Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Forgive me for starting another wheel size thread but…
  • BruceWee

As far as I can work out the main advantage of larger wheels is that it effectively reduces the size of square edge of bumps. Therefore the equivalent of a 150-160mm 26″ bike would be a 120-130mm 29er and, I’m guessing, 130-140mm on a 650b. So, rolling resistance shouldn’t really change providing the wheel size is compensated for by using the correct suspension settings.

The bottom bracket height can be the same for all three so the question then becomes where your centre of gravity is relative to the height of the axles. Simply put, if you want to sit more ‘on’ the bike and let it move around under you then go for 26″, if you want to sit more ‘in’ the bike with more stability then go for a 29er, and if you want something in between go for 650b.

Does this sound about right or am I missing something?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No your not forgiven, I’m off to make a new login and post inappropriate kylie pics in this and any other wheel size post.
    👿

stevied
    Free Member

inappropriate kylie pics

No such thing….

BruceWee

I think there’s still time to add a ‘possible Kylie content to the title’.

I’m certainly not opposed 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

No,you’ve got it all wrong.It’s exactly the opposite to everything you’ve wrote up there…………….

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have absolutely no interest in all these new fangled wheel sizes. I am more than happy with my sets of 26″ wheels and have never once thought ‘this ride would have been so much better if my wheels were a little larger’.
    However, now I have seen one, I want a Turner Burner a lot! Also, the more time I spend on here the more 26″ wheeled bikes look odd. Bugger.

roverpig

Just filling in time until the Kylie pictures arrive 🙂 but it’s not just about bumping over things it’s also about not falling into hole. If suspension were infinitely fast and 100% efficient then you are right, it wouldn’t matter, but it’s not, so it does.

jezandu
    Free Member

Is it this exciting on bike radars forum?

Perhaps some kylie pictures would improve things. But then even a picture of a brick could do that…

stevied
    Free Member

Kylie and some bricks??

woody2000

She likes big wheels

honourablegeorge

BruceWee – Member

As far as I can work out the main advantage of larger wheels is that it effectively reduces the size of square edge of bumps. Therefore the equivalent of a 150-160mm 26″ bike would be a 120-130mm 29e

Except that when you land a drop/jump, 120-130mm of suspension doesn’t feel like 150-160mm of travel. Yes, it rolls over stuff better, but bikes aren’t always rolling. Mine certainly isn’t.

jezandu
    Free Member

Things have improved 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Except that when you land a drop/jump, 120-130mm of suspension doesn’t feel like 150-160mm of travel. Yes, it rolls over stuff better, but isn’t really needed at all, jumps are better on hardtails, unless we’re back in 1997 and ‘Hucking’ has come back into fassion, [s]bikes aren’t always rolling. Mine certainly isn’t. [/s]

I see your point, but unless you’ve messed up, or are doing huge drops to flat, 20mm more or less supension will have chuff all impact on the landing.

Cheezpleez

More suspension makes a difference even on relatively small drops to flat (or nearly flat). It may not be necessary but it does make a difference

takisawa2

29″ for me. But it’s taken building a 26″ FS bike to make me realise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Forgive me for starting another wheel size thread but…’ is closed to new replies.