Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Forest of Dean MTB Website
  • thefod
    Free Member

http://www.thefod.co.uk/
    Dear all
    Have decided to set-up a new website for mountain biking in the forest of dean.Being a local resident and rider I thought it could be useful.

How many times have I listened or read about riders and magazines stating they love the FOD but to get the best experience you need that local knowledge, whether it's due to the lack of marked trails or just basic general information.

Well its a chance for people to share there info either XC or DH

Its early days but just add it to your favorites, hopefully it can take off and will try to add more soon.

cheers
    thefod.co.uk

lister

As an occasional visitor any resources like this are greatly appreciated, shame I didn't know about it 2 weeks ago before my holidays!

toys19
    Free Member

Nice I like it. Although there is no mention of flyup downhill or link to them which I think would be useful?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Very good of you to do this.

– A list/map of bike friendly cafes and pubs would also be handy
    – perhaps locations of bike shops for those needing unexpected spares!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Looks a good idea people do struggle to find the trails.Today i was down there couple of lads from sussex never been there before showed them the start of the downhill runs up by the Sheepskull.makes you laugh the signpost in the carpark to downhill runs/singletrack then you dont get another sign.Might me harder to describe lawn mower/Dr johns/to Dowies then over to Pludds.Thats what i like about the Forest the only way you get to the good stuff is do them for years.Then you get told of a new trail then you find it.Which is crap for people who dont go down there very often.its easy with a map in the peaks/Exmoor etc you can always find good trails not the case in the forest.Best of luck with it.

psling
    Free Member

You'll have to put in a link to Dean Trail Volunteers who are helping to develop and maintain the existing official trails in Forest of Dean.

Lots of news coming up in the next 12 months or so with funding in place to put in a bridge over the road to link Pedalabikeaway with the Family Trails and to develop and waymark the XC Enduro trail of approximately 10 miles.

As dobiejessmo says, whilst maps may point you in the right direction local guides are the only way to find the best bits. Having said that, local bylaws restrict MTBing outside of the designated area in Sallowvallets Enclosure to hard surfaced tracks only…

Anyway, good luck with the website. Who are you by the way !?!

Me
    Free Member

local bylaws restrict MTBing outside of the designated area in Sallowvallets Enclosure to hard surfaced tracks only…

yeah that's gotta be a concern, don't know what the FC would make of the cheeky stuff being advertised. No idea why stuff like the Alien one got removed but I guess (the risk of)people injuring themselves or local tensions had something to do with it- neither of which would be helped by more traffic.

But I'm clearly biased as I know where the good stuff is and like it quiet!*

But nice idea, including the wye valley too?

* 'specially the stuff I 'found' whilst going for a walk with my rake…

sheldona
    Free Member

Great idea for the website but advertising the cheeky stuff outside swallow vallets area could see the end of some of the best trails in the UK if they get over used as Psling says local bylaws etc.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Website looks ace buddy.

One question, the Enduro that is taking place in a few weeks. Is it suitable for the carbon race hardtails whippetts or will a nice 5" full sus be more suitable?

psling
    Free Member

One question, the Enduro that is taking place in a few weeks. Is it suitable for the carbon race hardtails whippetts or will a nice 5" full sus be more suitable?

Somewhere in between would probably be ideal! The route is not technical but it is rooty in places, mostly singletracky, you'd be glad of a lighter bike for the climbs. If you like woodsy singletrack you'd enjoy it 😀

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Sweet, I am going to man up and go hard!

Bedds
    Free Member

But you're giving away our secrets!!! 😕 😉

great site chap.. also in the forest.. who/where are you?

badnewz
    Free Member

That is cool.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Just goes to show what i dont know :lol:.saw a sign on a gate yesterday saying keep to hard surfaces never knew that.So Dowies/Pludds/Lawn mower/motobike trails etc are reallyout of bounds?As said best shut up about these then!.

thefod
    Free Member

Dear All
    Thanks for your input to date and concerns raised.
    Regarding the fact we may be giving away our secrets, outside the designated areas then I agree there is a small risk. However to mitigate this, my intention was to only provide trail info for single tracks etc. that solely use the natural features of the land. The aim is not to publishes or promote tracks that have been created to include man made jump etc. I can assure you I and other friends have been broken by these track types in the past (ie Ambulance called) which was painful. Subsequently most were then amended in term of just the jumps etc. being removed by the FC.
    I think the biggest risk to date which many local riders would probably agree at present is the amount of tree felling this year which has already destroyed many trails. And yes I know it a working forest which is fair enough.

It’s for sure an interesting debate though and I fully appreciate your valid input and thoughts

Cheers
    thefod

mattsccm
    Free Member

To be honest the biggest danger to riding round here might well have been done. That is making it known. Look at the downhills. They have taken a real ammering in the last year or two. This goes along side all the signing, competitions and publicity.
    Lawnmower is wearing out, as was Dowies. The hillside behind the council yard looks like a battle field and after the enduro the place will be full of litter as it is every year. The woods are now littered in signposts telling people where to go. Why oh why can't people just explore? Do we need another centreparcs?
    Just a thought. Maybe the website can encourage poeple to stay at the honeypots and leave the rest for those who want to you their heads.
    Just a thought or two!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I think Pedalabike away is being sold.

I saw the owners advert to sell the business in Cycling Weekly a few weeks back. It said the business had been there 20 years.

Bedds
    Free Member

yeah, 20 years is about right!

I can assure you I and other friends have been broken by these track types in the past (ie Ambulance called)

how is the hip? 😯 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

Haven't you got any work to do or are you still at the Tufty

Dimmadan
    Free Member

If the forest trails are supported by the FC then why shouldn't they be publicised.

The magazines have all been there, written great reviews, races happen there 4 times a year so why should locals keep trails "under their hats"?

It's one of the most popular areas in the country for riding!

DaRC_L

Mmm was looking for somewhere interesting that could be driven to/from in a day with good riding.

Are there any XC type routes that would link into the Freeminer Trail?
    If there was a 4-5 hour route that would be perfect.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The downhill runs are being hammered but thats the nature of the bikes.Then they build another one and the old ones become good again.Dowies is great not worn atall.Once alot of this felling is finished it will dry quicker and be great for years.
    Not sure its a good idea to mark the enduro course inless they are going to change the surface because its not very wide in places and will get hammered in muddy conditions which is alot of the year these days.The forest will never get over used because alot of the new generation of mtbikers are to lazy to go and find the stuff their self. 😆

sheldona
    Free Member

Dimmadan – Member
    If the forest trails are supported by the FC then why shouldn't they be publicised.
    The magazines have all been there, written great reviews, races happen there 4 times a year so why should locals keep trails "under their hats"?
    It's one of the most popular areas in the country for riding!

Agreed but the cheeky stuff isn't supported hence if too many people ride it locals will kick up and the FC will have to be seen to do something. Any 'trail' outside the Swallow Vallets area that's not hardpack ie fireroad or cyclepath is 'cheeky' we're really lucky that the FC mtb ranger is a great guy and turns a blind eye to the cheeky stuff.

I'll happily show anyone round any of the trails but on the condition they don't advertise the trails for the masses. I even too over 160 singlespeeders down the lawnmower and dr jons back in April when the ssec was on.

mattsccm
    Free Member

of course you could always have a little section for CX bikes 😆
    List ambulance pick up points as well. You know thats handy 🙄
    List muddy biker friendly pubs.
    Have a classifeds section. I need another odd bike.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean MTB Website’ is closed to new replies.