• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ade.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fork confusion – 100mm to suit Tinbred, but which one for general XC?
  • ade
    Free Member

So I’ve got this lovely tinbred that’s been built up for the last few months with superstar carbon rigid forks – a proper low and long, lightweight, flat-barred thing. I’ve been using it for the usual general riding around Surrey trails, but kept my 5″ travel Stumpy FSR for Surrey Hills or Wales trips.

It’s so light that it makes up for my lousy climbing power, but on the last couple of rides I’ve been thinking that a bit of suspension and a higher stem would really be a nice idea. I think I’m getting old.

I’m not that clued-up about forks these days though – I’ve got a 2006 Fox TALAS RLC on the Stumpy, which is great – really plush, adjustable and reliable (touch wood), so I’m naturally looking at a Float 100 RL/RLC as it’s what I know. I’ve got a budget of £200, and there are a couple on eBay that look reasonable, but I wondered if there were any other suggestions I should look at? A mate mentioned Rock Shox Revelations, but I’ve no experience of them. I have a vague hankering for a Pace fork, but I think that’s mostly nostalgia.

As it’s a pre-456 Inbred, I’ve heard they’re only suitable for 100mm travel or less, but for the type of riding I do, that’s fine – any burlier and I’ve got the other bike.

Oh, and a remote lockout might be nice? Not sure if I’d use it or not – do you?

What do you reckon I should be looking at?

wwaswas

RockShox SID or Reba would be a good choice.

the-muffin-man

SIDS or Rebas would be the obvious choice.

In run Marocchi Marathon XC 700SL’s on mine which weren’t a popular fork when released but are the best fork I’ve ever used and have given me no trouble at all.

BTW – you need a shorter stem!!!

TinMarz2.jpg

oldgit
    Free Member

Rebas are pretty much the benchmark 100mm GP XC forks, and easilly rebuildable by the likes of TF.

karnali
    Free Member

i’ve got a very good condition reba for slae came off an inbred, email in profile if you want more info or pics looking for around 150 for it

ade
    Free Member

@muffin man – 130mm pace stem! It’s lovely and old school, but yes, a little long for comfort these days.

@karnali – thanks – I think your steerer might be a touch short, but I’ll check and email for pics if not.

What are pre-DT Swiss Pace forks like? A good option?

oldgit
    Free Member

Weren’t they problematic? I don’t recall many happy owners.

Mincer

Ade, good to see the frame is going strong. I ran it with a couple of different forks, but mainly 105mm marzocchis… seemed to work OK. I still have them, but they re a bit baggy now…. I do, however, have the perfect set of Rebas to go with it if you are interested – 2010 race’s with a 185 steerer, should be long enough as I recall the headtube is pretty short. :D.

Best to steer clear of old pace’s in my experience. They are great if you get a good set, but the quality can be a bit patchy

Saccades
    Free Member

I have 3 sets of pace forks on my bikes all of which have been/are great.

RC36 PC2’s on an inbred
    RC40 on a Transmission LRS
    RC41F on a 456 EBB.

The fella a t fork english is great for servicing too.

ade
    Free Member

@saccades good to know, thanks for the info.

@mincer Yup – it’s a lovely frame! I might be interested in those Rebas. Could you drop me a pic or two, and an idea of how much you want for it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fork confusion – 100mm to suit Tinbred, but which one for general XC?’ is closed to new replies.