Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Forest Mere?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anyone ride around FM/Liphook?

Have walked around there before but never ridden. Strava indicates plenty of routes around Weavers Down. Is any good stuff easy to find?

Yak

Yes – lots. All the weavers stuff is obvious. Multiple lines down from holly hills viewpoint, rollercoaster across the middle etc. For a good ride I would link up the commons of weavers, conford, gentles copse, ludshott, bramshot, hammer, lynchmere, Stanley, Chapel and back to Weavers, hitting the best singletrack in all.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

As Yak says, loads in there and pretty easy to find, nice suggestion from him too though its easy to get at from the Punchbowl too on an extended loop too. Happy to show you round if you want some local knowledge.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks guys was about to bounce this.

I did the ride from the Punchbowl once and got boggedt down – literally – after Grayshott

Yak, I will the to locate on strave/OS map – is there a good starting point/easy access to WD. On strava looks like lines down towards Old Thorns and Barracks, but I was expecting more towards the Spa. Then there is a little flurry of segments south of the spa too.

BPD – might be heading down this later today and then next week.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good places to park – with easiest access to the top of Weavers?

Yak

Deers Hut car park is closest, or some of the informal spaces on the track from there to Holly Hills.

All my initial knowledge came from bugpowderdust too 🙂 . Happy to show you around too. What time are you out today?

Yak

The bits immediately adjacent to the spa are the lowest in the area, so in this weather they collect all the drainage from the rest of weavers. So fine for just passing through, but you wouldn’t ride all those trails specifically at this time of year. But anything above that drains superbly so will be reliably dry within a day of heavy rain.

South of the spa is stuff linking you back to the Chapel Common area mostly. These are limited to bridleways/footpaths that all get you to points to cross the railway.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yak, I have to pop into FMere itself at some point today. So was going to make an excuse to explore the Weavers Down area. I have run and walked over there in the past but only ridden once on the kind of loop you described, so merely passing through having come down from Punchbowl. Didn’t enjoy the boggy wide stuff before (Ludshott) and after (Linchmere) so must have missed the good stuff. Someone told me that there was some fun stuff around Weavers which is where I was going to explore if I get the chance. Only likely to be a relatively short ride (I want to try out some new knee pads so except some chaffing, hence another reason for a short-ish ride)

Yak

Ok. I was also aiming to get out for a short ride, but a short-deadline bit of work has just landed, so it depends how fast I go now! If you want a guide and i’m free – send me an email.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am going to FM now, will take me 20mins or so. Will be there about 20 min, then might grab some grub in Liphook Sainsburys before riding. Guess I might start riding about 12:45/13:00 Will try to find Deers Hut or alternatively will park in FM somewhere!!

NigE5
    Free Member

Can I add Woolbeading common and Titty Hill area as well some great rides from Liphook.

Yak

Sunk with work now – sorry.
    Sent you a pm.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Worth looking at Woolbeding (Older Hill) and Titty too as well as going a bit deeper down to Iping as well, all easily combined to make loads of different loops. I have in the past done loops that do Ludshott, Wagggoners upto Punchbowl back over to Blackdown, Fernhurst, Bexley then Older, Iping then Chithurst/Milland ridge, Chapel/Weavers then ranges and home. There more on that Linchmere ridge than most people realize and coming from the punchbowl I find it better to drop all the way in to Golden Valley and back out on either the ROW or the next BW down the road from it, you can also cheat it a bit by dropping earlier and up by the pottery then down a cheeky footpath that runs into the top of the ROW.

NigE5
    Free Member

Bugpowder, all of that area, most of its greensand as well.
    I do have some xc routes on GPS from Liphook

Yak

Bugpowderdust’s Golden Valley descent is brilliant. Properly long and varied. From there, the formerly super tough climb to Ludshott (6pack hill) is now re-surfaced and super smooth, so easy to go there, then into Bramshott for stuff like the Predator trail. Watch the jump on Predator if you know it – the landing has got very off-camber and the trees are very close!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yak. Thx for email very kind. Next time!!

Will try your suggestions!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

blo@@y hell yak there is some seriously steep stuff here. Having some mincing moments off the back!!!

Some fun jumps around the mast which are moreme but got a bit out of my depth on one run. Good job it was soft!!

Some easier faster single track near the bottom phew!!

Yak

Good stuff! 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Better than expected Yak. Went up to mast from FM and mucked about on the jumps there but wimped the drop off!

Then went down to Holly Hill but couldn’t find.anyhting interesting – just two traverses one of which was boggy. So went back up to the mast to play about there. Then went over or the xC course (wow exposed in places) and then got out of my depth on the steep stuff. A bit frustrating as it was steep but not that bad but had a bit of a mince there. No easy way out from the bottom !’

Found some fast aingletrack lower down and then some fun little jumps on the track back up!

Thanks for your kind advice

Bumped into a bloke called Dan who told me about a mega jump (slightly hidden) after the drop off by the mast that clears the gully. Would love to see someone make that !

Yak

Aha, lots found, lots to go!
    Pm me when you are next there and I’ll see if I can make it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I may not be able to keep up!! But will do.

Do you know this run……off the back side of WD, about 600m from the top. On the LHS of one of the many deep steep gullies is a run that looks like a bloody steep spiral staircase. I was tempted. But then looked at various easier options on the LHS. Went for the easiest one I could find and got abouthalf way down before I stupidly slammed in the brakes jutsnabove an old jump and then couldn’t gets going again, Very steep but softer ground than the “spiral staircase”.

Yak

Big loamy steep RH berm on entry?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Can’t recall exact entry other than it was v exposed on edge of gully and early LH turn by a tree and then what looked like spirals after that

Much firmly than the loamy stuff to the left including the one I tried

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Went back to the spa for a few days but decided not to take bike. Walked (being sociable) more around the top and found more trails further south including one fun looking ridge in 2-3 sections that ended by above a pond. Might go back at some point. Quite a few little jumps down there too (and one big one over a fallen tree)

Showed Mrs THM where the (hidden) jump across the sunken bridleway juts below the tower was!! She was gobsmacked.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Forest Mere?’ is closed to new replies.