Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • fork advice susp vs rigid
  • rp16v
    Free Member

been riding allot of sections latley with my forks locked out, so far i can ride 90% of my local trails without to much of a problem will try a full ride locked out on my next one

just wondering would a carbon rigid fork take hits smoother than a locked out susp fork of the same length (120ish)

also would droping the front to a 100mm adjusted fork from 120mm help me on the ups abit more as i have riding position sorted as far as stem and saddle go

and theres the ovios weight trade off thats really inviting me even more.

i no this will open a can of worms but hey ho 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You don’t say what fork you currently have – and I’m no fork expert either – but I swapped my Manitou suspension forks out for a White Brother Rock SOlid carbon rigid fork. The Manitous were only 80mm and “not very good at all”. When I put the rigids on it transformed my bike. I’m unlikely to take it down any seriously rocky descents, but for looning around the local woods I now find the bike a blast to ride and don’t miss the suspension. I have a 6″ full susser for when the going gets properly rough.

stuey
    Free Member

IMHE Pace carbon rigid did ‘smooth’ the very small stuff – but they flexed fore-and-aft too much – I found this disconcerting – so went back to suspension fork.

trail_rat
    Free Member

for most folks riding rigid is fine im sure. ITs more a case of want than need.

ive recently got a bike with a pace rc31 rigid upfront and even on 26″ wheels i dont miss the suspension – its only gonna get better on propper wheels !

taken it down rocky fast trails no bother in more ways than 1 it felt better than my 2009 sids , less flex in steering and no hand ache (although could be the carnegie bar position) but im sure id go faster with my reba upfront but for the fraction of my rides that need em i dont see the need to carry them round – just another service hungry item ! – rigid , rohloff , hardtail – very little to service !

Hope skewars on the other hand – fooking garbage – even when super tight the wheel keeps cocking when i ride hard into corners and other such things and makes a hella crack along with it !

speaker2animals

I would say that it depends on where you ride the most. If you aren’t too hardcore then I think you’ll find a rigid to be fine. And remember as well as weight saved you are also saving maintenance, which at this time of year could be a big advantage too. If you tend to stay on the ground (eg only take “air” by accident or to clear a trail obstacle) then I think you’ll be good. Even rough trails are good, you will need to look for lines more but to me that adds to the fun. If most of your rides are on rocky/technical trails for a lot of the ride then maybe stick to sus, otherwise go rigid. And really with Aheadset headsets these days changing from one to the other fork isn’t a major task (as long as you can get a spare crown race so each fork is set up and ready for fitting).

speaker2animals

I’ve run two sets of Hope quick releases one on a full susser and one on a HT then rigid. Never had a problem with them myself though I do do them up pretty tight.

rp16v
    Free Member

well bike wise its a sanderson soloist with 120mm recons and all my riding is based around bristol(oktoberfest/bikefest riders will no what its like)
    i tend to be abit like a 10yo on a bmx(i gave up racing a few months ago) while out jumping off most roots,bombholes up and over rocks and logs ect
    with a rigid fork it will be nigh on as simple as it gets for maintanance.

speaker2animals

If you do a lot of jumping about you may feel safer with a rigid steel fork than a carbon. Could depend how big you are? I’m 104kg but as said I don’t really jump other than by accident/to clear obstacles (but only small ones). I don’t know the trails around Bristol but from mags etc I think you will be fine on rigid. Go for it. On-One do a steel rigid from £40. If you fancy carbon try here – http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&t=0&c=43&p=788&

speaker2animals

Sorry – they are alu forks, these have carbon legs/alu steerer.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&t=0&c=43&p=196&

rp16v
    Free Member

yeah will be getting exotics if i decide to if i dont like it i spose i can chuck them on my commuter.

as for size im 5’8 and about 10st

speaker2animals

I honestly think you will be fine on the carbons with ally steerer. I’m 104kg so about 50% heavier than you and no problem so far.

Don’t know about others and you will probably feel less effect than me but the Pace RCs are a little back front twangy on braking. Sometimes feels like the headset needs adjusting and it doesn’t. As I say though at a wimpy 10st you’ll be lucky to get much twang I would think.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Both my bikes run rigid carbon forks, no problems when riding, based on mendip and have no issues.
    Alot depends on riding style and positioning on bike.
    Mavic crossmax skewers here, no issues whatsoever, good fliplock that doesn’t loosen till required

giantjason
    Free Member

another vote for the pace rigid rc31’s. got a pair on my HT with a rohloff and practically no maintenance required. I dont miss the 100mm sidi’s i had on before ut then again it is chilterns bridleways i am on and nothing like peaks/lakes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘fork advice susp vs rigid’ is closed to new replies.