Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • forest of dean
  • getdownandgetdirty
    Free Member

anyone got any info on the best places to ride at treh f.o.d?

amt27
    Free Member

just go to peddleaway cycle centre http://www.pedalabikeaway.co.uk/, ride the trails there or ask for information on where to ride, simples

Trimix
    Free Member

Its covered in trails – if you ride for over an hour you will end up riding great stuff. Actually even if you ride for half an hour, you will ride great stuff. Pretty much anywhere is good in the FOD, there are so many trails. Just get an OS map and ride. Start at one carpark, ride in a big square / loop and you will discover lots.

emma82
    Free Member

Seeing as we on the subject, not been there for a while but does anyone know if they’ve marked up any of the race track from the enduros there? I’d heard year before last they were planning to but nowt seemed to happen after that.

To the OP – as above go to peddleabikeaway and start from there, there’s a teeny lil red route marked out which is fun but over in about 30 mins if that. There are tons of nice trails to play on and the downhill bits there are fun looking but I’m a pussy an won’t go on them cos there’s always loads of storm troopers around 🙂

CountZero

There are miles of trails north of Peddleaway, off of the FODCA route, but finding them is tricky, as they’re not official trails, and they come and go depending on how often the locals ride them. A mate rides up there regularly and knows the trails intimately, and I’ve followed him around, but the trail on the ground is often really difficult to see, and it weaves in and out of the trees, sometimes marked by branches laying on the ground. It’s often just a small break in the trees that shows the beginning of a section of trail. I’ve ridden for over two hours in the small area north of the centre, and hardly covered the same section twice. Have fun!

amt27
    Free Member

but does anyone know if they’ve marked up any of the race track from the enduros there?

sections of Enduro have been destroyed due to felling, mainly the last downhill sections to the start/finish,
    plans are to build a “blue” grade route following the Enduro route, this hasn’t begun as yet, but other developments as part of the same overall enhancement of the cycle routes have started, so it is only a matter of time,
    RDFCC will probably be designing a new Enduro route for the race in Sept sometime,

thefod
    Free Member

Just go and explore, that’s part of it’s charm

molgrips
    Free Member

Take a GPS, follow your nose, return to car when tired.

OS maps are of limited use I reckon 🙂

psling
    Free Member

Seeing as we on the subject, not been there for a while but does anyone know if they’ve marked up any of the race track from the enduros there? I’d heard year before last they were planning to but nowt seemed to happen after that.

plans are to build a “blue” grade route following the Enduro route, this hasn’t begun as yet,

Work has been underway for a few weeks now; some new sections of trail to take out some fireroad and some sections away from the RDFCC Enduro course to ease the gradient (close to Joe’s trail if you know that). It’s strange to be exploring in the middle of the woods and finding brand new bridges being built. Several trees bordering the route have been felled or cut back and all seems to be moving along nicely.
    [Common sense bit] please don’t ride on the new bits of trail until they’re ready and open however tempting it may be! [/common sense bit].

Another bit of local gossip:- a new bike hire/cafe/bikeshop is opening in Parkend at the old van sales place, near to the Fountain Lodge. Direct competition to Pedalabikeaway? Good to see new developments, healthy competiton is to be welcomed; be interesting to see how they get on, I wish them well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘forest of dean’ is closed to new replies.