel the difference and I’m no riding god. That makes you no good and me average.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I’m Awesome!! ha

soobalias
    Free Member

10mm static difference is more like 7mm when sagged, so less than half a degree steeper head angle – as above, many claim they can tell!

but there could be more to it, whats the relative axle-to-crown of each fork?

flow
    Free Member

10mm static difference is more like 7mm when sagged, so less than half a degree steeper head angle

Except his old forks sagged too, making it all relative. And the rear end sags keeping the angles the same. So no matter what, adding a longer fork will slacken the head angle.

as above, many claim they can tell!

I can. I had 36’s set to 140mm on my Five, then a Five with 140mm 32’s. There was still a 10mm difference between the two forks at the same travel, and it was very noticeable.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

The reason I was asking is that I don’t have any forks for the frame (only 120mm Reba Teams, which are for sale 😉 ) & was wondering if 140mm Revs would work ok instead of spending the extra on 150mm Revs but I now think I’m just going to bite the built & buy some new 150mm RS Revelation RLT Ti Dual air maxle lite.

Any thoughts on these forks? Any good?

soobalias
    Free Member

make your mind up flow, either the rear end sags keeping the angles the same, or it was very noticable – cant have your cake and eat it… or maybe you* can….

Whos – get the cheaper 140revs, as no mortal* will notice the ride difference.

flow
    Free Member

make your mind up flow, either the rear end sags keeping the angles the same, or it was very noticable – cant have your cake and eat it… or maybe you* can….

No matter what forks you have the rear end sags.

If you fit longer forks it will make it slacker.

Which part of those two statements confuses you?

Whos – get the cheaper 140revs, as no mortal* will notice the ride difference.

I’m a mere mortal, you just don’t have a clue.

cynic-al
    Free Member

flow – Member
    I can. I had 36’s set to 140mm on my Five, then a Five with 140mm 32’s

2 different forks and possibly 2 different bikes? Loads of other variables then 🙄

flow – Member
    Except his old forks sagged too*, making it all relative**. And the rear end sags keeping the angles the same***. So no matter what, adding a longer fork will slacken the head angle****.

* correct
    ** what do you mean?
    *** this is wrong
    **** yes – and contradicting ***

FWIW soobalias is right, you might be, but what you’re saying doesn’t make sense.

flow
    Free Member

2 different bikes and possibly 2 different forks? Loads of other variables then

No, a 2011 five with 36’s set to 140mm, and a 2012 Five with 140mm 32’s both in the house at the same time. Like I said the A2C was 10mm different and it was very noticeable.

No other variables other than the forks, and your inability to read what I wrote.

*** The only thing you are changing is the forks, the rear sag settings are the same, your head angle will slacken.

The lack of intelligence never fails to amaze me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

flow – Member
    No, a 2011 five with 36’s set to 140mm, and a 2012 Five with 32’s both in the house at the same time. Like I said the A2C was 10mm different and it was very noticeable.

so, like I said:

2 different forks? Loads of other variables then

You did of course measure sag, damping etc to ensure there were no other variables when riding?

If all you can do now is to slag me off, go crazy…your posts above still make no sense….and it usually shows a poster is just trying to defend the indefensible.

🙄

flow
    Free Member

So, would you care to tell me how I am to compare two of the same bike with a different fork length, without actually changing the forks?

2 different forks and possibly 2 different bikes? Loads of other variables then

Loads of other variables, really?

soobalias
    Free Member

so you are all in agreement then, the sagged (25% XC) height of the new 140mm forks will be only 7mm less than the sagged (25% XC) original 150mm fork, all other things being equal thats less than 0.5deg steeper head angle.

you could put a slightly taller tyre on the front to counteract this change, blah blah blah

much more importantly

new 150mm RS Revelation RLT Ti Dual air maxle lite.

of course new shiney bits is the best way to deal with this

😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

flow – Member
    So, would you care to tell me how I am to compare two of the same bike with a different fork length, without actually changing the forks?

A fork with wind-down/u-turn/talas – simples.

Loads of other variables, really?

Of course, the fact that you are asking shows how little you know about the effects of damping etc on ride – not least on the same fork model let alone 2 different ones.

soobalias – aktewaerly 0.35 deg but I’ll let you off 😉

flow
    Free Member

Of course, the fact that you are asking shows how little you know about the effects of damping etc on ride – not least on the same fork model let alone 2 different ones.

I’ve forgotten more than you know about bikes mate.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well, your riposte proves that emphatically 🙄

What was it I said earlier…”defending the indefensible”?

You had your dinner yet?

cynic-al
    Free Member

flow – Member
    I’ve forgotten more than you know about bikes mate.

Actually, on reflection, this appears to be quite correct 😎

flow
    Free Member

Yep, clearly does.

You are telling me I am wrong for being able to tell the difference in a 0.5 degree HT angle, longer wheelbase, and higher B/bracket.

Obviously you have a lot to learn 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

No, I am telling you there are numerous other factors which you have still not accounted for that affect how the fork sits when riding and “feel”: e.g. pressure/spring rate and corresponding sag, damping (and I’ve not even mentioned subjectivity & un-blindness of any comparison). Not to mention that you compared 2 different forks.

Longer wheelbase? – 0.5 deg on 40″ wheelbase would make it 4mm longer – that’s 0.4%
    Higher BB? – 2.5mm higher – that’s 0.7% higher

If you need a hand with the maths just ask.

I’d say the only way to make a meaningful comparison would be a blind test on the same fork, wound down.

flow
    Free Member

I am telling you there are numerous other factors which you have still not accounted for

Really? Here when I set them up were you?

You get more comical every post Al, you should do stand up 😆

Longer wheelbase? – 0.5 deg on 40″ wheelbase would make it 4mm longer – that’s 0.4%
    Higher BB? – 2.5mm higher – that’s 0.7% higher

On their own they sound insignificant, together they make a lot of difference.

cynic-al
    Free Member

flow – Member
    Really? Here when I set them up were you?

Of course I wasn’t, but you’ve not posted a single word to even suggest that you considered their effect.

*waits for next empty riposte*

flow
    Free Member

Of course I wasn’t, but you’ve not posted a single word to even suggest that you considered their effect.

Exactly Al, you weren’t there were you.

Still you go on thinking you know what you’re on about, and jumping to conclusions as usual.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    *waits for next empty riposte*

flow – Member
    Still you go on thinking you know what you’re on about, and jumping to conclusions as usual.

If you could establish that you’d considered and accounted for all the factors, and made your comparison (relatively) meaningful, you would have done so, no?

But you haven’t, you’ve not even stated that you’d considered them, though by implication you accept they are relevant…so it’s you that is jumping to conclusions, not me.

flow
    Free Member

If you could establish that you’d considered and accounted for all the factors, and made your comparison (relatively) meaningful, you would have done so, no?

But you haven’t, you’ve not even stated that you’d considered them, though by implication you accept they are relevant…so it’s you that is jumping to conclusions, not me.

Ahhh so I’m the one jumping to conclusions! Thats where we went wrong 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

So what did you to do to ensure it was a reelvant comparison?

Any other posts are meaningless guff.

takisawa2

Cant you just run the back a tad softer ?

jameso

10mm is noticeable.. not a massive diff but it’s there.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Cheers all, I love the bickering.

I think I’m going to go for a new pair of 150mm RS Revelation Ti with 20mm maxle lite.

BruceWee

Wouldn’t you be better comparing axle to crown lengths rather than travel, especially if you’re changing from one brand to another?

flow
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be better comparing axle to crown lengths rather than travel, especially if you’re changing from one brand to another?

Yep

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I think I’m going to go for a new pair of 150mm RS Revelation Ti with 20mm maxle lite.

I got some last week to upgrade my Pikes and they are excellent forks.

However Fishers aren’t importing the 20mm version for 2012, only 15mm, so if you can’t live with 15mm, you’ll have to hunt for a 2011 fork in stock with 20mm (be quick, not many, if any, left) or pick one up second hand.

fivespot
    Free Member

When I got my 150 Rev Teams, I’m sure the “quoted” axle to crown difference was only 4mm compared to the old 140’s. Now you somebody with have to do all maths over again 😕

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member
    squiff
    Free Member

Sos

Have ordered from them before?

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

No, some on here have tho & have been happy..worth a try for £412..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/140mm-coil-forks-20mm-bolt-thru#post-3180102

flow
    Free Member

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/Rockshox+Suspension+Forks/2012+Revelation+RCT3+-+Dual+Air+-+150mm+-+15mm+Maxle+-+White_RS605002.htm

If I was you I would cancel that order and get these, they are about 4 models higher up the range, 2012 versions, and with the new damping system.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Yeh, i seen them but I can’t do 15mm only 20mm, bloody shimano hubs!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Fork lenth question…’ is closed to new replies.