Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Forest of Dean with Kid – Quick Guide?
  • stevextc
    Free Member

So last minute I got the weekend completely work free (I’m usually on some sort of call) so I just booked 2 days uplift for me and Jr. (age 7) at the flyup Forest of Dean.

I’d usually work some stuff out but I’m going to have to work my ass-off today and Friday… so I’m now left with 101 logistics questions.

We got a hotel Saturday night and plan to drive early Sat and return late Sun… (Accom was a PITA for the BH weekend last minute).. hope the M5 isn’t too bad 🙁

Never been before….

Can combined STW wisdom give me a crib sheet….action plan?

Jr. is happy with most stuff but I want to avoid compulsory jumps/drop-offs as he has trouble keeping his front wheel up in the air. He’s fine for a 1′ drop-off and get’s hairy towards 2′ (it doesn’t need to be roll-able on 24″ but I don’t really want a OTB at speed or him half doing a double)

I’m thinking we can try anything if we have a slow run 1st (and sinbce we got up[lift then try it a second and third time) but any specific warnings ? Unexpected stuff???

Practical wise can we expect to just get some food in the cafe or will that eat into uplift time massively (not the eating bit but to/fro and queue’s)? Do we even need to carry drinks or can we just grab something at the bottom easily then grab another uplift???

Are loan tools available? If I leave my main tools in the car can I easily go back and forth???? (I might have a slow leak on a brake lever/olive… so I might want to check and top-up if I have)

Bike locks??? What’s the story? I don’t mean leaving a bike unattended for an hour… but queuing for a coffee etc?? (I know Swinley/Guisburn/QECP Forest I keep an eye open whilst grabbing a coffee but don’t lock…. whereas Sherwood I wouldn’t tie a shoelace without triple locking the bike)

(Sorry Sherwood.)

weeksy

You’re aware it’s that Mini Enduro race on Sat morning i chatted to you about. I’m sure he could get an entry.
    9.30am practice, 10.30 race start, 1 run. Timed.

Get his entry in ! My lad will be racing.

http://pedalabikeaway.co.uk/little-fodders-club/

http://pedalabikeaway.co.uk/product/little-fodder-races/

It’s only £6 for entry and they have a blast 🙂

wallop

As far as I’m aware, apart from the usual rooty steps in the trail, all big drops are avoidable. There aren’t many though – just the one on GBU as I remember it.

Have fun! FoD is my fave in this neck of the woods.

stevextc
    Free Member

You’re aware it’s that Mini Enduro race on Sat morning i chatted to you about. I’m sure he could get an entry.
    9.30am practice, 10.30 race start, 1 run. Timed.

Weeksy, since Swinley work has been PITA! I hardly know what day it is at the moment….

REGISTRATION DONE: I’m a bit worried about timing…. specifically registration @ 09:00
    That seems to be a 06:00ish Start with a 7yr old!

Which route are you taking?? Bridge or round Gloucester ??? Google seems to say both are 2h-10 to 2h-40 … then we need bikes out of car… etc.

(I was away in Denmark then came back last Friday and have been working 24×7 until yesterday. (Literally I have to be awake and check a computer minimum once per hour – do some fiddling and …. so my phone has been on a 1 hour continual alarm)

I got a few hours off on Sunday and we managed a quick Swinley 1/2 lap… though spent a good hour, possibly more on the “New Trail Feature” then Jr. had a fairly bad stack (no broken bones but a huge bruise) on whatever number before Two Tribes (just lost his front wheel in a big hole on the fast-flat section and OTB) … and work was calling anyway we we didn’t do the second part of the loop..:(

)

weeksy

Gloucester for us mate. 9.00 is a bit eager, regs only takes 2 mins and then they’ll all head out for practice. I was a little worried at first as you basically just send them up the hill alone.. LOL. There’s marshalls though everywhere, there’s no section where they’re out of sight of a marshall in the race. My lad went up with someone a year or 2 older who’s the kid of a mate from another forum for motorbikes.
    I then walked up to the start point as it’s a MASSIVE push up for their little legs to the actual start. they did some practicing and then met me there and i then walked down once they’d set off.

They go off in age catagories, it’s nothing much more tech than Swinley, but the rock garden and step-down off the northshore are at the upper edge of your lads initial fear facotr… but he can (and will) ride both, i’ll walk up and show you in the morning.

After the race, my lad and a couple of the other went out for a play on their own. Again, a little daunting for me lol… but they came back mostly OK, but my lad did try and stick with the big boys and failed hahahha.

See you there ealry doors then buddy 🙂

Pancakes for us in the cafe after race.

stevextc
    Free Member

Cheers Weeksy …
    I was leaning towards Gloucester

His last race (Bedgebury) the registration ended up being extended… and took AGES …

After we killed ourselves getting there … I left my bike in the car (which turned out to be stupid @ Bedgebury) and I ran to the registration… (I was completely knackered by the time I did as its a fair distance uphill – had I known I’d have spent the 5 mins getting my bike out) (not to mention my legs are no longer trained for running and they certainly worked some muscles differently to cycling)

After the Bedgebury race I left Jr. with a “random parent” doing a red… (huge thanks if Wiggy’s dad reads this) and went and got the bike… (we had so much fun we forgot the medal presentation and he had to go and collect it after – thanks to Bedgebury organisers for the understanding)

Are you getting your bike out before … or is it easy to get back to the car park????

Pancakes sounds good …. Jr.chatterbox will have to at least stop talking whilst he eats …. 😯

Weekend after we are off to Guisburn Forest… (Grandma lives 15 mins away)

weeksy

I’m not taking my bike at all. However, we’d only been there the weekend before, and had ridden the course that day, so along with that and with the fact my lad had a riding buddy for it, meant i didn’t need mine.
    It’s totally up to you, you would certainly get a bit from riding with him for the first run as the top section is quite steep, like one of the later BLues at Swinley but a bit more off camber/natural, then down the bottom end you’ve got the Northshore and rock garden section, that i rekon he’d like a bit of encouragement 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

Bike locks??? What’s the story? I don’t mean leaving a bike unattended for an hour… but queuing for a coffee etc?? (I know Swinley/Guisburn/QECP Forest I keep an eye open whilst grabbing a coffee but don’t lock…. whereas Sherwood I wouldn’t tie a shoelace without triple locking the bike)

What with the YT and one of the shop guys bikes going missing id take a great big lock and leave it on one of the rails outside for the day then you KNOW its safe. I’ve never had a problem but wouldnt leave mine unattended.

Re trails – like you say first run everything slow. Worst case scenario the verderers crosses the uplift so spending 1/2 a day doing the last descent wont be horrible!

bigblackshed

The car park is right by the cafe / uplift bus. No problems going back to the car in between runs, it’s 30 seconds. I’d echo the “leave a big lock on the rails” for security. But then it will packed to the rafters all weekend. I’d plan on taking as much food and drink as feasibly possible to avoid the queues for the cafe, but then use them if you can to give a bit back to the facilities.

Just my tuppence worth.

stevextc
    Free Member

Cheers v666ern ….
    I probably missed all that …. it’s real PITA when you spend the whole time worrying about your bike being nicked…. I know it can happen anywhere but it’s when it becomes industrialised and stops being opportunist to people who are going specially

Re trails – like you say first run everything slow. Worst case scenario the verderers crosses the uplift so spending 1/2 a day doing the last descent wont be horrible!

He’ll pretty much ride most reds (never found one he won’t) (so long as there is a bypass for anything big)… Weeksy knows his limits in terms of what he needs encouragement with. So I don’t think we will be limited to Verderers… I’m more worried he won’t take it easy 1st time… have a big OTB or bad landing and wreck the weekend (and spend time in A&E)

@Weeksy
    I reckon the Northshore will be his biggest bug-bear. He hates Northshore with the exception of the 2 Swinley Bridges …. it’s always the issue at Guisburn and its not difficult/technical… (it’s to get you across the bog)

I got the 2 days uplift booked so the bike will be in the car at least whilst he’s racing. However I might also be carrying enough camera equipment that it weighs more than my bike…. didn’t really make my mind up on that.

weeksy

IF you want to Photo shoot and need me to guide him down i’m more than happy to do so matey.

stevextc
    Free Member

Just to follow-up.
    Absolutely FANTASTIC weekend…

I can’t recommend this enough to anyone with a kid who would like to try downhill runs. He did everything on a 60mm travel hardtail…. it would be EVEN more fun on a enduro sled but its completely possible on a XC tuned HT…

I’d say a full-face and knee pads are highly recommended…

The uplift is well worth it if you don’t get to ride this often… you can do a run more slowly then get the uplift then progress…

The uplift staff were fantastic

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean with Kid – Quick Guide?’ is closed to new replies.