Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 140mm coil forks (20mm bolt thru)
  • Taz

Was looking at my options here and they seem to be rather limited

RS Sektor (though those are actually 150mm in the 20mm option). Those with a firm spring are going to work out in the £400 – 450 ish range depending if I can get any deals. Happy to spend more than that for the ‘right’ fork. Could also opt for 15mm bolt thru as can easily adapt the wheels if required

Riding is a total mix of stuff generally in and around Bristol.

What else is out there that are worth a look?

Perfomance / Reliability more important than weight or cost (within reason)

How do people rate Marzocchi nowadays? Know they had a rough spell a year or 2 back

PJM1974
    Free Member

There are still some Pikes to be had if you shop around. As an owner of 3 sets of Pikes (and one set of Revelations!) I feel that I know these pretty well.

They’re noticably stiffer than Revs (and therefore Sektors) and they’re absolutely reliable. The only weak spot is the compression assembly seal which occasionally leaks – as on all RS 32mm forks, but is relatively easy to put right.

As for Marzocchi, I haven’t tried any of them to a great extent but a lot of forum members swear by the 2010/11 models as they have an excellent warranty and apparently the factory gremlins have been evicted.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have some U-turn 95-140mm 327 Recons with a 20mm Maxle. Some people might find them heavy but the suspension action is most excellent – the forks just go up-and-down instead of twanging backwards and forwards – and in terms of steering stiffness it feels as though the axle is attached to your handlebar grips.

Very tough no probs despite frequent intense neglect.

Taz

Thanks PJM – will do a pikes search

Did not know they may still be about. Was very happy with my air Pikes

Taz

Anyone using a recent Marzocchi 140mm fork that can comment on experience?

Superficial
    Free Member

I love my Pikes. Stiff, plush as anything and plenty of adjustment. They’re pretty heavy compared to your other standard ‘trail’ forks though (especially the coil versions).

ferrit
    Free Member

Running 2 sets of Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti. One set is 140mm (2010) and other is 150mm (2011).

Both faultless, fit and forget. Mega-plush, mega adjustable and way lighter than the Pikes they replaced.

Oh and 3-year no-service warranty. In your face, Fox!

Do it!

ferrit
    Free Member

Oops – just re-read the title – 44s are 15mm.

Taz

Take it you like them Ferrit 🙂

Will see what options are out there for the 44’s as well. Wish they were 20mm as I like to swap wheels around (2 other bikes – both 20mm -so that is the only obvious downside

nixie

Hub Cycleworks in Southampton has a set of pikes, not sure what model though.

bigthunder
    Free Member

+1 for pikes. Great forks.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I read your title and was about to run in screaming and shouting about the 44 rc3 ti’s but then noticed the brackets so i’ll only come in here with a big grin to whisper 44 rc3 ti.
    God I love mine.

What front wheel do you have?

Taz

I have 2 hope front hubs that I know can be converted to 15mm.

Think I will look at those Marz 44’s and the options they have. May well covert one of the hubs and go for it.

Great performanc & reliability at a good weight and reasonable cost (if any forks can be described as reasonable cost 🙁 ) seems like a winning combo.

ads678

I’m sure CRC had some pikes the other day when i was looking.

Northwind

Pikes are noticably stiffer than Sektors, but does it matter? It’s something I’m aware of for a short time when I swap from my Lyriks to my Revelations (same chassis as the Sektor) but it doesn’t make any actual difference on the trail- the Rev/Sektor is still stiff enough.

As far as reliability goes, Pikes and motion control Sektors aren’t that different inside, except that I think (check this!) that the Sektors have the dualflow rebound cartridge, which is a significant upgrade

snotrag

As above – Sektors are waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than £400+!

I got mine from Germany in the past few weeks – quick delivery, tracking number, etc etc, very pleased. Think it came to £248 delivered in the end?

2011 Sektor RL Coil. I specifically wanted Coil, Bolt thru, and minimal faff.

I am VERY pleased – they are fantastically sensitive in the way that an air sprung revelation or fox 32 can only dream of.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Anyone using a recent Marzocchi 140mm fork that can comment on experience?

Marzocchi 55RV. Very cheap off Evans…
    I just wanted something very basic, low service and plush in the same philosophy as the original Z1’s. 20mm QR is stiff as hell.
    Not the lightest, but neither am I!
    Happy so far.

Taz

Thanks guys. All very helpful

I did want to give the business to my BBS but > £100 price difference is hard to pass up on

Think the Sektors win it for me. Tick all the boxes and bike24 have been excellent in the past

reggiegasket
    Free Member

as said, Sektors are much cheaper – see LoCo for a good price.

Pikes are burlier but the Sektors are plush and good value.

Superficial
    Free Member

THere are some super cheap sektors on chainreaction at the moment (£200) 😉

chunkypaul
    Free Member

out of stock until next month – which from experience with CRC/Rockshox last year could be anytime 2012

amazing price though, only downside is the price of their coil springs

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘140mm coil forks (20mm bolt thru)’ is closed to new replies.